Menu

Hashimoto's vs other hypothyroidism

Jean in Newcastle

I have Hashimoto's….but my treatment is the same (Synthroid).

Apparently, it may be related to my gluten intolerance/Celiac's. (Never dx with a biopsy, but I do have the genes and extreme sensitivity for the past 25 years.)

It's usually more of an academic question if the cause of hypothyroidism was Hashimoto's. In general, it's recommended to check a full thyroid panel at diagnosis (including TSH) to make sure there isn't another cause.

Treatments are the same whether it is Hashimoto's or another benign cause of hypothyroidism.

Beware, if you get pregnant in the future you need your meds adjusted at the first positive pregnancy test. An OB may or may not adjust meds as quickly as necessary and may play catch up with levels. Also norms during pregnancy tend to be different than lab norms given which an OB may or may not follow. I think it's worthwhilwork have an endocrinologist treat your hypothyroidism if there's a chance of pregnancy in the future just to have him/her adjust the meds as soon as possible. In general you don't need an endo for this, but I like to be conservative.

I wanted to add something since you mentioned you have a normal thyroid level.

There isn't a difference in treatment when the thyroid is abnormal but there is a difference when the thyroid is normal. Many Drs do treat people with Hashimoto's with a low dose of thyroid hormone even if the thyroid is normal.

There is a "normal" thyroid level and then there is the level where people suffering from Hashimotos feel best. 

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/hashivshypo.htm

The practice of treating patients who have Hashimoto's thyroiditis but normal range thyroid function tests is supported by a study, reported on in the March 2001 issue of the journalThyroid. In this study, German researchers reported that use of levothyroxine treatment for cases of Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis where TSH had not yet elevated beyond normal range (people who were considered "euthyroid") could reduce the incidence and degree of autoimmune disease progression.

I have Hashimoto's….but my treatment is the same (Synthroid).

Apparently, it may be related to my gluten intolerance/Celiac's. (Never dx with a biopsy, but I do have the genes and extreme sensitivity for the past 25 years.)

My friend "cured" her Hashimoto's through diet - mainly by going gluten free.  

I don't know specifics, though - it happened years before we became good friends.

I would think it would only matter for two reasons:

With hashis you should avoid gluten and maybe even dairy (for some) since it exacerbates auto immune issues

If you have a dr who understand hashis then they will know to keep your tsh very low, much lower than the "normal" range. My dr basically medicates me so that my thyroid isn't producing much natural hormone. By suppressing my thyroid, it turns off the auto immune trigger and keeps me from having auto immune symptoms. I feel so much better - no eye twitches, joint pain, etc

What they have said.

I'll add that from a naturopathic point of view, avoiding iodine rich foods or supplementation is avoided with autoimmune/hashimotos, but iodine supplementation is ok with normal hypothyroidism. Likewise, immune stimulating herbs like echinacea and elderberry are avoided and adaptogenic herbs are used instead when you have Hashi.

Like when you take your hair out of a tight ponytail?

Yes, a lot like that….but I have short hair.

It's bizarre…but I know if I forgot my meds or things change (like with a pregnancy) that is the tip-off that I either need new blood work, to check which brand of levothyroxin I was given (different brands work differently, really…nothing like Synthroid), or to make sure I'm taking it on an empty stomach.

I also have Hashimotos. It's treated with a combination of Synthroid (t4) and Cytomel (t3). I've felt much better since adding the Cytomel. My dr likes to keep my tsh right at 1, and checks free t3 and free t4 as well. My endo says 'most' people in the US with hypothyroidism have Hashimotos.