Menu

May I ask about Greenville, SC?

Alicia64

DH who is actively job hunting is now looking at a job in Greenville, South Carolina -- not NC.

We currently live closer to DC. I love it here, but we can't stay. DH wants his IT job back. There's one in the Atlanta region -- but he hasn't gotten a call back -- and one in Greenville that he thinks he could score.

Question: is this a good idea to move to Greenville, SC? We're from the West Coast and don't know the state at all. From a map's perspective it looks small and uninviting (ie. not a lot to do), but I also see that it has a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods.

Here's what we love in order of importance:

Neighborhood safety (we can pay up to $1900/mo. in rent -- we're not ready to buy).

Libraries

Thriving homeschool community (I have twin 11 yr. old boys)

Pools (for swimming/play -- kids don't do swim team)

Dog Parks

Theater

Travel -- where do Greenville, SC people travel to?

Beach

Can you recommend a region to look for a house. DH would be working at the Greenville Health System -- 701 Grove Rd, Greenville, SC 29605.

Thanks for any and all help!

Alley

DH who is actively job hunting is now looking at a job in Greenville, South Carolina -- not NC.

We currently live closer to DC. I love it here, but we can't stay. DH wants his IT job back. There's one in the Atlanta region -- but he hasn't gotten a call back -- and one in Greenville that he thinks he could score.

Question: is this a good idea to move to Greenville, SC? We're from the West Coast and don't know the state at all. From a map's perspective it looks small and uninviting (ie. not a lot to do), but I also see that it has a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods.

Here's what we love in order of importance:

Neighborhood safety (we can pay up to $1900/mo. in rent -- we're not ready to buy).

Libraries

Thriving homeschool community (I have twin 11 yr. old boys)

Pools

Dog Parks

Theater

Travel -- where do Greenville, SC people travel to?

Beach

Thanks for any and all help!

Alley

If you need to move to SC, Greenville is a great choice.  It has some nicer neighborhoods, parks, and a beautiful downtown area.  There is more of a natural flair there so organics and natural foods are more available than other parts of SC.  BJU is there so homeschoolers are galore.  Probably mostly conservative/Christian if that doesn't bother you?  

Greenville is not far from the SC Mountain State parks. Google Table Rock State Park.  Beautiful hiking.  Also, you can head north a bit and hit Dupont State Forest.  There are some great falls there and several movies have been filmed there like Last of the Mohicans and Hunger Games.

http://ncforestservice.gov/contacts/dsf.htm

There are some beautiful beaches within driving distance.  Hilton Head Island and Hunting Island are winners.  Also, Edisto Island is supposed to be nice. 

I don't live in Greenville but I live in South Carolina. The Greenville-Spartanburg area has quite a few things and I know the homeschool community there is pretty active. I've noticed many accountability groups are actually based in that area. I'll let someone who has lived there tell you specifics about housing, but overall housing is much cheaper in the South than it is on the West Coast from what I understand so you shouldn't have a problem in that regards.

I knew a homeschooling family that moved there a few years back and they were heavily involved in competitive swimming while they were there as well, so there are definitely opportunities for that if that's what you men by pools.

As far as travel, I'd say that's one of the great things about South Carolina. You're never really more than a few hours drive from the beach or mountains!

I grew up not too far from Greenville, SC. I love the area. It's a nice little city, with more culture and nightlife than you'd expect based on its size (though I'm sure it doesn't compare to the really big cities in that regard). It's relatively safe, relatively inexpensive to live there, and nicely located within a day's easy drive of beaches and mountains--a longer day's drive to DC and a much longer but still do-able drive to Florida vacation destinations. If I were to move back to South Carolina, Greenville would be my city of choice. In fact, on those days when my current international life seems like too much adjustment/confusion/stress to bear, it's Greenville I fantasize about moving to.

I live in Greenville.

Because BJU is here people often think it the homeschooling community will be mostly Conservative but we are a part of a large Secular homeschool group with nearly 300 families. There are other groups in addition to that one. We are not Conservative and have not lacked for people to hang out with. There are some Conservative groups which require statements of faith.

