Menu

Help, please. I've fallen into a curriculum muddle and can't get up.

Oh, dear. Why am I so paralyzed at the thought of my oldest drawing ever closer to that Time We Feel Our Homeschooling Efforts are Make or Break, Otherwise Known as High School. I realize it's just one more year. I realize in the big picture, what he does or doesn't use for (fill in a subject here) isn't life-altering. I realize, as Amy in Orlando expressed so well the other day, that it's not about me anyway.

And yet, for something that's not about me, I'm pretty darn involved. I'm making (most of) the choices and implementing those choices and organizing and yada yada yada. And no, I don't worry about how it reflects on me; it's not that. There are no doubt folks who think I should be doing this or that or the other, but for the most part, no one cares what we do (or not) and that's fine by me. Still, bottom line, I have to make decisions. And I've been camped in indecisive land, with work piling up and ~ as is wont to happen when we're indecisive and/or procrastinate ~ stress piling up, and...bother. Bother, bother, bother. I can't find my way out of a paper bag right now, so reach in and help me outta here, please.

Everything's all hunky dory as far as the four younger guys are concerned. Well, pretty hunky dory, anyway. Most of their schooling is just rinse-and-repeat, having walked the path before, so that's easy. Except that our dear LB/Needleroozer just had to convinced Dy she could do art at home, and Dy had to listen to her and start using Artistic Pursuits, and then sing its praises loud and long. And I listened. And said no, thankyouverymuch, I don't care what you say, I can not, will not do anything at all related to art other than look at art appreciation books and dole out paper and colored pencils. Nothing more. No hands-on art for you, young people!

But I feel bad about it. I do. I feel bad that our art teacher moved away and I've never found a replacement. That the years are slipping past with quality watercolor pencils sitting in the cupboard unused because I begin to hyperventilate when my children so much as eye them. I think back to my early homeschooling days, the lovely images I had of baking and creating art and painting rock collections while Classical Kids CDs seranaded us in the background. That did happen, sometimes, when I had just one young student. It never happens now. And thanks to LB, and Dy, I keep looking at Artistic Pursuits and edging ever closer to caving and wondering if I can indeed change my ways.

Meanwhile, I am still solidly not sure whether to have my oldest continue his Latin this year. I've been waffling on this the whole summer, realizing that I want to keep Latin studies here to just a few years rather than dabbling in it year and year, knowing full well that it isn't the centerpiece of our studies. I am thinking of making Latin a logic stage habit ~ 5th to 8th grades. But Jan (oldest) will be 8th this year and would gladly let it go so he can focus more attention on modern languages. So, one more year of Latin for him or not? I do not know.

Neither do I know what English/language arts will look like for him these next couple of years. I go back and forth as to how I want to pursue this. I'd planned on having him finish Jump In (a writing program from Apologia) and covering Analytical Grammar in a couple of years and using the LA from Sonlight Core 7. The moment I looked at the LA that's incorporated with Core 7, I tossed that idea and instead eyed Lightning Lit 8. Except I don't know that I really want another program. Or that finishing Jump In is even worth his time. Or that filling in a bunch of grammar worksheets is, either. So maybe I'll scratch it all and have a Bravewriter kind of year, delving into Julie's new high school writing book. Or not.

And I am rambling endlessly, avoiding dealing with Many Pounds of Blueberries and awaiting a swift kick in the pants or gently nudge or just something such that I can stop thinking about this, wrap up loose ends, and go on vacation without being so muddled.

Thank you to those who deliver the kicks and nudges.:)

Go ahead and get Artistic Pursuits. You will cave anyway by the end of the year. Introduce it next semester after the holidays.

Finish the 4th year of Latin so he can devote high school to modern foreign languages. Also do what ever makes things easiest for language arts.

Now that we have that settled, go put up your berries.

I have no advice, as I'm stuck in my scanner at the moment. As soon as I have freed myself -- if I'm intact -- I'll be able to coherently answer you!

