Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 6/15 - 6/21

Negin

Ran 4 yesterday ....after driving 6 straight hours! I should have stretched! I was so antsy and it was such nice weather ( very rare these days) that I jumped out of the car, grabbed my trainers and iPod, and off I went. Hard run! Went out too fast, and shins are sore! Want to run again today, but should unpack and clean up kids mess first!

Faithe, I drove 7 hrs yesterday! It must have been the day for long drives.  But I opted for yoga instead of a run. :)  Today I ran 6 miles.  The weather was perfect.  I'm hoping for a whole summer of mid 50 mornings and no humity,  I know that it's unlikely, but I'm hoping. (I can remember 1 summer like that in the 12 years that we've lived here). 

Faithe, I drove 7 hrs yesterday! It must have been the day for long drives. But I opted for yoga instead of a run. :) Today I ran 6 miles. The weather was perfect. I'm hoping for a whole summer of mid 50 mornings and no humity, I know that it's unlikely, but I'm hoping. (I can remember 1 summer like that in the 12 years that we've lived here).

Oh, those long drives! Still all cramped up. 2nd time this week I made a drive like that. Have my trainers by the door....only got 16 miles in last week...need at least 25 this week to keep up on my 15 k training plan.

I have to find some time for longer runs and some strength training. Last week was a total bust....this is a new week! Time for me to get serious busy again!

Let me present myself as a cautionary tale: Remember on Saturday when I posted I felt like a train had hit me but was headed out for a martial arts work out anyway? 

Dumb.

I had developed a small charlie horse in both calves but kept working.  

Dumber.

After checking the clock and thinking to myself- time for one more Thai combo with my sensei before I have to hit the showers; I threw a foot jab and experienced blinding pain that took me to the ground.  That little charlie horse from overwork had shortened my calf muscle enough that when I kicked I tore my calf muscle.

So now I'm in a boot and on crutches.  Hopefully I will ditch the crutches by the end of the week but the ortho said depending on how it goes in physical therapy I could be in the boot upwards of 3 weeks.

MA testing is this Saturday.  I won't be there... On the up side I still can do upper body and core workouts and in a week swim or cycle if it doesn't hurt.

Let me present myself as a cautionary tale: Remember on Saturday when I posted I felt like a train had hit me but was headed out for a martial arts work out anyway?

Dumb.

Dumber.

After checking the clock and thinking to myself- time for one more Thai combo with my sensei before I have to hit the showers; I threw a foot jab and experienced blinding pain that took me to the ground. That little charlie horse from overwork had shortened my calf muscle enough that when I kicked I tore my calf muscle.

So now I'm in a boot and on crutches. Hopefully I will ditch the crutches by the end of the week but the ortho said depending on how it goes in physical therapy I could be in the boot upwards of 3 weeks.

MA testing is this Saturday. I won't be there... On the up side I still can do upper body and core workouts and in a week swim or cycle if it doesn't hurt.

So sorry this happened. Rest up and heal soon.

Yay Negin!    It's good to be back to the grind, right?

Love this beautiful piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21kz3rpCNJE#t=0

Thank you :). It is lovely to be back. 

Wow. I wish I could do a move like that. There are some yoga moves - Crane or whatever they're called - that I can never do. My wrists are just not strong enough. 

So now I'm in a boot and on crutches.  Hopefully I will ditch the crutches by the end of the week but the ortho said depending on how it goes in physical therapy I could be in the boot upwards of 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear this  :grouphug: . Hope you heal okay. Easy to say, but hard to do I know: try and be patient and just enjoy your time of recuperation. Probably not something you want to hear :confused1: . Get some good books or movies and be easy on yourself, if possible. 

Dumb.

Dumber.

After checking the clock and thinking to myself- time for one more Thai combo with my sensei before I have to hit the showers; I threw a foot jab and experienced blinding pain that took me to the ground. That little charlie horse from overwork had shortened my calf muscle enough that when I kicked I tore my calf muscle.

