Menu

My two oldest sons (14 and 12) have just taken a two-day class offered by a local amateur radio club, and will take the licensing test later this week.  So far, so good--they've learned a fair bit about electronics, and met some nice, community service-oriented folks (several of the members of this particular club are also involved in Scouting, which is how we found out about it).  It's cheaper than I expected, too--the licensing fee is about $15, and you can get a low-end, handheld transceiver for somewhere in the $30-$40 range. 

Any other homeschooling hams out there?

I really should have my kids do this also! I have my license, though I really don't use it much anymore. I still have my equipment.

Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to see if there's a place where they can take the class and exam locally, since I did it years ago in California, and back when there was still a Morse Code requirement for General and Amateur Extra class licenses.

From what I remember it was not a difficult test. I read through the book once and went in for the Technician's test. I spoke mainly to family members (didn't have cell phone at that time) but they spoke with other hams around us. It can get addictive, and it's actually a great community. At the test center I was impressed that several kids were taking the test. I was single at that time and for some reason when I carried my radio, guys would come up to talk to me. And no, I didn't do it for that reason, LOL.

Oh ME!!! But I have not been active since I moved to CA. They changed the set up of the test since I did it in high school, but it's a fun hobby.

Just be sure to monitor their activity on air. People are pretty good about monitoring from what I remember (no cursing etc.), but same rules apply as on line, never reveal your real name, address and age to anyone you do not know irl. 

My dad had a HUGE rig and we used to talk to people in the Caribbean, on cruise ships ,etc. Back then after we "made contact" we used to send postcards to each other .(do they still do that LOL? or is it emails now??)

My two oldest sons (14 and 12) have just taken a two-day class offered by a local amateur radio club, and will take the licensing test later this week.  So far, so good--they've learned a fair bit about electronics, and met some nice, community service-oriented folks (several of the members of this particular club are also involved in Scouting, which is how we found out about it).  It's cheaper than I expected, too--the licensing fee is about $15, and you can get a low-end, handheld transceiver for somewhere in the $30-$40 range. 

Any other homeschooling hams out there?

Hey steph, I just saw you are in socal like me. would you mind PMing me where your sons took classes? Maybe ds10 would be interested...

Can someone explain the purpose of this? I vaguely remember my great grandfather talking on a ham radio in the living room when I was little but I never understood the purpose. Now that you mentioned it I'm curious. I actually didn't even realize that it was still a thing.

Just be sure to monitor their activity on air. People are pretty good about monitoring from what I remember (no cursing etc.), but same rules apply as on line, never reveal your real name, address and age to anyone you do not know irl. 

But you have to identify yourself with your call sign, which can then be used to look up your name and address. You can use a different mailing address, but the real name will still be there.

It has several purposes: teaching electronics/communications (antennas, radio technology), community/volunteer service (many work on relay races, triatholons), civil service (in case of disasters) and a hobby.

My dad built his own antenna (really tall, I forgot now maybe 25') and worked with others to build a relay station.

Of course keep in mind it has been a LONG time since I was active, but I kept my license valid.

But you have to identify yourself with your call sign, which can then be used to look up your name and address. You can use a different mailing address, but the real name will still be there.

Hmm.. I hadn't thought about that, then even more reason to monitor. Maybe have the radio in a family room or the like then. Things have changed since I did it (not the call sign thing, but the ease of looking up someone LOL).

I am inactive now (my HF transceiver has a problem and getting it fixed is not high on the priority list of the many things in the house we need to have fixed. after we replace the roof), but if I could, I would like to expose DD to amateur radio. One of the things that hams are usually good with is Geography. Also, it tends to stimulate interest in physics and math. Along with the many different facets of the hobby and the people one can "meet" on the air.

My dad was/is a ham. He was active for many years. My mom swears she is going to put his call sign on his gravestone. We had the tower in the yard - which was the main issue the few times we moved. He had a huge set up in his basement and would talk to people all over the world, had the postcards, the mobile radio, the magazines, the equipment.

I have been to many ham fests as a child - like a swap meet for hams.  

Being a ham was like being on the Internet before there was Internet. Hams also used to be quite active in disaster communications - not sure if they still are with today's technology. My dad was a broadcast engineer by career, but being a ham was part of his defining character for a long time. 

Another thing that was nice is that when we were on vacation, he could get on the air and ask about restaurants or camping sites. It was like Siri with a real person. 

Being a ham was like being on the Internet before there was Internet. Hams also used to be quite active in disaster communications - not sure if they still are with today's technology.

My city is always looking for hams to join our citizen emergency response team. If they go through a background check and fingerprinting, they are supposed to report to the police station for replaying info during an emergency. (Around here, most likely an earthquake.)

We had the local University club come and do a demo at our 4-H Computers & Technology club and they offered to teach out kids all they would need to learn to get their licenses (they can administer the test too) so we will do that early next year.

I did this with my children.  It was youngest's first ever standardized test!  I used it to teach textbook skills and study skills as well as science and technology.  I think it helped to have it listed on their college applications as well (going into tech fields).  And it was handy to be able to talk to each other.  We all got handitalkies.  They never did much beyond talk to each other and the occasional person outside, but recently my parents have gotten older and I've started worrying about them during storms.  My father and I have rigs now that will hit the nearest repeater so I can check on him.  The repeater doesn't go out in a storm.  One of my self-education goals is to go through the electronics book and start doing more ham radio stuff.  Being somewhat shy, I'm pretty intimidated by the talking to people part, but I thought perhaps if I just lurked for awhile, the way I did here, maybe that would wear off.

It is great to see so many people doing this!  Our local club says they have more people interested than ever.  What a fun thread!

Nan

• 4 weeks later...

I've had this idea on the back burner for a while now.  In the movies, ham equipment seems to be very large and occupy a large desk or table.  Is this still true?  Will I need to sacrifice half my dining table?  

What is the first step for a beginner to get certified?  

My kids bought hand-held transceivers for $28 each (a group buy on Amazon).  Their instructor suggested supplementing these with better antennas, which would bring the total cost to about $40 but not take up much more room.   They did a class and the certification exam through a local club, so I don't have a website to direct you to, but a quick search should get you to resources including practice tests.  

inactive in Canada... 

Got my license while I was in college. Like many others, I've switched to the Internet.

Local hams are still active in case of emergencies. A few years ago, we had a big ice storm, and some regions were without electricity for over a month. Hams worked with police and army to provide communications.