Hopefully, that'll be sometime soon.....

OK, I'm free now ;)

I think Latin in 5th - 8th is a grand idea, followed by modern language study in high school (like German! :D) One regret I have is dropping Latin with my dd; my oldest did Latin in 5th to 8th, and it has benefitted him (are there two t's in that word? My brain's a bit fried today).

Art gives me nightmares, so I'm really no help there. My dd is very artsy, and the poor dear has been left to her own devices. So, now that you've mentioned Artistic Pursuits, I'll have to google and see for myself. Thank you. I think.

I pray you make your decision and have peace.

Hi, Colleen. A few thoughts - for the past few years, I've been muddled about art choices as well. I'm not remotely artistically-inclined or -skilled...so we have tried quite a few things. This bothered me a lot, since I typically am one to stick with a curriculum, or a book, or whatever - unless it is truly not working for one of my dc. So, to jump from art program to art program bugged me; and, dd who is artistically-inclined, wasn't getting what she needed.

That being said - we are trying Artistic Pursuits this year - and, I'm thrilled already. More importantly, so is dd (13) We are doing the 1st Junior High book; if all goes well, we'll move into the Sr High books next year. I'm very impressed with the instruction and the layout of the book. I also love how it incorporates appreciation with skill in one book. I'm hoping ds 10 1/2 will enjoy it next year, or the year after, as much as his sister does.

I can't help much with Grammar decisions, as I haven't used any of the curriculum you mentioned. But, I can commiserate with your FL decisions. Dd loves languages, and the study of them comes naturally to her. This year, she is doing Henle Latin 1 (which I'm also impressed with) and BJU Spanish 1. She is loving the Spanish so much that I'm considering buying the BJU French 1 for her for next year. I'm just not sure, though, how much I can realistically expect her to be able to do in one year. I'd truly like her to keep on with Latin (as would she) and Spanish, but we both would love for her to learn French. I, too, am mulling Amy in O's post from earlier this week, especially concerning letting our dc begin to direct their education. Dd would love to focus on history, lit, and languages...she wants to earn her teacher's cert and homeschool her own kids someday. While I know I can't - and won't - let math, science slide, at some point I would love to just let her load up on the subjects she truly loves. I'm just not sure when that will be!

In any case...I loved your idea about logic stage Latin. What a great foundation that would give your son. If he has an affinity toward modern languages, he has his 4 high school years to pursue those; the Latin foundation would help him in those, as well is in grammar, vocab, etc. I think that sounds like a great plan.

I hope some of this helps. If nothing else, know that others of us quickly approaching those high school years are muddled and pondering as well!

Get Artistic Pursuits.

If, in 8th grade, Jan does enough Latin to place in Latin II (say an online class or its equivalent level at home) in high school next year and continues on for that one more year, you can legitimately give him credit for Latin I as *high school credit* next year. That's a big bang for your [time] buck, transcript-wise, and then you have the entire year to decide if that's the direction you want to go. And either he has another year of Latin under his belt and he doesn't continue, or you have the door open for two years of high school credit if he does. (This I didn't know until dd landed in Latin II and we saw Latin I show up as credit alongside Algebra I as high school credit earned before high school on her official year-to-date transcript in June.) Anyhow, I'm a big believer in keeping doors open even if one does not walk through them.

No help anywhere else, but I will tell you that having Julie B. (and crew) take on a bit of lit instruction in 8th grade via the internet was a handy thing. Freed me up enormously, as I was in school almost full time. Boomerang, I think it was. ??

Hope you can come to some solid decisions soon.

I think a year of Rod & Staff in Jr. Hi is just the ticket for a good grammar foundation that supports high school and foreign language study. I don't think Abeka (or workbook programs generally) do the job. JMHO.

DD thanks me periodically for taking her through book 8 in R&S grammar. Which makes me giggle, because I can't imagine thanking my mother for ANYthing remotely grammar/horse&buggy related!