So now I'm in a boot and on crutches. Hopefully I will ditch the crutches by the end of the week but the ortho said depending on how it goes in physical therapy I could be in the boot upwards of 3 weeks.

MA testing is this Saturday. I won't be there... On the up side I still can do upper body and core workouts and in a week swim or cycle if it doesn't hurt.

😥. Heal quickly.

My goal today is not to cry during my WO.  Last time I had to do one of these elements I ended up bursting out in tears.    I'm pretty sure it was because heat and humidity just makes everything more awful than it is.   Today is already hot and humid so....

:scared:

I hope it went well!  What kind of WO is it?

Thanks for all the well wishes.  I had my first physical therapy- calf already feels better and I'm walking in just the boot now- crutches are gone:)  I did FB advanced lower ab workout with my boot on- whew.  Couldn't do all the moves but it felt good and didn't put any weight on my lower legs.

Rieshy, it's good to hear you're on the mend.   I'm sorry you're gonna miss the belt testing.     I can't imagine trying to continue a sequence with a charlie horse.  Mommy, you're a stud.

My WO is done and I didn't cry.  LOL.   Of course, I put the fan blowing right on my face/body but that doesn't diminish the WO, right?   

If you've looked at any of the vids I posted you could probably guess what my end goal is.   :D

Yesterday afternoon I was able to get in a 30 minute yoga practice.  This morning I ran 5 miles and came home and jumped in my pool!  It was the first time I was able to do that since I normally run while my kids are at swim practice and our pool was out of commission for a week because we got  a new liner. I then got in 3x5 clean and presses and 1 arm rows, followed by 10 heavy swings.  It feels good to get back to some strength work. 

I'm cautiously posting here. I'm feeling better again so I'm trying to slowly start exercising again. We had a 30 min walk last night while the kids rode their bikes. I was going to sprint but my body isn't ready yet, my endurance and strength are pretty low. Until I can consistently get sleep that is probably par for the course.

Today I did 3 rounds of kettlebell swings, one legged squats, hip thrusts and pull-up work (I'm using suspension straps- cannot remember now what its called). I'm aiming to do 3 rounds a few times a week and walking/biking a few times as well. I think I'm going to use the MuTu System, my abs definitely need to gain some strength. I'm trying not to think about what level I want to be and working where I'm at, it does me no good to push too hard and end up on my butt again.

I've never heard of the jumper knee bands.  I hope it helps.

Today was a 5 mile run.  I changed my normal route because it started to thunder, so after my park loop I headed home, but when I got to the bottom of my hill it still wasn't raining, so I ran up another hill before heading home.  It turned into quite a workout.  Because of the thunder my 3rd mile was a minute faster than my normal pace, then I added a half mile long hill.  I did a quick jump in my pool (I know I shouldn't have, but it felt so good!) then did some kettlebell.  Today was single leg deadlifts, push-ups, pull-ups, and swings.  

I started doing Mark Laham Yoga yesterday morning and then my computer crashed in a very bad way. Had to wait for most of the day until dh could fix it for me.
I'm very soon about to do it again - Mark Laham: Power Yoga - Core Strengthening.

On Thursday my sensei asked me if I wanted a challenge.  He said that sometimes for testing they like to throw a curveball to a student and handicap them in someway and then make them test with whatever handicap.  He asked me to try testing with my boot on- mostly from a chair, using a cane to simulate my kicks.  It means figuring out how to modify all the moves to do them from a position I'm not used to.

My kids want me to.  It's going to be a little embarrassing- but I've decided to do it.  I worked from a chair at home last night and realized I depend on my legs to tell my body where to go in all my Katas and Thai Combos so I had to rethink EVERYTHING.  I'm excited and nervous, and embarrassed but testing- here I come.

Perhaps now if I'm ever attacked in a sitting position I'll be prepared:)