Menu

Pre Algebra and Algebra 1 for my s/n kiddo

I'm hoping to find a work text, written in a very clear style, clean pages, can be with color or black and white as long as the page isn't too busy. We are just getting ready to move into pre-algebra in a few months. I'm looking ahead for algebra. I would be open to DVDs as long as we are printing pages to work off of or writing in a work text. I don't want any copying from a book to a notebook if possible, although I will do it for him if I have to. I don't want anything to get in the way for him, if you know what I mean.  :001_smile:

I don't want any copying from a book to a notebook if possible, although I will do it for him if I have to. I don't want anything to get in the way for him, if you know what I mean.

FWIW, I know *exactly* what you mean, LOL.

For my ds for algebra, I found a whiteboard to be the most effective way of dealing with this (we used aops).  This meant me sitting with him on the couch or standing at the counter, unfortunately.  I would write the problem on the white board (if applicable).  For problems where he needed to do the setting up, he usually could manage easier with the white board than with a notebook - less friction, more fun to write.

I would focus first on finding a program that teaches in an instructional style (for concepts and such) and organization suited to him.  Then, among that short list, see what you've got to choose from for formats.  For example, does he need extra review?  Spiral organization?  Or does he do better with spending more time deeply in a single concept before moving on to something different?  What has he used in the past and did that instructional and organization style work well for him?

I don't think there are a lot of worktexts at that level.  I vaguely recall there being a new one I saw mentioned here in the past few months but I can't remember what it was.  CLE might have one also.  MM's prealgebra worktext should be available shortly - I don't think we will know for sure how busy the pages will be, though I assume they'll be similar to the lower levels - maybe there's a possibility of blowing up the pages on screen, etc. (I thought I read once about someone printing half-pages at a time but I don't know how to do it.)  If you're not already familiar with MM, have him take a look at level 6 samples to see whether he thinks it's too busy.

I would use MUS, clean pages, undistracting pages, video instructor to go along, manips to help solidify concepts if student needs them, could use from prealg right through precalc and they have a level on stewardship.  It is what is working best with my SN kids (and my NT ones too)

We left MUS for other programs, but it has the most clean pages, clear print, big space for writing directly in the workbook etc., that I know of--those aspects of it were wonderful. MM is more "mathy" but the pages are more cramped and busy.

I would use MUS, clean pages, undistracting pages, video instructor to go along, manips to help solidify concepts if student needs them, could use from prealg right through precalc and they have a level on stewardship.  It is what is working best with my SN kids...

Totally agree. We had been using MUS since 5th grade, and decided at 9th to try Harold Jacobs Algebra 1 with our very VS-learner, which is a very gentle and incremental program and has concrete real-life examples for every lesson. He sort of got Jacobs, but it really took re-doing MUS Algebra 1 the following year (first semester) for it to click. MUS Geometry was a breeze and done in less than 1 semester, so we could even throw is some lessons from Jacobs Geometry.

However… Algebra 2, even using MUS, was painful. Took all year and all of the following summer, and we had to keep backing up every 4-6 lessons and re-doing, to the point that we probably did the entire program 3 times, and DS was still not really getting the concepts, but was just memorizing steps.

Some students just struggle abstract math concepts… :(

I forgot that Math Mammoth is coming out with pre-algebra! The timing may work out well too. I'll have to check out the MUS samples. We used it briefly to get over a multiplication hump, and ds did enjoy the videos. Unfortunately Teaching Textbooks didn't work well with him, although perhaps if he watched the lesson and used the workbook instead of the computer it may be a possibility. I wish there was a large convention near me. I really want to see the various programs in person instead of online samples.

Key to Algebra may be part of the package. I used it for DD when she needed a work text with lots of white space. It's kind of "Algebra 3/4" in that it's not a complete algebra 1, but it is more algebra than pre-algebra. And 10 little workbooks, making it possible to finish one in a relatively short period of time without this giant, imposing book to wade through is nice, too.

I like the keys to idea... Adding in (as needed) their fractions, decimals, percent, geometry, measurement along with algebra makes a good choice for a pre-algebra work text with lots of white space. I'd add in something for word problems though.

Also Saxon makes a consumable edition for SN kids called "adaptations". You might look into that.

We left MUS for other programs, but it has the most clean pages, clear print, big space for writing directly in the workbook etc., that I know of--those aspects of it were wonderful. MM is more "mathy" but the pages are more cramped and busy.

This exactly. We eventually left MUS as well, but good instructional videos, clean pages, big print, big spaces, room to work in the workbook, there is not another program that matches it on any of those criteria.

Sometimes I regret that I left with my s/n ds. He made it through, but I wonder if we would have been better off staying... hindsight. He left at Algebra 2.

MUS wasn't challenging enough for my non-s/n dd. I moved her out of it for Algebra, came back just for Geometry but she is done and back to Lial's for Algebra 2.