Another vote for Artistic Pursuits. It's so straightforward and covers a lot of ground.

I agree with Pam on the Latin.

With my oldest, our main focus has been writing, rather than grammar. We work on any specific grammar issues as they arise.

I was really "waffly" when Danny was going into 8th grade too. The decisions all seem so important! And, they are lol. Good luck.

Go ahead and get Artistic Pursuits. You will cave anyway by the end of the year. Introduce it next semester after the holidays. Finish the 4th year of Latin so he can devote high school to modern foreign languages. Also do what ever makes things easiest for language arts.

Snip snap! You made that look so easy. And it isn't difficult, I know. I make things more difficult when they relate to me/us. When I'm an objective listener, I can reach a decision in a jiffy.:tongue_smilie: Thanks for your help.

Oy vey, scanning...technology....there are people with three digits in their age who can deal with that stuff better than I.

I think Latin in 5th - 8th is a grand idea, followed by modern language study in high school (like German! :D) One regret I have is dropping Latin with my dd; my oldest did Latin in 5th to 8th, and it has benefitted him (are there two t's in that word? My brain's a bit fried today).

Something about assigning Latin to the logic stage seems tidy and do-able to me. Although my first two guys did like dabbling in Minimus and Prima Latina at a younger age, so I may still keep that in the mix for the younger set. If they enjoy it and it requires little from me, I'm all for that, kwim?;) Jan is really gung ho to get going with Spanish, and is already learning German, so I may need to negotiate a bit with him as far as pushing Latin one more year. Either way must be fine with me since I don't seem to have strong feelings on the matter.:tongue_smilie:

Art gives me nightmares, so I'm really no help there. My dd is very artsy, and the poor dear has been left to her own devices. So, now that you've mentioned Artistic Pursuits, I'll have to google and see for myself. Thank you. I think.

Go right ahead. Get sucked into the vortex. Actually, I had looked at Artistic Pursuits in the past and was non-plussed. I don't like their web site, for one thing. It's way too cluttered for my tastes and makes me want to click away, pronto. And I don't like the covers of the books. Sounds silly, I know, but the art on the cover is hokey and I felt like...well, why do I want an art program with hokey pictures on the cover of their books? But once I knew LB likes it ~ LB who herself is an artist ~ and once I knew Dy likes it ~ who, like me, is most definitely not an artist, that spoke to me. So take a look and see what you think. And search for Dy's post about it on the K-8 board, too.

I pray you make your decision and have peace.

Thank you! I am already feeling less weighed down, listening to a few wise friends.:)

That being said - we are trying Artistic Pursuits this year - and, I'm thrilled already. More importantly, so is dd (13) We are doing the 1st Junior High book; if all goes well, we'll move into the Sr High books next year. I'm very impressed with the instruction and the layout of the book. I also love how it incorporates appreciation with skill in one book. I'm hoping ds 10 1/2 will enjoy it next year, or the year after, as much as his sister does.

Glad to hear it! I've decided to go with Grades 4-6, Book 1 primarily with my 5th and 3rd grade boys in mind. They'll be using Sonlight Core 3 and Core 4 this year and next, so the American art focus of the Grade 4-6 books will dovetail nicely with that. I don't think it'll be too simplistic for my oldest, though, either, so he can join in. I considered buying him the first Junior High book, but knowing my penchant for avoiding hands-on art, I thought better of going with two different books from the get-go.

I'd truly like her to keep on with Latin (as would she) and Spanish, but we both would love for her to learn French. I, too, am mulling Amy in O's post from earlier this week, especially concerning letting our dc begin to direct their education.

Yep, same here. That's why I'm questioning the one more year of Latin for my oldest. He's never complained about the subject, but it's not a passion, either. On the other hand, he's genuinely eager about diving into Spanish and I don't want to deny that.

Thanks for thinking through this with me. It does get more challenging as they get older, doesn't it?!