It is a pretty town, we are near the mountains with tons of great hiking, waterfalls, and swimming holes for kids to play in. It has a lot of great biking trails. If someone is into the outdoors then it is a really awesome place to be. I love it here. We moved here from Kansas and honestly, we were so charmed by the mountains that it took us two years before we actually went to the beach and even then it was with the ILs who were visiting. They said they regretted that day at the beach and want more mountain time next time.

There are several museums and cultural things here in town but Columbia is about an hour and a half away. Charlotte, NC is also only a short 1 1/2 drive as well and it has an Ikea and all that jazz. Asheville, NC is one hour away and it is considered to be a lovely sort of hippie town. Atlanta is only two hours away. 

I have to admit, I don't care for the beaches around here, they are too rough. If we go swimming it is in the local lakes and rivers. There is a gorgeous mountain spring fed lake and many waterfalls the kids like to play in. If you do move here I would recommend getting a state park pass.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-passport/default.aspx

I live in Greenville.

Because BJU is here people often think it the homeschooling community will be mostly Conservative but we are a part of a large Secular homeschool group with nearly 300 families. There are other groups in addition to that one. We are not Conservative and have not lacked for people to hang out with. There are some Conservative groups which require statements of faith.

It is a pretty town, we are near the mountains with tons of great hiking, waterfalls, and swimming holes for kids to play in. It has a lot of great biking trails. If someone is into the outdoors then it is a really awesome place to be. I love it here. We moved here from Kansas and honestly, we were so charmed by the mountains that it took us two years before we actually went to the beach and even then it was with the ILs who were visiting. They said they regretted that day at the beach and want more mountain time next time.

There are several museums and cultural things here in town but Columbia is about an hour and a half as well. Charlotte, NC is also only a short 1 1/2 drive as well and it has an Ikea and all that jazz. Asheville, NC is one hour away and it is considered to be a lovely sort of hippie town. Atlanta is only two hours away. 

I have to admit, I don't care for the beaches around here, they are too rough. If we go swimming it is in the local lakes and rivers. There is a gorgeous mountain spring fed lake and many waterfalls the kids like to play in. If you do move here I would recommend getting a state park pass.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-passport/default.aspx

Have you been to Hilton Head?  Myrtle is rough and cuts your feet. HHI has much softer sand.

Have you been to Hilton Head?  Myrtle is rough and cuts your feet. HHI has much softer sand.

Yes, but the water is still pretty rough and can have some bad undertow. We are going to try some other beaches in a few weeks.

I have a six year old boy so it is easier to take him somewhere where the water is more calm.

As for your list

Neighborhood safety (we can pay up to $1900/mo. in rent -- we're not ready to buy). Simpsonville is a nice area but you probably won't have much trouble find a home in a nice neighborhood for that.

Libraries There are quite a few libraries here and they are all connected. You can have books brought to your local library and you can drop books off at any branch.

Thriving homeschool community (I have twin 11 yr. old boys) It is the largest homeschooling community I have seen. It is very diverse.

Pools There are pools but the local lakes, rivers, and waterfalls are cheaper and IMO more fun. Lots of communities have pools.

Dog Parks There are several dog parks around the city.

Theater Yep, there are children's programs and our Shakespeare in the park is free. It takes place in a downtown park.

Travel -- where do Greenville, SC people travel to? I listed several things above.  :)

Beach There are beaches a few hours away but like I said, you are going to be charmed by the local swimming holes. They are stunning.

When it is warm most of our park days involve water. :lol: The Carolinas have some of the prettiest state parks in the country and many of them are a short drive away.

It does have a Costco, in case you are wondering. 

My mother grew up there and we've stopped there several times en route places - when the kids were smaller we would take them to the children's museum there and we've been to the lovely city park there - and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice little downtown and a nice vibe it had.  Definitely more of a cool feeling than I would have expected (which, I really don't mean that in a bad way...  I just was pleasantly taken aback).  You're close to Charlotte and Atlanta and the beach and not far from the mountains and right on major interstates.  It's a good location in that sense.

My mother grew up there and we've stopped there several times en route places - when the kids were smaller we would take them to the children's museum there and we've been to the lovely city park there - and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice little downtown and a nice vibe it had.  Definitely more of a cool feeling than I would have expected (which, I really don't mean that in a bad way...  I just was pleasantly taken aback).  You're close to Charlotte and Atlanta and the beach and not far from the mountains and right on major interstates.  It's a good location in that sense.

