Menu

Algebra 2 - what to use?

My daughter has done Rod and Staff arithmetic 1-5 and mathematics 6-8, Jacobs Algebra in 9th, and Jacobs Geometry in 10th which she's almost finished with...

She's going into 11th and I'm clueless on what to choose for Algebra 2. :blushing: I'm not mathy at. all. Hubby is excellent in math and will be the one researching the options, so I'm pulling together a good list to work off of so he can do that. So far I've got the following:

Chalkdust (the cost!!! :ack2: :ack2: :ack2: )

Teaching Textbooks (my daughter isn't thrilled with the TT video but she can do the book without that, right?)

Lials (where does one buy that???)

Glencoe (all I know is a Christian private school in our area uses it)

Prentice Hall (all I know is that Highlands Latin School uses it)

Saxon (not really an option because 1. not a Saxon fan and 2. looks to have a good amount of Geometry in it which she's had already)

What to do? She's fluent in math - not advanced but not behind. She grasps the concepts well and when she is confused, my husband is a great help. She hasn't needed a video based teaching set up, but we're not opposed to it. We just need a solid Intermediate Algebra book.

Suggestions?? Thank you! :D

Lial is solid and easy to teach/learn from -- the complete teaching lesson is in the text.  It is set up for block scheduling so each lesson is about 2 days of work.

The changes between editions are minor-- I use the 8th with my classes.  If you want the cd lessons just in case you should go with the 9th --the 10th is still too expensive.

You can find the 9th editions in 'very good ' to 'like new' on Amazon for under $25.

• Paperback: 904 pages
  • Publisher: Pearson; 9th edition (January 7, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0321574974
  • ISBN-13: 978-0321574978

The student text is all you really need-- it has homework and test answers in back. 

Solutions manuals are available (I do not suggest them for student use but your DH may want one if he needs to refresh) the isbn for those will be on the back cover of the text.

A very highly regarded textbook I am considering is Foerster's Algebra II with Trig.  Math without Borders has supplemental lessons that go with the book as well if desired.

Dolciani Algebra 2 and Trig is another excellent choice.  The 1960s edition is a cult classic, though harder to find.  Wilson Hill Academy, where my son is enrolled for Geometry this Fall, uses Dolciani for Algebra 2.   If this year goes well we may follow with this course for Algebra 2.

Dolciani Algebra 2 and Trig[/url] is another excellent choice. The 1960s edition is a cult classic, though harder to find. Wilson Hill Academy where my son is enrolled for Geometry in this Fall uses Dolciani forAlgebra 2. If this year goes well we may follow with this course for Algebra 2.

I've signed my older dd up for Alg2 w/ Wilson Hill. Younger dd's in Geometry. If it goes well w/ older dd, I'll likely have younger continue. Heck, I'll already have the book... :)

I've signed my older dd up for Alg2 w/ Wilson Hill. Younger dd's in Geometry. If it goes well w/ older dd, I'll likely have younger continue. Heck, I'll already have the book... :)

Oh great! We are really looking forward to class starting soon.  I will definitely want to follow-up with you regarding WHA's Algebra 2 course after we finish Geometry.

Thanks for posting, Matryoshka!

I can't really answer your question, but wanted to say that one of my daughters used TT Algebra II without the CD's and did just fine.  The textbook itself was absolutely all that she needed, and she was able to do the work very independently.  Another daughter who had a tougher time with math found the CD's helpful.

Derek Owens worked great for us...my son has done Harold Jacobs for Alg. I & Geometry...we have used Derekowens for Geometry and currently doing Alg 2 with him. He does the honors and he is labeled gifted and this math seems to be a good fit for him. He uses his own text he wrote for Alg 2. I have also heard Forester is pretty good. HTH

Holt Algebra 2 -  more distracting pictures and sidebars than I like but complete in topic coverage and has decent explanations

also student edition has quizzes and chapter tests so good for home school

enough answers in back so additional TE may be needed in your case

purchase of older edition to save money is recommended !

edition reviewed:

http://www.amazon.com/Holt-Algebra-2-Student-2007/dp/0030358299

(my son just started using this text in his school)

also has online practice tests

example:

http://my.hrw.com/math06_07/nsmedia/practice_tests/alg2/alg2_pt_ffs.html