I think a year of Rod & Staff in Jr. Hi is just the ticket for a good grammar foundation that supports high school and foreign language study. I don't think Abeka (or workbook programs generally) do the job. JMHO.

After many years with R&S English, I set it aside last year. It does the job, no question, and liked it well enough. Just felt like a change and went instead with Galore Park's Junior English series for the younger two and So You Really Want to Learn English for my oldest. We enjoy it, though it isn't nearly as thorough as R&S. You make a good point about spending a year with R&S during the junior high stage, but I don't know that I'm ready to go back to it.

Here in CA, you can often get high school credit for a first year of modern languages in Jr. High, if you do it at high school pace. Maybe this is an option for German?

Yes, he's going to take German through OSU's online program, so that will be credit-worthy.

I agree with you about SL's LA, but I would consider Bravewriter (if I could afford it), as I think it also provides a good high school foundation while retaining some joy in the process

Exactly. It's hard not to be enthusiastic about writing when one is around Julie.:)

Freeze the blueberries on cookie sheets and bag for later? So jealous!! Down here they're on sale for $1.50 for 11 oz.

They aren't cheap up here, either! I'm amazed how much more they cost this year than last. We paid $1.70/pound to u-pick these! But they're organic (not certified) so that was a bit of a premium.

Thanks for your advice, Laurel!

Absolutely no advice or help but wanted you to know that I appreciate that you've shared this. I will say that I think Latin 5th-8th is a good idea although I haven't walked that path yet, in theory it sounds great. Yep, no help. Hugs Colleen.

Hugs help.:) Not that this is life or death, but it weighs on you, kwim? And I don't have any "real life" homeschooling friends to talk through this. All of them have either put their children in school or depend on all manner of outsourcing. I truly benefit from this board in that respect.

I would simply give the art pencils to the kiddos and let "em at it! My dd spends most of her days drawing and painting. She has had some art classes, but I think the stuff she does on her own is much better than some of the "art class" stuff.

Get Artistic Pursuits.

Will do!:)

If, in 8th grade, Jan does enough Latin to place in Latin II (say an online class or its equivalent level at home) in high school next year and continues on for that one more year, you can legitimately give him credit for Latin I as *high school credit* next year. That's a big bang for your [time] buck, transcript-wise, and then you have the entire year to decide if that's the direction you want to go. And either he has another year of Latin under his belt and he doesn't continue, or you have the door open for two years of high school credit if he does...I'm a big believer in keeping doors open even if one does not walk through them.

Hmmm, there's something to be said for that. I've always had in mind to at least stick with Latin through early high school ~ yes, earning credit was one reason why. I do like that advantage. But I seriously doubt any of my boys will have the desire to do so. On the other hand, studying a couple of modern languages in high school offers many equally good advantages, so that's nice.

No help anywhere else, but I will tell you that having Julie B. (and crew) take on a bit of lit instruction in 8th grade via the internet was a handy thing.

Yes, Bravewriter is a great resource. Thanks for your input, Pam!

Another vote for Artistic Pursuits. It's so straightforward and covers a lot of ground.

Which books have your boys used?

I agree with Pam on the Latin.

Do your guys study Latin on into high school? When do they begin a modern language (aside from English:tongue_smilie:)?

With my oldest, our main focus has been writing, rather than grammar. We work on any specific grammar issues as they arise.

That's the direction I'm leaning. I like that Analytical Grammar covers a lot of territory in a cumulatively short period time, but to an extent it seems like busy work. I kinda feel like that time could be better spent.

Thanks for your advice, Amy. Always good to hear from those who are ahead of me in the game.:)

I would simply give the art pencils to the kiddos and let "em at it! My dd spends most of her days drawing and painting. She has had some art classes, but I think the stuff she does on her own is much better than some of the "art class" stuff.

