Menu

I'm a WtW failure - what do people think of Excellence in Literature for 9th grade English?

Okay, I'm a math person.  But because of all the wonderful reviews of Windows to the World and my previous good experience with the dvd IEW courses (SWI and SICC), I decided to give it a go.  Epic failure!  The syllabus, student book and teacher book are hard to all keep straight and he and I end up getting frustrated.  I don't see the added value of me reading the teacher text and then trying to remember what it said to "teach" it to him.

So...as I see it - here are my two options:

* Suffer through Windows to the World (we are following the IEW syllabus and have already finished SICC B the abbreviated approach, Teaching the classics, plus the Worldview supplement and are through lesson 6 in WtW.)  My son is a really strong independent learner, so I can have him read the teacher's guide for WtW and Student guide and complete the assignments.

*Or, I can jump ship and do Excellence in Literature I (Intro to Lit) instead of finishing WtW.   I like that it is self-directed.  He'll have to work through it over the summer as he'll need to do English II for his Sophomore year.

So frustrated! 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Blessings,

Angela

No advice, but just an idea:

We did not do the IEW syllabus. We did not do Teaching the Classics. We did not use the Teacher Book for WttW. We only used the student book, and did it together. We did it in about 3 different chunks, over 2 years time, interspersed with other literature. We got a lot out of it, as we stayed very focused on the single task at a time (i.e., just the student book chapter).

Being a math person, you may also find this final idea helpful: we did it together, so we all learned together and could discuss together. So, for example, when it came to annotating the short story, I made 3 copies and we each made annotations. (see post #5 in this past thread on using WttW for ideas on how to get started with annotating: "Why does my DD have lots to say…")

While it's lovely to have self-directed programs, and many subjects can be independent, gently and realistically, most of the time Literature is not something that can be done successfully mostly solo by the student. Especially when the student is just starting to learn about literary analysis, and how to read deeply, think / analyze, discuss, and write about the Literature. JMO: but, I think it really does require in-person discussion and guidance.

If life circumstances are such that you don't really have the time, ability, or interest to do that yourself, what about outsourcing the English credit (Literature and Writing)? Sounds like DS has good self-disicpline in independent learning, so working for an outside instructor, esp. an online class may be a very viable option. You may also have some great local options to help -- a co-op class, participation in a single high school class, a local tutor, etc.

There are good online classes on Literature/literary analysis, such as:

- Brave Writer (Shakespeare; Literary Analysis; Discussion Club)

- The Potter's School (Lit. Survey; American Lit; British Lit.; Western Lit.; Fantasy Lit.; Sci-Fi Lit.)

- Landry Academy (Intro to Lit. Analysis; Ancient Lit; Medieval Lit; Modern Lit.; CS Lewis; Tolkien)

- Veritas Scholars Academy (Lit. Club; Lit Transition; Lit. 1; Lit. 2; Lit. 3)

- Captive Thought tutorials (Intro to Lit; American Lit., British Lit; Jane Austen; CS Lewis)

And, as is the case with any subject and curricula, if you're both really hating WttW and you both really like the samples of EiL and it looks like a better teaching style and learning style fit for both of you, then go for what works for YOUR family! :) Best of luck, whatever you decide. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I don't have experience with either, but, fwiw, I would not make a decision that resulted in starting over and working through the summer.  It sounds like you've already completed a lot of your original plan.  Why not cherry pick from what remains in WTTW and finish it up as quickly and simply as you can.  Then switch to EIL for English 2 next year.

Following because I am a math person and have never done WttW. I was considering it for later use with ds. I LOVED Teaching the Classics, though. It really helped me understand literary analysis and  turned literature more into a problem to be solved. I've lead a book club for 3 years after going through it. Dd had the advantage of attending a literature and writing course taught by a great, retired English teacher. Ds will not have that available. 

Are you using the Jill Pike syllabus?  I know at times it seems like a lot to keep together.  Do you read it ahead of the time (the day before a lesson)?  I went through WttW with my older son, and my daughter and I have just started it (we are on week 4).  I find that it i easier for me to teach if I ook at it ahead of time.  I really do think it is one of the best programs out there for teaching an intrduction to literary analysis, but it needs to work for you in order to get the most out of it :001_smile: . 

I have been reading the lessons ahead of time, but then I get so overwhelmed with what's what and where everything is that it all falls apart when I try to work with him.

I wish I could think of some way to make it easier for you.  If you are using the Jill Pike syllabus, you could do away with that component.  That might make it a little better. 

*Or, I can jump ship and do Excellence in Literature I (Intro to Lit) instead of finishing WtW.   I like that it is self-directed.  He'll have to work through it over the summer as he'll need to do English II for his Sophomore year.

I can't comment on what you have been using or how to fix it but it seems you've already gotten some good advice there. We have used EIL with great success for both my kids in 9th grade. We all enjoyed the books in Intro to Lit. The program is easy to follow and my kids did it in a semester (2 hours/day). Doing it over the summer would be a challenge. It would depend on how many hours a day he can spend and his reading speed.