Menu

Here is the history curriculum I want you all to design while I'm on vacation.

:)

I know there are versions of this around, but I don't want to have to tweak an existing program.

4 year rotation 

Narrative spine

Output primarily CM type narrations (oral in the younger years, written as they get older)

Simple timeline and mapping activities

No long list of extra reading

Here's the extra element that is important to me:

Brief CC-type sentence for each main topic from reading to be learned after the topic has been studied.  Preferably with a catchy-tune CD. :)

Possibly geared for the whole family up through 8th grade.

So get on it! :)  (you catch my kidding tone, right?)  But seriously, I can dream.  I just don't want to put it together myself.  I'm too tired. :)

LOL--

SOTW. Use the text, and buy the activities manual. Do the maps from the student pages in the manual.  You don't have to do extra reading if you don't want to. Have the olders read the coordinating encyclopedia entries and outline those.

Use the history sentences that coordinate with it that Hannah at the yahoo group, hannahs homeschool helps has.

Easy-Peasy.

I know there are versions of this around, but I don't want to have to tweak an existing program.

4 year rotation

Narrative spine

Output primarily CM type narrations (oral in the younger years, written as they get older)

Brief CC-type sentence for each main topic from reading to be learned after the topic has been studied. Preferably with a catchy-tune CD. :)

So get on it! :) (you catch my kidding tone, right?) But seriously, I can dream. I just don't want to put it together myself. I'm too tired. :)

Is that all? Lol

So far, I'm thinking STOW used according to SCM plans. (no activity book)  

All I would need is the catchy-tune CD!  so......

I do like the BF idea of a poem to memorize the timeline.  But once again, I don't want to piece stuff together.

LOL--

SOTW. Use the text, and buy the activities manual. Do the maps from the student pages in the manual.  You don't have to do extra reading if you don't want to. Have the olders read the coordinating encyclopedia entries and outline those.

Use the history sentences that coordinate with it that Hannah at the yahoo group, hannahs homeschool helps has.

Easy-Peasy.

I was going to say SOTW + Hannah's Helpers memory work. Forgot Easy Peasy. Good call, Chris!

*Waving to mama25angels*

Yes--timeline photos, sentences, and little cards with summaries (kinda like VP) for each chapter of each SOTW.

Could you spend one hour at the library, writing down the encyclopedia entries for each chapter, and then not get the activity guide?

Honestly, I wouldn't use SOTW for above 6th grade, but you could use k12 Human Odyssey as the spine for those ages--except I think it's only 3 years per rotation.

LOL--it's going to take a little work on your part, I think.

ETA--Oh, is Easy Peasy something real? I just was using it as an expression! :laugh:

See the year we were in CC, the history sentences were a breeze to memorize because they had a catchy tune.  But I don't like the CC sentences because they are too random for me.

Maybe all I'm looking for is a good song-writer.  :)  (I probably shouldn't mention that I have a master's degree in music.  But too tired and all that)

I don't think you're going to get much sympathy on this board for being too tired to work on your dc's lessons. LOL You realize we're all tired and all doing it, right? :D

You'll have to write it, build it by piecing together, fix it by tweaking an existing program, or outsource it, OR accept something ready-made that you don't love with all your heart (but that will get the job done) if open-and-go trumps idealism, because that's homeschooling.

I've definitely done the latter in some years. We can't always be inspired.

Yes--timeline photos, sentences, and little cards with summaries (kinda like VP) for each chapter of each SOTW.

Could you spend one hour at the library, writing down the encyclopedia entries for each chapter, and then not get the activity guide?

Honestly, I wouldn't use SOTW for above 6th grade, but you could use k12 Human Odyssey as the spine for those ages--except I think it's only 3 years per rotation.

LOL--it's going to take a little work on your part, I think.

ETA--Oh, is Easy Peasy something real? I just was using it as an expression! :laugh:

ITA about STOW and yes, K12 would be good for the ages Chris said.

Yes, Easy Peasy is a real thing, but it's not for everyone and it might be too much to add for the OP. Also, I love the Guest Hollow history shelf, but the OP doesn't want a lot of extra reading. And I would cheat as much as possible and SOTW on audio, but that's just me (and my family). 

I don't think you're going to get much sympathy on this board for being too tired to work on your dc's lessons. LOL You realize we're all tired and all doing it, right? :D

You'll have to write it, build it by piecing together, fix it by tweaking an existing program, or outsource it, OR accept something ready-made that you don't love with all your heart (but that will get the job done) if open-and-go trumps idealism, because that's homeschooling.

I've definitely done the latter in some years. We can't always be inspired.

I am totally kidding about the tired part.  This was supposed to be a light-hearted post.  I know it's hard to hear tone, but it was all tongue in cheek. :)

I just know that there are some motivated moms out there who love to piece stuff together.  Isn't that where most "pre-packaged" curriculum started?  So in case someone was feeling the curriculum writing itch, I was putting my order in. :)  I'll pay money!

4 year rotation 

Narrative spine

Brief CC-type sentence for each main topic from reading to be learned after the topic has been studied.  Preferably with a catchy-tune CD. :)

So get on it! :)  (you catch my kidding tone, right?)  But seriously, I can dream.  I just don't want to put it together myself.  I'm too tired. :)

This sounds like WinterPromise to me for history with Mystery of History as the spine.  For the copy work you describe, I would use Spelling Wisdom from Simply Charlotte Mason.

4 year rotation 

Narrative spine

Am I the only one that feels like this is nearly EVERY history option?  Or at the very least that there are half a dozen such?  I mean, CM output can be tacked onto anything.  The fact that is doesn't require a "curriculum" is half the point.  And just because something HAS a long booklist doesn't mean you have to USE it.  

Now, a history option that works by location instead of chronologically.  THAT would be unique.  And just happens to be what I would like :/  I agree with Tibbie.  You create it, you tweak it, or you deal with less than perfect.  We deal with SOTW around here.

But I understood the tongue in cheek tone. If someone wrote my dream history- or even BETTER, a solid, secular, literature based, easy to implement, 4 year science rotation- I'd just start chucking cash at them.  With the time it would save me (since I create my own science) it'd be worth hundreds :P

4 year rotation

Narrative spine

Brief CC-type sentence for each main topic from reading to be learned after the topic has been studied. Preferably with a catchy-tune CD. :)

So get on it! :) (you catch my kidding tone, right?) But seriously, I can dream. I just don't want to put it together myself. I'm too tired. :)

You may borrow my magic wand. ;)