Menu

s/o What foods do you bring home from other parts of the country?

Farrar

We just returned from our annual trip back to NJ/NYC (we live in TN now) and I brought back bagels, a jar of dark chocolate spread from Le Pain Quotidien, and some sweets (plum ginger, licorice plums) from Aji Ichiban.  Someone on the other thread mentioned bialys and I was immediately horrified that I had not thought of that.   Next year!  

I thought about bringing back whitefish salad -- a.k.a Food of the Gods --  but that seemed kind of risky, especially in the summer heat.  While we were there I ate it every morning for breakfast, though, without even a second thought to calories or sodium counts, thank you very much.  

Not a food item, but I am also annoyed with myself that I did not bring back Shabbat candles.  I walked right past them in the Stop-n-Shop near my parents and explicitly thought, "Oh, I should get a box before we leave."  Why did I not just get them then?!   Of course, when we got back and I realized we were out of candles, Publix had none, and the Harris Teeter only sells them in little 12-candle packages.  And the last time I ordered from amazon I was not at all happy with the quality.   I'll have to ask my parents or ILs to bring them the next time they visit.  

Plus $4.67 shipping!

I had no idea Mueller's wasn't sold everywhere in the US.  I've always had access to it, so never thought of it as anything special. We buy Barilla and stock up when it's on sale for $1/lb, but I'll buy Mueller's when it's significantly cheaper than Barilla.

Now I'm hungry for homemade mac and cheese. :-)

For the first few years we lived here all we had available was Creamette.  Their spaghetti is fine, but the macaroni gets mushy. Not good.  We can get Barilla now, but I've never seen it go on sale for $1.  I'm sure I could use any old macaroni now and we'd be fine, but when I first moved here it was a way to hold on to my Atlanta childhood.  And since my family indulges me (after 20 years I no longer have to ask them- they automatically bring it when they visit or buy it in advance when I go there), I stick with it. 

NC corn is tough and not sweet because it's too hot here to grow good corn. 

Are you getting Silver Queen?

If I moved from here, I'd have to have Duke's mayo shipped. It's the only one really worth eating.;) I'd probably also have to order the bbq sauce from my cousin's restaurant.

When we go to MI we bring back (TX) Vernors and Sweet Chili Doritos. My DH loves those Doritos and for some reason we can't find them here anymore. We also bring back a cooler full of Chinese food from our favorite restaurant there.

When we first moved to Florida, Ronzoni pasta wasn't available so we had relatives bring it with them when they came down. Now I can get both Ronzoni and Barilla, so I buy whichever one is BOGO at Publix.  Most of what I'd like from New Jersey doesn't travel well. Italian ice wouldn't make it. :) Italian bread and rolls from Italian bakeries take up too much room if you're flying. Also pizza can't travel. Some say it's the water here, others say it's the humidity, but even when the recipe is the same, the bread and pizza crust just don't come out right.

For years I missed birch beer. Specifically Boylan's, but any birch beer would do. No one I talked it up to even knew what I was talking about until recently. I mentioned it to a friend from Philadelphia and she described it exactly as I had been - "like root beer only better". I recently found it at, of all places, Total Wine. I was thrilled! When I asked about how much they had in the back, they offered to order a case for me. So now I occasionally get my birch beer treat.

Dh's cousin brings tomatoes from Arkansas if they're in season when she comes down. Florida tomatoes are pretenders. Arkansas tomatoes aren't Jersey tomatoes, but they're still good. She also sends pecans to FIL and he sends her citrus. 

When we travel to Buffalo (or family comes from Buffalo) we almost always need to make a stop and pick up some Chiavetta's BBQ Marinade for grilling chicken breasts and pork chops all year long.  Love that stuff, and have never been able to figure out how to replicate it.

That's the only thing I can think of.  Other than if we're traveling to a city with a convenient Trader Joe's, we'll stop and load up on Jo-Jo's.

When we travel to Buffalo (or family comes from Buffalo) we almost always need to make a stop and pick up some Chiavetta's BBQ Marinade for grilling chicken breasts and pork chops all year long.  Love that stuff, and have never been able to figure out how to replicate it.

That's the only thing I can think of.  Other than if we're traveling to a city with a convenient Trader Joe's, we'll stop and load up on Jo-Jo's.

My friend's cousins always brought Polish sausage when they came down from Buffalo.