Most of my guys do quite a bit of drawing, too, but they were particularly into it when they took an art class. And they'd like to do some things besides just draw, but with a posse of five boys I'm not prone to take out painting materials and so on. So I'm hoping some structure a la Artistic Pursuits will provide motivation. I also like that it isn't merely doing art, it's learning about art.:)

I love Artistic Pursuits and just finished putting it on my planner for the year, but I'm not sure you could use it with such a broad age range. If you choose a lower level, and continue on with the series year after next, will you be able to give him high school credit? If not, will you want him to spend his time on non-credit pursuits?

What is the purpose of art in your curriculum? What are your end goals for studying that subject? And how important are those goals, compared to what you would do with that hour a week if you didn't do art?

I love Artistic Pursuits and just finished putting it on my planner for the year, but I'm not sure you could use it with such a broad age range.

I think using the Grade 4-6 book with boys in 3rd to 8th grade is reasonable. The sample units online certainly look do-able for those ages, and Barb of Harmony Fine Arts has mentioned several times that older students should be perfectly comfortable using books "lower" than their grade. The authors of AP themselves say the same.

If you choose a lower level, and continue on with the series year after next, will you be able to give him high school credit? If not, will you want him to spend his time on non-credit pursuits?

Do you mean would I be comfortable granting a high school student credit for using the AP junior high books? Yes, I would. But I'm actually not concerned about credit in this respect. I imagine my guys will garner plenty of credits elsewhere. During high school, though, I do plan to have them read Gombrich's Story of Art and I have a syllabus in mind for that.

What is the purpose of art in your curriculum? What are your end goals for studying that subject? And how important are those goals, compared to what you would do with that hour a week if you didn't do art?

Including art appreciation and history in our studies is important to me. The hands-on aspect is an added bonus that my guys enjoy, but I'm directing that more toward the mid- to upper-elementary range.

Thanks for the questions and reply!:)

Well, Colleen, don't know if this helps or not, but Artistic Pursuits is written to the student. You could get it, hand it to your son, tell him you want him to do a lesson a week but that he has to hide all evidence :).

Really, the main reason I keep pushing for the latin is because the modern language(s) we want to study in high school are romance languages so I have convinced myself the latin prepares us. Your son might do well to switch over to German now (isn't that what you're plamnning?). He's got someone who can speak it with him, right? I wuldn't wait another year to take advantage of that opportunity, to be honest! Why not let him get started on what he really wants to do now, if the latin isn't serving a strong purpose for you. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Robin

ETA: I just saw that the language your son wants to study is Spanish. Don't know where I got the idea you were planning to do German... Nevermind my comments! LOL

Oh, dear. Why am I so paralyzed at the thought of my oldest drawing ever closer to that Time We Feel Our Homeschooling Efforts are Make or Break, Otherwise Known as High School. I realize it's just one more year. I realize in the big picture, what he does or doesn't use for (fill in a subject here) isn't life-altering.

And I am rambling endlessly, avoiding dealing with Many Pounds of Blueberries and awaiting a swift kick in the pants or gently nudge or just something such that I can stop thinking about this, wrap up loose ends, and go on vacation without being so muddled.

I have neither kicks or nudges as my only child is 8 AND I'm using a boxed curriculum. However, I did want to say this side of you surprises me. I think of you as being decisive. At all times. :) How's that for a reasonable view of a cyber friend?

Okay, take this with a grain of salt, realizing that I am not a "artsy" type and can't draw a stick person.... I didn't realize that you were talking abou the 4-6 book. I don't even know if the jr. high is different, but I bought AP 4-6 for my dds and promptly sold it. It was way too open ended for me and I TRULY wanted to love it and have art taken care of.

Sorry for the dissenting opinion and remember I'm not an art person so ymmv

Which books have your boys used?

Do your guys study Latin on into high school? When do they begin a modern language (aside from English:tongue_smilie:)?

That's the direction I'm leaning. I like that Analytical Grammar covers a lot of territory in a cumulatively short period time, but to an extent it seems like busy work. I kinda feel like that time could be better spent.