The downtown is very pretty. Greenville restored their downtown before a lot of other cities did, some city planners still come to Greenville to see our downtown.

This is a picture of downtown. It has a ton of fun shops and restaurants. The Shakespeare in the park is er...well it would be right behind this picture. It is under the bridge in that green grass. There are festivals and such held downtown.

Liberty_Bridge.jpg

[/center]

It's a pretty area with a reasonable cost of living. We have relatives in the area.

As for homeschooling, the community is largely BJU dominated and this means very exclusive. SOF are tight and will not include liturgical traditions - very hostile...family there has had very bad experiences - Methodists, Weslyans, Nazarenes, couples in which one has been previously divorced....they have a very long discrimination list and there is a need for secular, inclusive groups. So you'll need to consider whether or not your family would fit the criteria well enough to participate. Clemson is not that far though so there are more homeschoolers that are secular in that area. It's about a 33 minute drive and might he worth it. That area can be more pricey if you chose to settle there, but really, really nice and friendly and beautiful as well.

It's a pretty area with a reasonable cost of living. We have relatives in the area.

As for homeschooling, the community is largely BJU dominated and this means very exclusive. SOF are tight and will not include liturgical traditions - very hostile...family there has had very bad experiences - Methodists, Weslyans, Nazarenes, couples in which one has been previously divorced....they have a very long discrimination list and there is a need for secular, inclusive groups. So you'll need to consider whether or not your family would fit the criteria well enough to participate. Clemson is not that far though so there are more homeschoolers that are secular in that area. It's about a 33 minute drive and might he worth it. That area can be more pricey if you chose to settle there, but really, really nice and friendly and beautiful as well.

There are secular, inclusive groups.

I can send someone links if they are having trouble finding them.

There are secular, inclusive groups.

I can send someone links if they are having trouble finding them.

Can you send me some? We've long thought of moving to Greenville. It will probably be a couple more years, but I'd definitely need to find secular/inclusive groups. I haven't researched recently, but I didn't find any when I searched a couple of years ago.

Can you send me some? We've long thought of moving to Greenville. It will probably be a couple more years, but I'd definitely need to find secular/inclusive groups. I haven't researched recently, but I didn't find any when I searched a couple of years ago.

I would love to receive a list of secular homeschool groups too! Thanks!

Everyone -- would it be crazy to rent a house in Fountain Inn if DH has to drive into Greenville?

Alley

I would love to receive a list of secular homeschool groups too! Thanks!

Everyone -- would it be crazy to rent a house in Fountain Inn if DH has to drive into Greenville?

Alley

No, Fountain Inn isn't too far for a commute and it is cute. But one major thing is that Fountain Inn is going to be on the far Southern side of the city so you might be driving a bit for some playgroups, park days and such.

No, Fountain Inn isn't too far for a commute and it is cute. But one major thing is that Fountain Inn is going to be on the far Southern side of the city so you might be driving a bit for some playgroups, park days and such.

Thanks "S!" Because. . . playgroups and parkdays are generally in which part of town?

Thanks again!

Alley

I grew up near there and would definitely consider moving back there. There are numerous small communities surrounding it, and good public schools too (I know this is a hs board and I hs, but if you consider buying a home eventually you may want to buy in a good school district for resale). There are lots of conservative Christians, but also several colleges/universities in the area so there's diversity. If you would eventually like to live on some land/in the country, there are plenty of places nearby with land. Traffic is terrible on Woodruff Road, FWIW.

Thanks "S!" Because. . . playgroups and parkdays are generally in which part of town?

Thanks again!

Alley

They are all over it just seems that there are fewer scheduled south. The mountains are north of town and that is where most the swimming holes, waterfalls, and creeks the kids can play in are.

I grew up near there and would definitely consider moving back there. There are numerous small communities surrounding it, and good public schools too (I know this is a hs board and I hs, but if you consider buying a home eventually you may want to buy in a good school district for resale). There are lots of conservative Christians, but also several colleges/universities in the area so there's diversity. If you would eventually like to live on some land/in the country, there are plenty of places nearby with land. Traffic is terrible on Woodruff Road, FWIW.

Yes, Woodruff road is my personal nemesis.

EVERYTHING is on one stupid road. I don't know whose idea that was. Trader Jjoes, Whole Foods, and anything else one can imagine is on Woodruff. It is INSANE.

