Menu

Using travel for HS credit

We've just completed a wonderful 6 week Western US tour in our family RV, covering many National Parks, History Museums and adventure activities (hiking, caving, train rides, jeep tours, etc)  I need help in assigning high school credit to my 9th grader. She kept a simple journal listing dates and activities, but that's about it. No writing assignments or anything. Prior to leaving, she spent a few hours on several days researching where we were going, and what there was to see and do there, some were cities and some were National Parks. She took pictures with her digital camera. What could I call this "class" and how much credit could I assign to it? What would the course description look like? 

We did a few similar trips and ended up visiting 49/50 states overall as well as the eastern half of Canada.

At no time did I really consider any of it for credit nor would I in hindsight.

It does make a nice thing for them to put down for extra curriculars though (more extensive and in depth travel).

I honestly think it's better used there (stands out more).

I'm pretty liberal in terms of what I'm willing to count as "school work," but I would not give high school credit for that. I might fold some of the activity into a larger credit, like US History, or Geography, but IMHO what you describe is really a family vacation, not a high school class.

FWIW, my DS spent almost a month, in total, touring Greece and Turkey with Classical archaeologists (the Barrs,) including visiting dozens of major archaeological sites and world-class museums, listening to lectures, and reading books, and I did not give course credit for that. I will list it as an EC, and he can mention it in his application essay, but I'm not going to put it on the transcript as a "class."

In one year during high school, we did a 3-week trip down the East Coast, and a second, almost-3-week trip in the western/pacific northwest states. Lots of museums, national parks, historical sites, etc, but, similar to previous posters -- treated as lovely memories, not something for awarding credit. At most, I thought of the museums, etc., as field trips -- a type of very informal supplement.

Don't worry -- you'll have PLENTY of really solid, meaty things to count for credit accumulated by the end of high school! :)

ETA:

Yes, after reading other posters responses -- if your student read books, listened to lectures, and did writing assignments or projects or other output that showed synthesis of academic knowledge learned through the travel and the books/lectures (like Nan's and Corraleno's experiences) -- then yes, count it as a partial credit. But informal field trips through vacationing and sightseeing -- no, not a stand-alone credit at the high school level. BUT, a wonderful family experience! :)

We travel extensively, and I might count components of the travel as part of a subject credit, but I would not give credit for simply traveling.

For example, I our numerous visits to art museums and historic architectural landmarks constitute an important part of our art history studies. Visits to historic sites and museums may count towards the respective history credit. Extended stays in a foreign country contribute towards a credit in "XXX language and culture". My kids' PE credit is acquired from hiking, backpacking and rock climbing during our trips.

Travel as you describe makes a nice extracurricular activity, but does not warrant an academic credit. But travel can enhance subject studies and be a portion of a subject credit if it is educational and really pertinent.

We took a similar family trip. Mine read a us history book and lots of other books about specific us history periods or issues as we were driving, for part of each day. I counted the trip part as the project component of the class. It wasn't,t the most rigorous of classes, but I described what we did in the course descriptions and nobody gave us any trouble for it. Travel was definitely part pf my children,s education, but I didn,t count it by itself. I figured for academic credit, there needed to be an academic component. It was a fabulous trip and my children learned a ton.

Nan

I might find a way to fit it in.  For starters, Google

"course description" western united states

and

"course description" western united states tourism

I gave my dd a "Intercultural Missions" credit when she went on a 10 day foreign missions trip. I included the prep work she completed ahead of time. I found a comparable college course credit and used it as a jumping off point for my course description.

Some people here won't like it, but imo, it's like anything else, use what works for you.  It's part of the amazingness of homeschooling, you don't have to follow someone else's path.  My kid had test scores that backed up her transcript.  None of her college choices took exception with anything she submitted and in fact were quite receptive to her as a whole.

You could do World Geography this fall and count the trip as a "Practical Geography" section.

Or, Have her write a couple Descriptive Essays about the experience, try to recreate some of the local dishes you ate? Have her do some extra reading on the history of a few of the areas ( geographical and cultural info) write a final research paper.  That could cover 1 semester (not an additional semesters worth of work... maybe 6-8 weeks only), then follow up with Government or History for another semester and a full credit. 

In the end though I agree with "ThisIsTheDay", if it works for you and YOU consider it worthy of credit, then do it. 

As for naming it? How about "Survey of American Geography" or "Intensive Practical Geography: United States" 

Just remember that if you use it for credit, you aren't supposed to use it as an extra curricular.  College admin folks usually look more at extra curriculars for admission at selective places.  It won't matter a hoot at not-so-selective places or if not heading to college.  I still offer my thoughts that it will stand out more as an extra curricular... something that helps a homeschooler stand out (in a good way) from the majority of their ps peers.

We met with a admissions rep for a competitive university a few weeks ago and her advice was to make dd's transcript revolve around a purpose. According to her, those tend to stand out - just like any high school student from any type of school.  DD has lots of volunteering, leadership experience and is interested in theatre so that's what we're going to focus on.

