Menu

WTM Academy--thinking about the writing course

Looks like you can check out the courses but most of the other links lead you to "go live" being in several hours - so something is up.

Expository Writing II uses WWS2. Link to teachers is still being worked on ....

I'm waiting for WTM to provide more answers to the FAQs before registering. I'm debating between remedial and Expository I, but given our schedule come August, I would like to know what the workload is like per week. Maybe it'll be very similar to WWS I for Expo I. didn't see anything about how work is corrected or what kind of feedback the student will get.

I am leaning towards expository writing 2 but just wonder what the work load will be....and whether I want ds to be a guinea pig. I wish they posted syllabi with pacing, but my guess is they will follow wws2 closely.

How does wws2 compare to wws1 in terms of output? I found WWS 1 needed to be spread out a bit sometimes....worried ds will not be able to keep up.

I didn't see anything about how work is corrected or what kind of feedback the student will get.

Ditto. I'm really tempted by the Intro to Rhetoric course but if personal feedback on the writing isn't included in the price, I don't think we'll take the plunge.

I would love to out source writing, but unfortunately, $500 for one course plus $60 registration is more than 1/2 our homeschool budget for all the kids!  Jeez!

It actually looks like a bargain compared to my local writing class options. I just got an email yesterday about some IEW classes. The lady is charging $90-$110 per month depending on the specific class. So for a 9-month year, that's $810-$990.

I would love to out source writing, but unfortunately, $500 for one course plus $60 registration is more than 1/2 our homeschool budget for all the kids!  Jeez!

I've been looking at Latin classes online, and based on that, $450 - $500 is quite standard for a year-long class.

I would love to see more info about the Intro to Expository Writing. I don't think my 10yo is quite ready for WWS, but I don't really want a repeat of WWE 3/4. I am wondering if this course would fill the gap between WWE and WWS. 

Based on the description, I think it may be a faster run-through of WWE, like (say) all the lessons from the WWE Instructor text.

Remedial work for struggling students who need additional help in basic writing skills before beginning the essentials of expository (middle grade) writing. ...Intended for students who still do not write easily and struggle even with shorter assignments.
(Emphasis mine.)

I'd love to sign both of my logic-stage kids up, but I'm not sure if the younger needs Intro to Expo or Expo I.  I'm hoping the placement help is offered before classes good for my time zone fill up.  I'm also curious if the lessons for Expo I & II will be taken directly from WWS I & II, just as if I were teaching it at home.  Has anyone else wondered about this?  Can anyone advise how it might differ from using the books alone?  I understand there are field experts teaching, but I would want to be sure individualized feedback is part of the course.  I'd also like to see syllabi with pacing, as some of those WWS weeks can be rough.

These are excellent questions. Personalized instructor feedback on all writing assignments is definitely part of the writing courses--that's why the class sizes for the writing (and math) courses are capped at 10 students per section.  Syllabi will be posted later in the summer, but in the meantime, you can direct questions about placement, class policies, etc., to Steve Otto, the dean of the school. Use the contact email on the WTM Academy page--info@wtmacademy.com.

These are excellent questions. Personalized instructor feedback on all writing assignments is definitely part of the writing courses--that's why the class sizes for the writing (and math) courses are capped at 10 students per section.  Syllabi will be posted later in the summer, but in the meantime, you can direct questions about placement, class policies, etc., to Steve Otto, the dean of the school. Use the contact email on the WTM Academy page--info@wtmacademy.com.

It would be fantastic if they offered evening , Saturday, and summer courses for those of us who afterschool or have schedule conflicts. :drool5:

I am definitely wrestling with the cost, and hope I can make a decision by the end of the month!

It isn't that I don't believe the material is "worth" it, but that SWB has taught me so well that I know I'm perfectly *capable* of teaching WWS1 myself.  I simply don't WANT to, lol.  And $928 (for two kids) is a lot to pay for my convenience... :nopity:

It would be fantastic if they offered evening , Saturday, and summer courses for those of us who afterschool or have schedule conflicts. :drool5:

Yes, I would like evening courses too, especially since we are in a different time zone.