Thanks for your advice, Amy. Always good to hear from those who are ahead of me in the game.:)

I'm not much ahead of you grade-wise, just volume-wise in terms of kids that age :lol:

With Artistic Pursuits, we used the first senior high book last year and will finish that up and start the second book in about a month. What I like, even though I love getting messy and doing projects, was that they could do it on their own. The instructions are clear, simple and very straight-forward. That way, when our day got out of kilter, like it always does lately, they could do the reading and the project and we could meet up the next day and discuss.

For Latin, I was kind of torn. The boys have been doing Latin since 3rd/4th grade:tongue_smilie:. They all like it enough that it's not been an issue. We finished up Henle last year. I've told them all they have to finish two credits of high school Latin in the next four years. (This is kind of insane of me since they all already know more Latin than the bulk of the priests in our church) But, I just want to legitamately knock out that language credit. My oldest opted to work through the part of Wheelock's I deemed necessary over the summer. He'll be done by Christmas. His twin brothers will finish up by the end of May.

Modern languages? We've delved a bit into Spanish and French and I have to say Latin is a great starter. I'm encouraging the boys to take Spanish at the local CC once they're old enough. I think they'll learn more with a teacher who can actually speak the language and Spanish is the language of choice if you live in Florida.

For grammar, I LOVE the Nancy Wilson book Mother Tongue. It's concise and the examples are great if your boys already have a good foundation. Another book I loved was Stephen King's "On Writing." Not conventional, but very sound (opinionated) advice. It's short - I read it in a few hours. My oldest son read it this summer and was surprisingly interested. I wouldn't recommend this book if you have a reluctant writer, but if you have a kid that already writes well, has a good grasp on grammar and likes to write, great book.

If it helps, the further I go into this high school journey, the easier it gets. Stressful, yes! But, if you've covered the basics, your kids will do fine - at least that's what I'm learning. Who knew? :auto:

They aren't cheap up here, either! I'm amazed how much more they cost this year than last. We paid $1.70/pound to u-pick these! But they're organic (not certified) so that was a bit of a premium.

Now I am jealous! U-pick orgainc blueberries are $2.50/pound here and we have to drive over an hour to get there. Sigh, with the price of gas this summer, there are no blueberries for us this year :tongue_smilie:.

Colleen, we are just starting out (only in our third year of hsing and only with two kiddos), so you can take anything I say with two or three rather large grains of salt, but here are my thoughts.

I agree with everyone else who lauded Artistic Pursuits. I am right there with you as not an artistic person, and I get rather nervous when messy art supplies come out (although I allow it to happen). I tried to use some open-ended books for K5, and it just never happened. I found Artistic Pursuits (from posts on this board) and ordered it for first, and we absolutely loved it. It was a great success here. I, too, love that it isn't just art projects, it's also art history and art appreciation. It's funny that you mentioned the hokey art on the front covers, because I found it very ironic, too, that such well-written art texts have such odd illustrations and cover artwork!

As for the Latin vs. foreign languages dilemma, I don't have a child anywhere near high school age, but I do have a bachelor's degree in Spanish with a minor in Linguistics. I vote for continuing Latin through the end of eighth grade. If he chooses to study Spanish or French in high school the strong base in Latin will give him an incredible head start. I didn't begin studying Spanish until ninth grade, because it wasn't offered any sooner in my school district, and I still picked it up well enough to make it my major in college and do very well with it. I think the fifth to eighth grade Latin idea is a great one.

I really can't be of any help with the grammar and language arts, but I wish you luck in choosing!

I found Artistic Pursuits (from posts on this board) and ordered it for first, and we absolutely loved it. It was a great success here.

Glad to hear this!

It's funny that you mentioned the hokey art on the front covers, because I found it very ironic, too, that such well-written art texts have such odd illustrations and cover artwork!

Yeah, what is up with that?!

I vote for continuing Latin through the end of eighth grade. If he chooses to study Spanish or French in high school the strong base in Latin will give him an incredible head start. I didn't begin studying Spanish until ninth grade, because it wasn't offered any sooner in my school district, and I still picked it up well enough to make it my major in college and do very well with it. I think the fifth to eighth grade Latin idea is a great one.

