Menu

Need help thinking outside the box in LA curriculum. :)

Lanette

While adjusting to the new school term, I'm starting to notice that my 7 yr old son (who reads on at least a 4th grade level) would rather burn a workbook than look at it and cringes everytime I have him write something. Lol He would rather curl up in a corner and read a book, be on a stage, imitate someone's voice, etc. I'm sure you get my point. :) He has a few subjects he enjoys doing, but grammar is just not one of them. I don't want to make it hard for him or make him hate grammar before he even learns how to construct a good paragraph. I've been looking at Learning Language Arts Through Literature, but I don't like it. So I need help from someone who can help me think outside the box. I don't know how to teach grammar through literature. Period. I grew up in the public school system and my older son seems to be doing well with traditional programs. So I'm trying to get myself out of the "workbook" frame of mind. I know the benefits of reading are significant, but...how do you know the student is learning the grammar?? This is still new to me and I don't have a very good grasp of the concept. If anyone could point me to any websites or give me any direction, I would REALLY appreciate it! :) 

The original Montessori grammar methods are easy and cheap, unlike the newer versions. It's very physical, instead of using pieces. This vintage e-book is free.

https://archive.org/details/montessorielemen027888mbp

The Sentence Family is Waldorf style instruction and includes lots of storytelling and drawing

http://www.currclick.com/product/41915/The-Sentence-Family?it=1

LLATL is based off of the methods in Ruth Beechick's Three R's. You could go right to the source and develop your own lessons.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Rs-Ruth-Beechick/dp/0880620749/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408049294&sr=8-1&keywords=the+three+r%27s

The free grammar flashcards for Classical Writing can be used as a stand alone product.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kathy-weitz/fable-flashcards/ebook/product-20348635.html

Mad Libs

http://www.madlibs.com

Schoolhouse Rock! videos

http://www.amazon.com/Schoolhouse-Rock-Special-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00005JKTY

While adjusting to the new school term, I'm starting to notice that my 7 yr old son (who reads on at least a 4th grade level) would rather burn a workbook than look at it and cringes everytime I have him write something. Lol He would rather curl up in a corner and read a book, be on a stage, imitate someone's voice, etc. I'm sure you get my point. :) He has a few subjects he enjoys doing, but grammar is just not one of them. I don't want to make it hard for him or make him hate grammar before he even learns how to construct a good paragraph. I've been looking at Learning Language Arts Through Literature, but I don't like it. So I need help from someone who can help me think outside the box. I don't know how to teach grammar through literature. Period. I grew up in the public school system and my older son seems to be doing well with traditional programs. So I'm trying to get myself out of the "workbook" frame of mind. I know the benefits of reading are significant, but...how do you know the student is learning the grammar?? This is still new to me and I don't have a very good grasp of the concept. If anyone could point me to any websites or give me any direction, I would REALLY appreciate it! :)

Well, the author of Writing Strands, Dave Marks, didn't believe it was necessary to have a separate, focused study of grammar. He thought it was better to focus on writing, when correcting the grammar has more to do with making the writing more understandable than just learning parts of speech. :-)

I see his point, and although I don't believe it's necessary for native speakers of English to study their own grammar for 12 years, I do think one or two good years of grammar (grammar being only component of "language arts") is a good thing. In our family, that means grammar when the dc are 10 or 11 ("grade" level is irrelevant). and then we use Easy Grammar.

I think MCT (Michael Clay Thompson) would be perfect for you. I hated grammar-- and doing that with my son made me enjoy it as well as him. You just sit back, relax, read a story together and by the end... You get it. No workbook involved. You can do one simple sentence a day ( out of a easy WB but not in the trad WB style) to cement it all. It's fun, simple, engaging and perfect for any kid who hides when you say grammar. Even though they recommend it for 3rd grade up.. If he is reading at the 4th grade level you will be fine.

You could simply take sentences from whatever books he's reading.  Have him rewrite them.  Have him find specific parts of speech.  For example, at that age, you could focus on types of sentences, good punctuation, nouns, verbs, and subject and predicate.  I wouldn't do much more and I'd stay on one subject for a long time using lots of different sentences for copywork. 

You could simply take sentences from whatever books he's reading.  Have him rewrite them.  Have him find specific parts of speech.  For example, at that age, you could focus on types of sentences, good punctuation, nouns, verbs, and subject and predicate.  I wouldn't do much more and I'd stay on one subject for a long time using lots of different sentences for copywork. 

It's funny you say this because last night as I was almost completely asleep, this idea popped into my head. Lol 

My dd9 is very much like that.  I looked at FLL and thought it would bore her (or me) to tears.  I couldn't bring myself to do anything else formal at that age.  We did do a year of Latin at 7yo.  Also WWE and SWR have a fair amount of grammar thrown in.  Last year, we did Grammarland with great success.  And this year, we are doing MCT Island.  She took the MCT pre-test and got about 80% correct, so I think our lack of formal grammar has not hindered her in the least.  

I have bolded the part that is exactly like my 7 year old son.  We are doing BJU English 2 and are really liking it. It is a chapter of grammar and then a chapter of writing.

I have bolded the part that is exactly like my 7 year old son.  We are doing BJU English 2 and are really liking it. It is a chapter of grammar and then a chapter of writing.

LOL...We are actually doing BJU English 3 and while he IS doing well at it, (according to the end-of-chapter assessment he took yesterday...he only missed 1) he still hangs his shoulders and sighs every time he does his English. :/ And some days it's simply agonizing to get any work done and then it takes him FOREVER. Before yesterday, I thought it was maybe too much for him and/or that he wasn't learning anything, but I was wrong. I am still planning on making some adjustments, though.