So...I would try to avoid that when looking at places. It is nice to be near Costco and all but WOW crazy traffic!

This is so completely off-base. While BJU is here and some people use that curriculum, in no way is the HSing environment exclusive, nor hostile. You may be talking about the BJU college, which has litte if anything to do with the local homeschoolers. You must not actually live here to be saying this.

OP, as far as where we travel, Everywhere!! I just got back from DC...easy 7 hour drive. Atlanta, 2 hours, Charlotte, 1 1/2 hours, Asheville 1 hour, Gatlinburg 2 hours, Charleston 3 hours (beach), Myrtle Beach 4 hours.

Greenville is very inviting...you'll find that there are ALOT of people who've moved here, NOT from South Carolina.  The fact that two very large corporations, BMW and Michelin, have corporate headquarters here, means we get alot of transplants for those companies.  Not to mention several mid-size companies in the area as well.  Then we also get the Northerners looking for a bit of the south.  In my little cul-de-sac, over half of the people are not originally from South Carolina.   You'll find that to be true quite often.  So you won't be an outsider.

Swimming pools:  Most communities, subdivisions, have neighborhood pools.  Some offer summer memberships to people who don't live in the community, for a fee.  There Y pools, and one City pool.  We have three small water parks...fun for a day activity.

Dog Parks:  Two current, new one being built.

Neighborhood safety:  Not too many that aren't safe, really.   For $1900, you can get a HUGE house.  We rent a 2100sq foot house, in a newer subdivision, for $1275.   If you have the budget for $1300-$1900, you will be in some really nice subdivisions. As far as Fountain Inn, cute little area, but on the outskirts, and really nothing there.  You will be driving into Simpsonville for most of life necessities, and even further for homeschooling activities.  It's a small little town on the outskirts of Greenville.   Your DH will likely deal with rush hour traffic on I-385 on a daily basis.  Though NOTHING like you have in DC, still going to take a good 20-30 from downtown to Fountain Inn during peak hours.  If you are looking for a slower, country type life, Fountain Inn is a good option.  Also Traveler's Rest is another small country suburb, though north, so you get great mountain views.  If you prefer to be more in the thick of things, closer to everything...consider suburbs of Greenville, ie Simpsonville, Mauldin, Greer, Taylors, and of course within the city limits of Greenville itself.   Within any of these areas, you are probably 15 minutes at most to any given activity, barring peak time traffic.

Theater:  Lots of good options.  Peace Center is the huge fancy performance art center in downtown, that gets the bigger names.   There are several smaller facitlities, including Shakespeare in the Park, Greer (another suburb town of Greenville), etc offer theater options.

Libraries:  Eh, mediocre.  A nice big one downtown, but most of the locations in the suburbs are small.   I'm not amazed by our library system (I've lived in other states, so I've had better libraries), and I'm thinking compared to DC area...you won't be either.

Homeschool Community:  As I mentioned on my other post, Greenville has a very active homeschool life.   Several support groups that offer park days, field trips, etc.  Several co-ops.  Places that offer Homeschool P.E., homeschool Art, homeschool bowling, homeschool lego classes, homeschool choir, homeschool band, homeschool sports teams (middle school and up), etc etc etc.   You could be busy every single day if you choose.  Everyone is not a Christian, and everyone does NOT use BJU curriculum.  It's a very diversified community, but welcoming.  No one will likely ask you if you are a Christian, or what exact kind...in the four years I've lived here, no one has asked if I'm Methodist, Catholic, divorced, etc.   Just not happening.  Yes, I've been asked which church I go to...more in terms of them wondering if we go to the same church, or know the same people...not because they were judging me.  BJU is here, a very strict college, but honestly they mostly keep to themselves.   They don't necessarily encourage their students to mingle with the community.  They do have a great art musuem, that offers homeschool days, but that's about the extent of effort BJU makes to reach out to local homeschoolers besides selling curriculum.  Yes, BJU sells curriculum, but you wouldn't find any more users there than you would find anywhere else (having HSed in Fl and NC, there were just as many BJU users there...BJU just had a big share of the market due to the fact they've been around for a while, have a marketing budget, and are a major player...that's like saying that everyone who lives in Colorado must use Sonlight, since they are based there, or everyone who lives in Pensacola FL must use Abeka, cuz they are based there.  Just simply not true!!) And I swing in and out of Christian and secular groups.   Secular groups are smaller around here, and don't seem to be as active or organized.  They tend to die off after a few years of no one committing to show up to the park day, lol.     Two groups I'd recommend:  Family Touch.org....a homeschool support group that offers field trips, park days, etc.   And then Carolina Homeschooler...this is not a local to Greenville group, but a woman who offers homeschool field trips on a national basis, ie trips to NYC, Italy, DC, etc...but she also does more local trips in the general Charlotte area (which is only 90 minutes from Greenville and sometimes her trips are in Greenville too).  I recommend her because she has a forum on her page, where you can chat with local homeschoolers, so you'd get more specific info from actual people who live here in Greenville....versus people who've driven by, or people who once knew someone who once knew someone who lived here, lol.  

