Menu

how much computer time do you allow your kids to have?

mom@shiloh

Apparently, I need some better guidelines and am having a hard time coming up with what those should be.

My kids do very little game playing on the computer, but one of my ds loves to tinker around on his computer.  He says he's learning, and I don't dispute that.  I do feel he is learning some valuable computer skills, however he would spend ALL DAY on it and his schoolwork suffered this past year because of all the time he spent on computer.  We need some parameters.  Due to his interest in all things techie, I am fine with him spending time on it, but how much?  Even good things need moderation.  

What says the Hive?  

I don't know about absolute limits, but I would say this ... if it's a school day, and his work isn't done, he isn't on the computer. Not unless he's on it for an online class or something else directly related to the schoolwork he is supposed to complete that day. And if I catch him on it before his schoolwork is completed, he's off it for the rest of the day, period. (And maybe if it happens twice in a week, he's off it for a week, but that may be a little too hardcore, even for me ...)

First things first, and hobbies are not allowed to interfere with school, even if the hobby is one that could become a career one day.

My kids get 30 minutes during the school year per day and 60 minutes during summer.  No computer time until school work is complete during school year, and minimal work done in summer (like a few chores, dressed, bed made, etc.)

ETA:  the time limits are for games - Minecraft for the youngest, Clash of Clans for the oldest. 

He's 16.  

I have found this to be very difficult to monitor.  He does use the computer for some of his schoolwork, especially any written work, so it's hard to tell if he's getting schoolwork done or using the time to learn how to do Linux.  He does have a part-time job and mostly he gets his chores done around the house quickly and without complaining.  He thinks that as long as he's getting everything done, he shouldn't be limited with computer time especially if he's using it for learning purposes and not for gaming. I think that spending most of your spare time at the computer doesn't make you a very well-rounded person.  

Hmm..16 is harder I think, since it's at that age where you want them to start taking some responsibility.

What about if you suggest to him that even adults have to set limits for themselves or the computer will overrun their lives.  (this is true!)  Suggest that he set a time for himself for that reason.  See what he comes up with.

My son is also 16. He spends most of his free time doing something on the computer - he does programming. I don't regulate time because:

• I'm trying to not be hypocritical. I spend a lot of time on the computer
  • he's not just gaming - he watches documentaries, programs, watches tutorials - he rarely games anymore
  • he comes when called (for school, for dinner, to help me with things) - I never get an "I can't right now." 
  • We don't have too many outside activities because of budget, so the computer is his entertainment and window to the world
  • he never watches TV - he hasn't watched anything in over a month or more. I know one screen for another, but he doesn't just zone out in front of a screen. 
  • when he's programming he can spend hours working on solving one issue - time limits would be futile in that situation
  • I don't feel the need to micromanage his free time. If he is getting things done otherwise, it's his time

My son is also 16. He spends most of his free time doing something on the computer - he does programming. I don't regulate time because:

• I'm trying to not be hypocritical. I spend a lot of time on the computer
  • he's not just gaming - he watches documentaries, programs, watches tutorials - he rarely games anymore
  • he comes when called (for school, for dinner, to help me with things) - I never get an "I can't right now." 
  • We don't have too many outside activities because of budget, so the computer is his entertainment and window to the world
  • he never watches TV - he hasn't watched anything in over a month or more. I know one screen for another, but he doesn't just zone out in front of a screen. 
  • when he's programming he can spend hours working on solving one issue - time limits would be futile in that situation
  • I don't feel the need to micromanage his free time. If he is getting things done otherwise, it's his time

Yep, I agree with this.  But, I also agree with the post below and can't decide what the balance is.

Hmm..16 is harder I think, since it's at that age where you want them to start taking some responsibility.

What about if you suggest to him that even adults have to set limits for themselves or the computer will overrun their lives.  (this is true!)  Suggest that he set a time for himself for that reason.  See what he comes up with.

Yep, I agree with this.  But, I also agree with the post below and can't decide what the balance is.

Part of my issue with time limits is it's hard to be consistent. I know for ds some days he'll be on the computer an hour, some weekends he's doing something all day. 

In lieu of the computer, what else can he do? Exercise, interact with siblings, job, chores,.... Instead of setting computer limits, I've considered setting time aside for other activities. Like one night could be family game night, no computers period. You have to walk the dog for 30 minutes a day. So instead of restricting something which could lead to resentment, you're showing them other things to do besides the computer. 

We allow an hour of learning time and an hour of free time on the computer.  Their free time can only be accessed when they have done an hour of exercise.  The learning time is part of their school day.  By learning time, I mean they have an hour each school day to choose what they want to learn and they often choose to learn something on the computer.  They also utilize screens for other subjects at times.  My kids are younger though - 12 and 10.  My 6 year old has more freedom because she has lots of non-computer interests and doesn't desire to be on there as much.

He's 16.

I have found this to be very difficult to monitor. He does use the computer for some of his schoolwork, especially any written work, so it's hard to tell if he's getting schoolwork done or using the time to learn how to do Linux. He does have a part-time job and mostly he gets his chores done around the house quickly and without complaining. He thinks that as long as he's getting everything done, he shouldn't be limited with computer time especially if he's using it for learning purposes and not for gaming. I think that spending most of your spare time at the computer doesn't make you a very well-rounded person.

But the key here is you said his schoolwork is suffering. That demands parameters.

I have 16yo techie and I do not limit his computer time. However, he has to maintain a certain grade point, do his chores, and get off the computer immediately and without complaint when I ask him to for meals, to do things with the family, and he has a tech curfew (10:30 on school nights, midnight on the weekends). Other than that, he has free reign.

As to whether he is well-rounded after spending so much time on computers? I think he is a very intelligent, mature young man. He has a part-time job, good friends, helps around the house. What more could I ask for? So he has one main hobby instead of five different ones... What's the big deal? I really only have one hobby, reading.

Besides, I think well-rounded is over-rated. I'd rather see him get really good at one thing than be mediocre at several things. It's all in how you look at it.

My ds knows he needs some regulating. Together, we've decided for this summer:
Twice a week - 3 hours/day for gaming, etc.

Other days are an hour of computer, then an extra hour of computer if he reads for an hour first