Menu

A place to start?

Guest tibi82

Guest tibi82

Hi all, I'm new here. I hope I'm not double posting, but I tried to search for this and couldn't find anything.

I have a little girl who's about to turn 2. We're considering home schooling, but have several obstacles. The first is that I was home schooled as a kid (2nd and 7-8th grades) and loathed it. Maybe that was our curriculum, maybe it was my mother's style, I don't know. But I never ever thought I'd be considering home schooling my own kids.

But here I am, considering it anyway. Does anybody have a place where I can start to do some in-depth research? I'm pretty overwhelmed with the curriculum choices (or no curriculum choices!), but I know if I want to get into this, I need to start now. Are there some books I can read (other than The Well-Trained Mind, which I have on hold from the library) that can help point me in the right direction? Also, I am not a Christian. I am not any other kind of religion either. So religion-based curriculum is not something I'd like to pursue.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!! Where to start---how about with a conversation with us so that you can figure out why you hated homeschooling. If you can get inside of that and understand it, you'll enjoy reading the books and will be excited about homeschooling. I'm not trying to pry and you don't have to talk about this if you don't want to. If you do, here's a few questions.

-How long were you homeschooled?

-What did your mother use for homeschooling?

-What did you like about homeschooling?

-How was your relationship with your mother before she started homeschooling you? After she homeschooled you?

Since your little girl is young, I would start by ordering catalogs.

Sonlight comes to mind, as it's our favorite! It's a Christian curriculum, however, it's not a "we're good and they're bad" type of Christian curriculum. It's not preach-y. They believe in exposing children to all philosophies and beliefs, including world religions, evolution, etc. There's a yahoo group for those who use Sonlight secularly. (I think it's called Sonlight Secular). I had a friend in an old homeschool group who was an athiest and happily using Sonlight....she just skipped the Bible section, which is sold separately. If she reached a book about missionaries or something she didn't want to read, she chose something else from the library or a classic children's book.

Sonlight is a literature-based curriculum, so you and your child do alot of reading / reading aloud, etc.

You could also research unit studies, if you think you'd like something hands-on. (I'm not an arts-and-crafts type of person, but some folks are!)

You could request a catalog from Rainbow Resource. It's the size of a telephone book - I'm not kidding!! And packed with curriculum choices and descriptions.

You could also find a homeschool group in your area, so you can get to know some of the moms and ask what they're using for curriculum...some have used book sales where you can actually see the curriculum in person, which is always nice!

Search for a homeschool convention in your area (or state).

Look for homeschooling books at your local library.

(Btw...I enjoyed this stage! I started researching homeschooling when my oldest was 2 1/2. I joined a homeschool group before she was even 4. I felt like I knew what I was doing - for the most part! - when we finally started homeschooling preschool / Kindergarten).

Happy researching!! :)

I think having a look at the Ambleside website is a good place to start, too. ambleside.org

I am secular. TWTM works for us secular folk! So does Charlotte Mason, with some adaption.

There are lots of secular folk here so if you have specific questions, you can find answers here.

Guest tibi82

Hi, thanks very much to everyone's fast replies.

love2read:

I was homeschooled in 2nd grade, sent to a private (Christian school), and then public school. In 7th and 8th grades I was homeschooled again, and then went to a very, very good public high school.

I can't remember if we used Abeka for all three of the years I was homeschooled, but I remember at least doing that in 2nd grade. I was raised in an Evangelical Christian church, so finding secular curriculum wasn't really a part of the issue.

What I liked most about homeschooling was reading. I loved literature of all kinds. I'd breeze through the literature books in less than a month, and spend the rest of the time trying to figure out the math and science.

I can't really remember specifics about my relationship with my mom before 2nd grade. And in 7th and 8th I was going through a rather rebellious time, as I think a lot of kids are. I am very independent, headstrong kind of person, who learns more by doing than being told. My mom's style is "this is my way, this is the right way, this is the only way". So we butted heads quite often. Also, my mom was a twin who was extremely close with her sister. She will admit that she doesn't really understand independent people, and I totally got that vibe from her growing up--that she just didn't "get" me.

hsmamainva:

I would love to join a homeschooling group in my area; however, I live in a small town in the Bible Belt. The only homeschooling group around here is one that is not only Christian-oriented, but very nearly militant-sounding in their mission statement. I probably wouldn't fit in so well. :) Thanks for the info about Rainbow Resource. I just requested a catalog.

Peela:

Do you have a recommendation of where to start with Charlotte Mason? Her books are not available in my library system, so I checked them out on Amazon. There's not only her series, but several companion books. If you were just trying to get a feel for her system, which one would you choose to purchase?

I 2nd the advice about getting catalogs! This will definitely help you in determining what you would like to use. Many ARE Christian based, but do not overwhelm you with Christianity. Like Sonlight for example, as well as most of the Winter Promise packages.

The main catalog's I recommend ordering for secular possibilites are:

*Sonlight

*Winter Promise

Possible Possibilities:

*Tapestry of Grace's Explore Tapestry pack http://tinyurl.com/4ls5zk(Tapestry could possibly be done secularly...I'm not sure)

*Beautiful Feet (again, not sure)

There are others, but they are definitely Christian; My Father's World, Veritas Press, Bob Jones, Christian Light...