You can PM if you'd like more info or help with Greenville!  I'll give you the names of the Facebook groups that Greenville area homeschoolers participate in.  That's kinda where all the action is these days :).

I just wanted to add, Family TOUCH is not secular. It is Christian and it has a SoF. I don't think the OP has listed a preference. Alicia if you are looking for a more Conservative group there are many of those here. in varying degrees of Conservativeness. I found one group which had a SoF that I didn't really take issue with but also some others that I could not have agreed to. I prefer not to sign a SoF so we hang out with the secular people.

I agree the library isn't the greatest. We did come from a city that had a state line in the middle so the library system was confusing there but we could get a lot more media. The library system here seems to have less books but it is easier to navigate. I am used to going to older buildings stuffed to the rafters with books, the libraries here are not like that but they are easy to use.

There are some co-ops here that have sports that kids can participate in without needing to be a part of the co-op. Dd is taking archery through them atm.

A lot of people like going to BJU for state testing, if they choose to do that, even those that normally use secular options for curriculum. A lot of people like their testing. BJU doesn't really have a large impact on the local HS community beyond that. They do have an extensive collection of Renaissance art, it is worth a field trip.

Have you looked into the SC homeschool laws? It is a bit different than some places, one has to join an accountability group. Carolina Homeschooler has such an option, which is pricier than some but she also offers discounts on field trips and such if one is a part of her association.

Explanations of the laws

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/alegal.html

There are several different accountability groups one can join. If you need the locals can probably provide several.

This is so completely off-base. While BJU is here and some people use that curriculum, in no way is the HSing environment exclusive, nor hostile. You may be talking about the BJU college, which has litte if anything to do with the local homeschoolers. You must not actually live here to be saying this.

OP, as far as where we travel, Everywhere!! I just got back from DC...easy 7 hour drive. Atlanta, 2 hours, Charlotte, 1 1/2 hours, Asheville 1 hour, Gatlinburg 2 hours, Charleston 3 hours (beach), Myrtle Beach 4 hours.

No, i have relatives in the area who were not allowed to join several homeschool groups because they were Lutheran, and were regularly, verbally berated for not using BJU curriculum. We heard a lot crom them about excluded they were. But, they stopped homeschooling in 7th grade for each child and their youngest is now a rising sophomore so either things have changed or they just never managed to find inclusive groups. Their impression to this day is that Greenville was very heavily BJU dominated, but areas closer to Clemson University were not.

Again, just their experience. As for the area, we really like Seneca where they eventually settled.

No, i have relatives in the area who were not allowed to join several homeschool groups because they were Lutheran, and were regularly, verbally berated for not using BJU curriculum. We heard a lot crom them about excluded they were. But, they stopped homeschooling in 7th grade for each child and their youngest is now a rising sophomore so either things have changed or they just never managed to find inclusive groups. Their impression to this day is that Greenville was very heavily BJU dominated, but areas closer to Clemson University were not.

Again, just their experience. As for the area, we really like Seneca where they eventually settled.

One will run into some some very conservative groups, I did when we first moved here but then we found some more inclusive groups. :) When we first moved here I despaired about finding dd some friends but now she is thriving, she has a lot of friends who are as nerdy as she is and she likes it here.

I think facebook helps quite a bit with that.

One will run into some some very conservative groups, I did when we first moved here but then we found some more inclusive groups. :)

I think Facebook helps quite a bit with that.