I just know my son really wants to start Spanish and I hate to make him hold off on that, kwim? We'll see. Thanks for reading and replying!

I have neither kicks or nudges as my only child is 8 AND I'm using a boxed curriculum. However, I did want to say this side of you surprises me. I think of you as being decisive. At all times. :) How's that for a reasonable view of a cyber friend?

I am generally a decisive person ~ especially when the decisions don't involve me.:D But now and then things arise that I research to death and think in circles and eventually just shut down, having made no progress at all. This is one of those times. Ack!

Really, the main reason I keep pushing for the latin is because the modern language(s) we want to study in high school are romance languages so I have convinced myself the latin prepares us. Your son might do well to switch over to German now (isn't that what you're plamnning?). He's got someone who can speak it with him, right? I wuldn't wait another year to take advantage of that opportunity, to be honest! Why not let him get started on what he really wants to do now, if the latin isn't serving a strong purpose for you. Just a thought.

ETA: I just saw that the language your son wants to study is Spanish. Don't know where I got the idea you were planning to do German... Nevermind my comments! LOL

German and Spanish are both on the table. He's more interested in learning Spanish since it's more practical, but he does want to be able to converse with people in CH and have that connection with his roots. I'm going to use OSU's online German. The Latin foundation he's had will help in learning Spanish, but Spanish really isn't a particularly difficult language anyway. I agree with you that having studied Latin first will help students when they move on to a romance language. But even a couple of years of Latin can be a good foundation, and most people who become proficient in a romance language haven't even had that much exposure to Latin. It's a leg up though, definitely.

I think it's fair to say that when it comes to educational pursuits and goals, I am rather LAME compared to most of you here.

With Artistic Pursuits, we used the first senior high book last year and will finish that up and start the second book in about a month.

Aha. The senior high books, eh? And here I am planning to have Jan join in on the Grade 4-6 book along with my next two. I don't think it's too young or slow or what-have-you, but I may very well be doing him a disservice by trying to simplify my own life.

For Latin, I was kind of torn. The boys have been doing Latin since 3rd/4th grade:tongue_smilie:. They all like it enough that it's not been an issue. We finished up Henle last year. I've told them all they have to finish two credits of high school Latin in the next four years. (This is kind of insane of me since they all already know more Latin than the bulk of the priests in our church) But, I just want to legitamately knock out that language credit. My oldest opted to work through the part of Wheelock's I deemed necessary over the summer. He'll be done by Christmas. His twin brothers will finish up by the end of May.

Wow. Gulp. Y'all take Latin way more seriously than we do. None of us are this dedicated to it and again, the fault lies squarely at my own feet. The more I read these boards the more I realize how satisfied I am with mediocre. Nothing to boast about, I realize.

For grammar, I LOVE the Nancy Wilson book Mother Tongue. It's concise and the examples are great if your boys already have a good foundation.

I picked up a used copy of this earlier this summer and it appeals to me, too. So concise and thorough. Have your older boys used it? Did they just read it, or write out answers or...? How'd you put it into practice?

Thanks for your help, Amy.

And here I am planning to have Jan join in on the Grade 4-6 book along with my next two. I don't think it's too young or slow or what-have-you, but I may very well be doing him a disservice by trying to simplify my own life.

Colleen, we (dh, ds, and I) all used the Artistic Pursuits Grade 4-6 book, and I thought it was fine (even for the adults!). I bought us all our own sketch pads, etc., and we'd pull them out after dinner and work through a lesson (or part of a lesson). It was relatively fun, and we all learned ... well, more than we would have if we didn't do it, or if I'd tried to cram it into our standard school day! Doing it that way probably wdn't be Hans' cuppa, but maybe your oldest could actually take the lead on doing the lessons? They're pretty straightforward.

It really was easier when they were 6, eh?!