There are A LOT of secular homeschoolers though, so I am sure they will give you some great advice. ;)

On a more personal note...I am so sorry you were brought up in church and yet now feel you believe in nothing. Your parents & church apparently did you a great disservice. I hope you find what you are looking for for your little one...there are a lot of great and FUN choices besides A Beka! :tongue_smilie:

Do you have a recommendation of where to start with Charlotte Mason? Her books are not available in my library system, so I checked them out on Amazon. There's not only her series, but several companion books. If you were just trying to get a feel for her system, which one would you choose to purchase?

The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola :D

Doing Abeka would turn me off of homeschooling, too. ;) We are not a workbook family so we would not do well with Abeka, either.

I would spend lots of time researching the various educational philosophies and methods to see what resonates with you. One thing to keep in mind though, is that you are not the only one in this experience so you have to think what method your child would do well with as well. You have to think of your teaching style as well as your child's learning style. Sometimes that is a tricky thing to do.

Some good books for learning about CM are the ones by Catherine Levison as well as Karen Andreola. In learning more about classical, I would also read Drew Campbell's Latin Centered Curriculum as this gives a different spin of classical than WTM does. Oh, and asking questions here is another great way to learn.

Good luck on your journey.

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschooling Curriculuum. She has a website with reviews as well, but the book is valuable because it takes you through a process of dertining your child's learning style and your goals and evaluates curriculuum in that light. Perhaps it will help you organize the info from the catalogues!

It also warns you about the danger of picking curriculuum that fits your particular learning style rather than one that fits the child. (Guess who needed to hear that?)

When I first researched Homeschooling I used the web--and it is chocker block full of unschoolers once you start looking.

Homeschooling has changed a lot since you were homeschooled. It has changed a lot in the last five years! There are an almost overwhelming number of choices available now.

PS--a curriculuum fair or HSing conference at some stage is also a good idea.

Five In A Row is a fun way to start, maybe in a couple of years. (Also read the abbreviation sticky at the top of the forum)

Somethings you could go ahead and purchase now that aren't tied to a religious belief is the MFW preschool educational toys minus the Wee Sing Bible Songs and SL P3/4 minus the 101 Favorite Bible Stories. This would be a great place to start. Oh, The 2oth Century Children's Book Treasury is recommended for MFW, but comes with SL P3/4. So don't order it twice.

These would be a great start until you figure out what you would like to do.:001_smile:

A good free catalog filled with good prices and lots of curriculum choices can be ordered from

http://www.rainbowresource.com

It's huge but I found that I turn to it each year when I'm trying to select new curriculum as it has great descriptions and recommendations that have always been right on target for me. It has a combination of secular and non-secular curriculums, texts, products, etc.

Myra

Hi all, I'm new here. I hope I'm not double posting, but I tried to search for this and couldn't find anything.

I have a little girl who's about to turn 2. We're considering home schooling, but have several obstacles. The first is that I was home schooled as a kid (2nd and 7-8th grades) and loathed it. Maybe that was our curriculum, maybe it was my mother's style, I don't know. But I never ever thought I'd be considering home schooling my own kids.

But here I am, considering it anyway. Does anybody have a place where I can start to do some in-depth research? I'm pretty overwhelmed with the curriculum choices (or no curriculum choices!), but I know if I want to get into this, I need to start now. Are there some books I can read (other than The Well-Trained Mind, which I have on hold from the library) that can help point me in the right direction? Also, I am not a Christian. I am not any other kind of religion either. So religion-based curriculum is not something I'd like to pursue.

Thanks in advance!

I think that looking into the reasons you hated homeschooling would be very useful and also why you would consider homeschooling for your child. It is very possible to keep your child home from school and by any number of methods, end up with a happy, excited, curious and learned child.

We come from a radical unschooling background; I have just begun to do academics with my boys (12 and 14) and am considering a switch with my girls to a structured homeschooling (structured to us, but probably very UNstructured to many homeschoolers) for my girls (8 and 6). There are so very many ways to homeschool it isn't funny. :)

But first off, I would not even consider anything formal until your child hits 7 or so. Use the early years to read read read read. We are atheists and use the Sonlight literature and have been incredibly pleased. We do not, however, read any of the Christian religion books. Christianity is so forced upon almost every book you read I really don't think it necessary to read even more. And much of Sonlight's Chrisitan books are "ignorant people who were enlightened with God" blather that I just can't use them at all.

And then there is also the Waldorf philosophy and the Montessori philosophy to look at. We were very Waldorfy in the early years; write before read, no TV, natural toys, etc.

Try to resist the temptation to force your child to learn X by X year. If nothing else, I have learned that when they are ready to learn, they'll get it in an AMAZINGLY short amount of time.

And lastly, enjoy. I get as much out of our academic and discussions (we even discuss copywork! :)) as my kids do. This should be a really fun time and not drugery.

Reading your response, it makes sense that you didn't enjoy being homeschooled given the material you used and your personality. It also makes sense that because you are independent minded, you may not want your child in a school situation where her thinking is going to be developed for her.