True! They don't have facebook because they had a very bad experience with a boy cyber stalking their oldest daughter and well, it got scary. So they are kind of unplugged. I could see how that, in recent years, would make it more difficult.

I live in Greenville :)

I love it here. The downtown area is beautiful - we are literally 3 minutes from the zoo, the parks, the huge children's museum, and the art museums. Downtown there is much more diversity. While the Bible belt, there is a huge Catholic homeschool community that I'm part of, and there ARE secular, inclusive homeschool groups if you know where to look. Homeschooling is BIG here, and nobody bats an eyelash about it. I live in a lovely neighborhood, surrounded by tons of public school teachers, admins, and support staff, and if anything they have only offered up their extra art supplies, lol!

$1900/monthly for rent will pretty much ensure you have your pick of houses. Even in the downtown area (much more expensive) that will score you a nice 3 bedroom. If you go more *out*, like Simpsonville, you would score a much larger home (but we really like the downtown area, even if what we get for our money is less, space-wise). The subdivisions downtown are nice; you feel "away" from downtown, but are only minutes from the heart of it.

Beyond public schools (I'm not impressed, honestly; the public schools in greenville may be good compared to others in SC, but they still lack woefully compared to those in other states), you have a TON of private schools. What you do NOT have here is secular private schools, unless you want Montessori (unless I missed something). You have Catholic schools, presbyterian schools, methodist schools, lutheran schools, Baptist schools, and the infamous Bob Jones campus (college, elementary, middle, high). I know nothing about the Bob Jones schools and try to steer far from them (even though they are literally down the street).

Because Greenville has such a thriving homeschool community, there is NO shortage of homeschool events. The skating rinks have homeschool days, the children's museum has homeschool classes, as does the zoo; the dance studios and sports complexes often offer mid-day homeschool class options, etc.

There is a large children's theatre (thriving) here, as well.

As far as safety goes... just check out the whole area. A quick drive through will tell you what you need to know. Check out the surrounding areas as well.

Woodruff Rd is safe, but by golly, we looked at that area and I could NEVER live off that road. Standstill traffic for HOURS on the weekend, evenings, etc. I only go that way when I *have to* - Costco, Whole Foods, etc.

Like Aimee said, homeschooling is big here. Nearly every imaginable venue has homeschooling options. 

People often complain on here about, "blah blah while out and about today people looked at us crazy when we said 'homeschool'"

What I have experienced here is that when I say "homeschooling" about 75% of the time they were homeschooled themselves or know a homeschooler. 

Woodruff Rd is safe, but by golly, we looked at that area and I could NEVER live off that road. Standstill traffic for HOURS on the weekend, evenings, etc. I only go that way when I *have to* - Costco, Whole Foods, etc.

Ugh *groan*

That is also what I do. :lol: I hit Costco, Trader Joes, and sometimes Whole Foods and then I am outta there! 

Ugh *groan*

That is also what I do. :lol: I hit Costco, Trader Joes, and sometimes Whole Foods and then I am outta there! 

I know, I know. *pat, pat*

We looked at an absolutely GORGEOUS subdivision off Woodruff. The house had 5 bedrooms, finished basement, living room, den, updated kitchen - the works; full amenities in the subdivision (tennis, pool, playground, etc).

I could NOT imagine driving Woodruff every day (and I would have had to - no way around it). Seriously - one road was the deal breaker for me. I decided to suck up my 3 bedroom cottage and learn to love it as enough :D

I know, I know. *pat, pat*

We looked at an absolutely GORGEOUS subdivision off Woodruff. The house had 5 bedrooms, finished basement, living room, den, updated kitchen - the works; full amenities in the subdivision (tennis, pool, playground, etc).

I could NOT imagine driving Woodruff every day (and I would have had to - no way around it). Seriously - one road was the deal breaker for me. I decided to suck up my 3 bedroom cottage and learn to love it as enough :D

Nope, that road is ridiculous. There is no way I could live on it. Also there are not as many left turn arrows as one would expect so everyone has to pull out into traffic and then left on red in order to turn left half the time. Ridiculous!

One thing bothers me, why do so many people drive with their brights on? It is baffling to me!

Nope, that road is ridiculous. There is no way I could live on it. Also there are not as many left turn arrows as one would expect so everyone has to pull out into traffic and then left on red in order to turn left half the time. Ridiculous!

