Menu

If we're completely loving Peter Pan...

...what other read-alouds would you suggest for my 5-year-old son? My 9-year-old daughter listens in, but she has her own chapter book read-aloud, so I don't mind choosing books for him that are less appealing to her.

Colin has good comprehension and a strong attention span. He enjoys action and humor. We've recently read the Judy Blume Fudge books and How to Eat Fried Worms, and he enjoyed Edward Eager (Half Magic, etc.) but Peter Pan is feeling especially magical. Both kids are just utterly spellbound.

Is Peter and the Starcatchers comparable in level? What else? I am woefully ignorant of "boy books."

So glad you posted this.   We are finishing up The Secret Garden and I have been debating which read aloud will be next- Peter Pan was one of the few on my short list.   I'm off to add it to my Amazon list.  

For you- how about the Sterling Illustrated Classics version of Treasure Island?  or their version of The Jungle Book?  

Are you reading an abridged version or unabridged? I'm asking because the full version has some dry humor that could be tricky for a 5 yr old, IMO.

Some suggestions

Wind in the Willows

Reluctant Dragon

Alice in Wonderland

Wizard of Oz

Pippi Longstocking

Pinocchio

A lot of these come in many different versions, so you can choose what is best for your level, time constraints, etc.

ETA anything by E.S. Nesbit

Guest UrbanHomeschooler

We loved Peter Pan too. My 6yo son is currently spellbound by the Redwall series - and there are over 20 of them! My husband has been reading them aloud though so I can't comment on the adult interest factor.

. . . Then I'll suggest (at least for teens & up) the new vlog series "New Adventures of Peter and Wendy" on youtube.  A new 5 minute episode is uploaded each Wednesday and Friday.

I've only seen the Trailer:

Agreeing with the Redwall and E Nesbit recommendations as a followup, too!

My kids all love Peter Pan. My suggestions for similar stories/styles:

Pinocchio

Redwall

We LOVE the Peter and the Starcatchers series. The style is a little bit different, but it still has the dry English-type humor. We have the audiobooks with Jim Dale reading and they are spectacular.

We're loving:

Magic Treehouse (this is probably obvious!)

My Father's Dragon

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Chocolate Touch

Paddington

All Flat Stanley books...

Within the next couple of years we'll read the Narnia books...If your kids like Peter Pan they might be ready!

The Peter and the Starcatchers series was our favorite series ever.  I think.

We listened to the audiobook- read by the fabulous Jim Dale.  My son (6) has listened to them over and over since.  They are really fun.  They are much scarier than the original, though.  There are some very dark characters, so you might want to preview it first.

My Father's Dragon is great.  We also love all of the Roald Dahl books.  Some of those can be quite dark as well, but they are also pretty funny.

Love the ideas listed so far!!  I tend to defer to chapter books for the language development.  My ds, who definitely enjoys Peter Pan that I'm reading him right now has also been enjoying The Chronicles of Narnia, Charlotte's Web, Swiss Family Robinson, and the Three Musketeers.  The last one I'm not sure is normal to 5 yos, hehe.  He's just really into it for the weapons.  I LOVE the idea of Pinnochio, so I think I'll load that one up next!