Menu

4H Culinary Club Topics?

SquirrellyMama

If you were leading a 4H Culinary Club for kid 4th-8th grade, what kind of topics would you include?

So far I have:

Meal Planning

Pizza Making

Smoothies

Food Processor - Make fresh salsa, guacamole, dips, pesto

Knife skills

Measuring/Doubling batches- making cookies, muffins, etc...

How to dehydrate food

How to make pickles (we always get tons of cucumbers in the garden)

What other topics would interest this age group and be useful.

Kelly

I would take about herbs, and drying herbs, as well as dehydrating foods.

Being the science geek, I'd also talk about kitchen chemistry - what makes that delicious scent of baking bread...ozone...how is that produced, etc.

Unusual ways to get vegetables in your diet - eggplant parmesan, pureed veggies in soups for those that have texture issues, that type of thing.

I'd also be inclined to do lessons on sustainable agriculture, eating local when possible, and make some field trips to farmer's markets in season. It would be fun to cook an entire meal out of what they could purchase from a really good farmer's market...artisan cheeses, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, fresh carrots, salad greens, strawberries or blueberries, etc. It's a great life skill to have, and if any of the club members are naturally inclined towards gardening it will help them be creative using that over abundance of produce X when the plants decide to put out a bumper crop!

Beyond that, canning, and freezing lessons would be great. It can be hard to do canning safely with younger students or a large group due to the boiling water issue. But, you could break those lessons out for only students say 13 and older, and have a kitchen day just for them.

A fundraiser for the club might be a little cookbook they create from recipes they come up with or have been handed down in their families with tips on how to make them more healthy -
(replace the Crisco in this batch of cookies with real butter or with coconut oil or whatever, make your spaghetti yummy vegetarian without losing protein here's how and that type of thing) and include little stories and humorous tales of the club's adventures in the kitchen, supermarket, farmer's markets, and gardens. I think there would be many people in the community that would love to buy something like that for $5.00, and if the club members do all of the processing and graphic arts, they'll have a really nice club project to turn in at the county fair.

You could then expand into catering - how to plan, shop, and cook for 20 or more people. If you don't do that yourself, you might find a caterer that would be willing to come and do a demonstration/lecture. Even better, help the club cook for say all of the 4-H leaders in the county. It could be a light meal, just something for the kids to do to demonstrate their skills.

The culinary arts is, in my not so humble opinion, and exciting subject for 4-H clubs because the life skills gained are so valuable.

How about cheese making? Or use the homemade yogurt (previous suggestion) to make a yogurt cheese?

I would also explore some ethnic dishes, particularly ones using veg and beans, healthy and economical.  Maybe hummus, minestrone, vegetable pakoras?

Also, how about strawberry picking followed by jam making?

Jane, isn't there an easy way to make cottage cheese? I was thinking that this was one of those that could be done in jiffy? Hmmm....must go look that up...it's another excuse to finish my own packing for the trip because I think I'm packed out, LOL!

Ricotta is supposed to be easy.  Something that I have been meaning to do. :leaving:

cutting and cooking a whole chicken

eggs different ways

salad dressings

simple sauces (tomato/marinara, roux/cheese sauce) with pasta

pan sauces (gravy, etc.)

stir fry

custard/pudding/ice cream

beans and rice (separately or together)

Books which may be helpful for you while planning (check your local library): 

Essentials of Cooking by James Peterson (all 1-page explanations and photos of cooking techniques, more basic than his massive Cooking which does over 600 techniques)

Jacques Pepin New Complete Techniques (similar to Peterson's massive Cooking with tons of techniques and photos but all broken down to a page or two)

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (memoir, Flinn takes on food ignorance by inviting strangers to join a short cooking bootcamp...less professional than the 2 above but helpful in terms of thinking about the basics that people want or need to survive more than every technique available)