I could see incorporating travel in there as well if that's a recurring activity.  As a side note, she also said that long-term volunteering and activities are seen more favorably than jumping around.  For instance, volunteering for the same organization for 4 years is preferable to doing the same number of hours with a number of different groups.  By high school they are looking for focus and commitment to something.

Very interesting! I am obsessed right now with reading everything on this board about credits. I remember getting college credit for a "theatre tour" in New York. we went to some performances, did some back stage tours, wrote a paper, and got an hour or two credit. That was a million years ago though.... ;)

. As a side note, she also said that long-term volunteering and activities are seen more favorably than jumping around. For instance, volunteering for the same organization for 4 years is preferable to doing the same number of hours with a number of different groups. By high school they are looking for focus and commitment to something.

I find this really sad. I think that the high school years should be for learning about and experiencing a lot of different things. Expecting a 14 year-old 9th grader to select a volunteer activity that they will be able to sustain for four years is unrealistic. If a student discovers a passion at that age and sticks with it, that's fantastic, but it's sad to think that those who are still looking for that passion could be looked down upon for exploring the world, especially through volunteer work.

I think this is just one more example of people expecting kids to act like adults. They should be encouraged to explore.

I find this really sad. I think that the high school years should be for learning about and experiencing a lot of different things. Expecting a 14 year-old 9th grader to select a volunteer activity that they will be able to sustain for four years is unrealistic. If a student discovers a passion at that age and sticks with it, that's fantastic, but it's sad to think that those who are still looking for that passion could be looked down upon for exploring the world, especially through volunteer work.

I think this is just one more example of people expecting kids to act like adults. They should be encouraged to explore.

I think it's meant as more of a general statement, rather than a "must have" four years doing the same thing. There's a difference between a student who is exploring and a student who jumps around just to rack up volunteer hours.  I can't tell you how many high schoolers would call the our library in May wanting to volunteer--but we'd never seen them in the library before, and many didn't even have cards.  Some successfully used their school library and truly were interested in ours.  Others though felt it was an easy way to get in those hours.

Like everything else on an application, volunteering is just one small part of the whole picture.  I would encourage my kids to do what they wish, without an eye toward the application, as long as they are doing something, at some point.

My dd had minimal community service and minimal extracurriculars.  It clearly did not have any impact on her college acceptances; her application overall was nicely balanced.  That may have been different though if she'd been applying to Ivy League schools.

I dealt with this same thought quite a bit this year.  Since she was in first grade, my dd has been involved with sports and was on the fast track to hopefully playing college volleyball.  Last year (in 8th) she played for a private middle school, then on a travel Club team as team captain that was coached by our state's flagship University's coaches and players. Then, even after coming back from a broken ankle in a tournament, she played for our local high school and attended two elite resident camps at our University, winning the top award for Middle Hitter.

She had no life, otherwise.  We spent obscene amounts of money on the club team and travel.  Then, the university's head coach bought dd's club team and made a disorganized disaster out of it.  She pretty much left dd with no choice but to not play this year as she headed into her freshman year of high school.  It was a bummer, to say the least.

Dd, however, decided this was her time to try new things.  She snow skied (something we had not been able to do much of in the past few years), took rock climbing, fencing, archery, and parkour classes.  She loved it and I have not heard her say the word "volleyball" in months.  I have to say that on one hand, I am bummed to not be able to write up that transcript with all of the incredible accomplishments she had attained in volleyball over her middle school years.  But, on the other hand, I am thrilled that she got to stretch her wings and try new things.  As you said, why should a 9th grader have to focus on one thing rather than exploring their likes and dislikes?  What happened to "finding your passion"?

At this point, I am not going to push her to focus on "one thing" just to make a transcript look good.  When she gets into the world and has to go to the same job day in and day out, she will have plenty of time for "purpose".  As a dyslexic, she has told me she has no desire to head to an Ivy League, anyway.  She has come home with a huge smile on her face every time she has tried something new and I can see her stretching herself, stepping out of her comfort zone, and learning a lot about herself.  Maybe the mismanagement of the Club team was a blessing in disguise.  

ThisIsTheDay is on the right track ... it wasn't a "must do" just a suggestion.  By high school they want to see something that speaks to consistency, dedication and focus - whether its sports or volunteering or fine arts - and then see other activities that show the student is well-rounded.

As far as volunteering, it doesn't need to be something that they do every month for 4 straight years, but it could be a cause they help with every summer.  VBS is a good example.  Our local Ronald McDonald House has an excellent program for teen volunteers every summer that lasts 1 week. It could even be helping with a sports camp or an animal rescue or being a poll worker.  If a teen was interested in politics they could help with different campaigns.  

"At this point, I am not going to push her to focus on "one thing" just to make a transcript look good."

I totally agree with this ... I don't think its advisable to get hyperfocused, but as time goes on she'll most likely start to narrow in on the things that interest her the most. And I don't even think it's a good thing to focus their activities for the sake of college applications or anything else.  I took it as more of a suggestion to package everything in a way that highlights depth and breadth when the time comes.