One thing bothers me, why do so many people drive with their brights on? It is baffling to me!

I know! And the light times are SO short. Stop - Go, Stop - Go, repeat.

I love Greenville! If we ever have to move, this is where we're going, lol. My DH and I spent a long weekend there last fall. We stayed downtown and fell in love with the whole little city! There was a great farmers' market downtown and tons of great restaurants. We walked to Mass on Saturday evening, and it was so relaxing. People kept telling us how hot the weather was that weekend, but they obviously hadn't experienced Kansas in September :)

I have lived in Greenville for eleven years and the HSing environment can be and is hostile. 

I live in the middle of the state, but I'm in Greenville right now. This is a wonderful town. It has lots of opportunities for the arts and for sports. It's really close to the mountains, and not too far from the beach.

Greenville has the best downtown area. There is a suspension bridge over the river and a beautiful minor league baseball stadium.

I would not live in Fountain Inn. It's on the very outskirts of Greenville. We have lots of friends near Simpsonville. I know one nice (but older) neighborhood is Sugar Creek, but there are tons of great ones.

As far as BJU, unless one is directly involved with the school, it isn't a blip on a radar. I don't know anyone (in real life) that ever mentions it.

Columbia, which is an hour and a half away, has an amazing zoo and several great museums.

Greenville Zoo is a very nice little zoo. Two key words: "nice" and "little." It's a great place to spend a couple hours, maybe half a day ... maybe longer if you get the baboons going and enjoy the show. But you really can get through the whole thing in just a couple of hours. But it is very well done for what it is.

It takes us thirty minutes to get through the Greenville zoo. It isn't worth the price IMO.

Every spring the local minor league baseball team sells these passes that have 4 baseball tickets, 4 waterpark tickets, 4 zoo tickets, and 4 children's museum tickets for $40. They are an excellent   deal because the Children's museum is  expensive. That is the only time where we go to the local zoo.  I am used to being near big huge zoos. The Columbia zoo is very nice.

There is a local blood donation place that often gives away waterpark tickets or movie tickets with a donation. I have several waterpark tickets atm. :lol:

I agree with the zoo comments. It's a beautiful,way to spend a fall afternoon, for 2 hours or,so. You may be one of the only people there during a weekday. Fun park across the street, my children would spend more time at the park than the zoo, lol. Columbia, or any other zoo, would be better, IMHO.

It takes us thirty minutes to get through the Greenville zoo. It isn't worth the price IMO.

Every spring the local minor league baseball team sells these passes that have 4 baseball tickets, 4 waterpark tickets, 4 zoo tickets, and 4 children's museum tickets for $40. They are an excellent   deal because the Children's museum is  expensive. That is the only time where we go to the local zoo.  I am used to being near big huge zoos. The Columbia zoo is very nice.

There is a local blood donation place that often gives away waterpark tickets or movie tickets with a donation. I have several waterpark tickets atm. :lol:

We got a family membership to the children's museum - it totally pays for itself within a few visits, lol.

I live not far from Greenville, in Spartanburg County. We moved here 16 years ago from a very big city in CA, and I was afraid I'd be disappointed by the library system, but I must say ours is incredible. They are very responsive to our requests, and most branches have regular programs for homeschoolers during the school year. My "baby" just turned 19, and the workers in the children's department at the headquarters branch still greet me like a long-lost friend when I wander down there occasionally. We may be moving more towards Greenville for various reasons, but I will continue to use Spartanburg County libraries, as they offer reciprocal memberships between the two counties. I really don't care for the Greenville library system. 

I teach at a big Co-op that meets in Greenville County, and have taught at another as well. The one I'm at now is more structured and formal; it does have a SOF, but does not discriminate along denominational lines at all. I don't know anybody who uses a lot of BJUP curriculum. I have never been berated by anyone for my curriculum choices. We also have available to us an incredible homeschool bookstore. It's really a warehouse full of books and other resources. 

River Falls Park (someone posted a picture above) was just named one of the top 10 city parks in the country. The downtown Greenville area is consistently rated as one of the best in the country as well. And comedian Ben Stein is a HUGE fan of Greenville -- he has written about it several times. And the Greenville area is rated one of the top places to retire in the U.S.