I'd start reading everything your library has on homeschooling, regardless of the orientation. You'll pick up good ideas even if you end up just skimming a book. Be sure to start a notebook to write those ideas down, you won't remember them later.

It sounds like you'd enjoy Waldorf, Montessori and Charlotte Mason type of approaches. Here are some links-

Waldorf Montessori comparision

http://www.michaelolaf.net/MONTESSORI%20and%20WALDORF.html

Intro. to Waldorf article

http://www.christopherushomeschool.org/an_introduction_to_waldorf_education.htm

http://www.waldorfwithoutwalls.com/'>http://www.waldorfwithoutwalls.com/'>http://www.waldorfwithoutwalls.com/'>http://www.waldorfwithoutwalls.com/

A quick "Why Waldorf Works" article

Waldorf Family network with lots of articles

http://www.waldorffamilynetwork.com/

Waldorf Yahoo group with lots of resources in the files

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/waldorfhomeeducators/?yguid=168450169

More good Waldorf articles

http://www.waldorfwithoutwalls.com/

The book to buy if you do want to start off with Waldorf

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Waldorf-Education-Teaching-Inside/dp/0876592469/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218154827&sr=8-1

I see some Montessori links have already been posted along with Charlotte Mason, so I'll just add this one Mason link

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/planning-your-charlotte-mason-education/

A long time Charlotte Mason homeschooling mother told me that this was the book that helped her define and improve her use of CM ideas in her homeschool.

Peela:

Oh its good other people responded because my memory is crappy, and I think I have read all the CM companion books when I had our town's homeschooling library, but I cant remember any of them at all. I am sure I got something out of them all. You can also just Google Charlotte Mason and see what comes up.

I think all the CM imterpretations are just that- interpretations- and not necessarily how I would interpret CM, either. Once you have been homeschooling for a while, you take what feels right and what works and leave the rest.

Sorry I cant be more specific. I read widely and often cant remember the details!

Before you go looking at curriculum and catalogs I think it is helpful to research your options as to an approach to education. There are many education methods/theories/approaches out there (i.e. Charlotte Mason, classical, Waldorf, Montessori, unschooling, Unit studies, Core Knowledge, etc.) Which one fits your vision for your school?

Also which approach will best fit your child's learning style? At two you may not yet know which learning style is strongest in your child (auditory, visual, kinesthetic or a mix) but in reading about the styles you may see your child exhibiting one over another already.

Once you do this then you can go right to the curriculum choices that fit your educational approach and learning style. Attending homeschool conferences can be less overwhelming if you already know which curriculum to focus on and which ones to ignore.

Hope that helps.

Soph

I started to research homeschooling almost 4 years before I actually did it. Now, a year into our homeschool experience, I'm just beginning to identify with certain philosophies and develop our personal "style." The more you know... ya know?

I definitely agree with ordering catalogs, and ordering them from every source, regardless of religious affiliation.

We are a completely secular family, but we order most of our materials from Christian suppliers. Some of the things we buy are secular, some have religious content that we adapt to our needs, and some have sections we choose to skip.

Secular Homeschooling Magazine (http://www.secular-homeschooling.com) often has articles on adapting certain curricula.

When my girls were toddlers, I just read everything I could get my hands on. When they were preschool age, I began narrowing down the philosophies and methods that appealed to me. Now, in early elementary, I focus on learning more about classical/latin/WTM ideas. Kind of like my own little trivium.:D

I am just starting out, too! I am still researching this whole homeschooling thing!

:)

So far, in my extremely limited experience, discovering/articulating your goals/reasons, educational philosophy and chosen approach is a good way to start (as others have posted!) It does sound like all that changes/develops with time and experience...however, it's good to have some solid convictions/goals in mind to help sifting through the myriad resources :)

One of the first books I read was Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling. She provides a good overview of different philosophies/approaches to homeschooling. She also has a good resources list included.

And I just ordered The Latin-Centered Curriculum from Amazon. I can't wait to read it!

Guest tibi82
It sounds like you'd enjoy Waldorf, Montessori and Charlotte Mason type of approaches. Here are some links-

Thank you so much. That's exactly what I wanted. Not so much curriculum information, but different methods. :) I guess I just didn't know what I was asking for.

I think that looking into the reasons you hated homeschooling would be very useful and also why you would consider homeschooling for your child. It is very possible to keep your child home from school and by any number of methods, end up with a happy, excited, curious and learned child.

What I want out of homeschooling is exactly what you said in your last little bit here... About being happy, excited, curious, and learned. My niece is in a private school where she is all of those things. At 13 she loves school, loves her teachers and can't wait for summer to be over so she can get back to learning. When I see that enthusiasm, I almost always get sort of weepy in a bittersweet kind of way. I'm happy that she has that kind of environment, but I'm sad because I didn't have it as a kid. Also sad that we don't live in her area and don't have an opportunity like that for my own kids.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the different places to start learning. I've got a lot of work to do in the next couple months. :) I've got about 5 books on hold from the library right now, and another bunch in my amazon wish list. It's a good thing I love to read! :)