Menu

Help me pick out a dress?

AmandaVT

I'm heading to a baby shower in 2 1/2 weeks and need a dress to wear. I'm losing weight and my dresses from last summer are too big. (a happy problem for sure!) I don't want to spend too much, since I still have more weight to lose and would rather not waste money on a dress that can only be worn a couple of times before it's too big. And I live in an area of the country where if you're wearing anything dressier than jeans and a flannel shirt or yoga pants and a hoodie people ask you where you're going all dressed up. 

I was thinking of this dress in cactus flower printhttp://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-pattern-cotton-modal-fit-and-flare-dress/id_237136?sku_0=::K6J

The party will be upscale beachy if that makes sense. I can guarantee that at least half of the attendees will be wearing some combo of navy, white and chevron stripe. Bonus cool points if they wear all three in combination. I don't want to look like a lemming, but I also don't want to look like the country bumpkin coming to the rich beach area. 

Any suggestions for me? I'm somewhere between a size 12 and 14 and considering my slow but downward trajectory, I'm guessing I'll only lose a pound or maybe 2 by then so about the same size. 

Thanks!!

I think that dress would work nicely, especially if you happen to have a navy cardigan/shrug like pictured. Subtly beachy, classy, and certainly no lemming.

Congratulations on the weight loss!

I think that dress would work nicely, especially if you happen to have a navy cardigan/shrug like pictured. Subtly beachy, classy, and certainly no lemming.

Congratulations on the weight loss!

I agree about the navy cardigan/shrug. But you could also do a jean jacket.

Thank you!! OK, I think I'll go ahead and purchase it with a navy cardigan. Now I have to figure out what size. I'm short, so I'll get petite and I'm somewhere between a 12 and 14. The medium is 10-12 and the large is 14-16. Probably the large? I have a larger chest and don't want to look like I'm bursting the seams. But I also don't want it to looks like a tent. 

Any jewelry suggestions? I'm terrible with this stuff!

Thank you!! OK, I think I'll go ahead and purchase it with a navy cardigan. Now I have to figure out what size. I'm short, so I'll get petite and I'm somewhere between a 12 and 14. The medium is 10-12 and the large is 14-16. Probably the large? I have a larger chest and don't want to look like I'm bursting the seams. But I also don't want it to looks like a tent. 

Any jewelry suggestions? I'm terrible with this stuff!

Have you used their sizing chart?  I would order based off of that more then the size numbers they use (as we all know they are a joke).

I agree, Lands End runs large. They have easy returns, too.

I just ordered it for myself. Don't worry, I am not attending any beachy baby showers, so we won't run into each other.

I am supposed to be saving money right now, but that dress is sooo cute and tempting.  Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it), they don't have my size in one of the sale colors I would wear.

Well they're out of Medium, so I ordered a large and paid $5 for the quick shipping. That way if it doesn't fit, I can figure out an alternate plan. Also ordered a Navy cardigan to wear with it. Thankfully, everyone there will be wearing flip flops, so shoes will be an easy choice!