Menu

A medical WWYD - doctor visit or no?

Truscifi

Babyman was "helping" his brother feed the turkeys this morning, which mostly entails him running barefoot through the yard gobbling at the birds, when he apparently bumped into some thistle. This afternoon I noticed the area appeared a little swollen, but Babyman didn't seem to be uncomfortable at all. At bedtime it was even more swollen. Dh suggested giving him Benadryl, which we did. But I'm wondering if I should take him to the doc in the morning.

I tried to attach a pic but it is too big and I don't know how to shrink it.

I put a cold cloth on it this morning when it happened, and again this afternoon, but it is hard to keep him still long enough for it to do much good. I also put a cream on it that is for rashes and bites to help with itchiness because he keeps rubbing at it. I'll definitely be checking it in the morning and if the swelling has increased I'll call the doc.

I was just going to wait and see, but a friend commented that he would have it looked at because it is really pretty swollen.

For the itching, I find heat is the best remedy. We use it for mosquito bites, bee stings, etc. Heat even worked to stop the pain of a stingray sting, helps breakdown the venom too. put the foot in a bowl of hot water or use a heat pack, the hotter the better as long as it is bearable. Just a few seconds and the itching goes away for some time. Repeat when it starts up again. We make heat packs by filling and old sock with rice, tying it off, and microwaving it when we need it hot.

It could possibly be a bee sting, but ds10 was right there with him and didn't see a bee. Of course, he isn't the most observant person either.

Well you'd think he would have cried too, and usually bee stings don't get itchy until more time has passed. Maybe a mosquito bite that he had a reaction to? Sometimes my kids or I will get a large hot lump from a bite. It just looks like a sting, especially with the little scabby area, but like I said, usually you get a strong pain reaction from that.

LOL!

It was the same this morning. No worse at least. And he still seems to feel fine - not even fussy. I did the poultice just in case there was something tiny still in his foot and will check it again after nap. Which should be anytime now.

If it is a bee sting..... rub some (real) honey on it. I say real, because honey bought at the store may be just honey flavored HFCS. 

If no honey, rub your finger in your soap to make a paste and smear that on it.  Works good on itchy bites.