Menu

how do we pack for a family of 5 traveling out west for 2+ weeks?

Ottakee

We will be gone 16-17 days going from Michigan to South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.   I know that weather can be unpredictable and could be hot or cold or rainy.  We few hotels/friends will have laundry we can use.

Already I am counting up the hoodies, rain coats and possibly a warm jacket (unless we can layer enough) and then sandals, hiking boots, tennis shoes for all and then riding boots and helmets for both dd's and I.  That is a lot right there.

I was thinking 2 jeans, 2 shorts, and 2 capris along with some t-shirts, hoodies, etc. so that we can layer.  Then swimsuits and PJs too.

I want to pack as lightly as possible but still have what we need.

Any hints for us traveling to those areas in early June?  We will hit Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.  I plan on us doing some hiking but they will be only 1-3 miles hikes on the easier trails so nothing extreme....but people suggested hiking shoes over tennis shoes anyway.

Then we will have a cooler with some food/drinks and dh's insulin and we will need at least 1 sleeping bag/pillow/mat combo as some of the places we are staying OKed 5 people but only have beds for 4 (one friend and 1 cabin)

I need this all to fit neatly in the mini van and be easily accessible.  I was thinking a Rubbermaid tote for the boots/shoes/jackets/helmets, etc. and then each person a carry on size suitcase.

We also have to figure out safely how to carry (and not have stolen) a lot of meds.  Dh has 2 forms of insulin taken 3-4 times a day plus testing stuff and 5 other prescription meds.  One dd has 10+ different prescriptions a day she takes and the other 10+  plus inhalers and her asthma emergency meds.  Ds just has an inhaler prn and mom needs nothing other than taking along some basic OTC stuff and a first aid kit.

I am sure this will be a great trip of a lifetime for the kids but it is a lot of work for mom.  I also have to get stuff ready at home for a friend to care for the bearded dragon, gecko, cat, dog, 8 chickens and 3 horses for the entire time.

We will be gone 16-17 days going from Michigan to South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.   I know that weather can be unpredictable and could be hot or cold or rainy.  We few hotels/friends will have laundry we can use.

Already I am counting up the hoodies, rain coats and possibly a warm jacket (unless we can layer enough) and then sandals, hiking boots, tennis shoes for all and then riding boots and helmets for both dd's and I.  That is a lot right there.

I was thinking 2 jeans, 2 shorts, and 2 capris along with some t-shirts, hoodies, etc. so that we can layer.  Then swimsuits and PJs too.

I want to pack as lightly as possible but still have what we need.

Any hints for us traveling to those areas in early June?  We will hit Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.  I plan on us doing some hiking but they will be only 1-3 miles hikes on the easier trails so nothing extreme....but people suggested hiking shoes over tennis shoes anyway.

Then we will have a cooler with some food/drinks and dh's insulin and we will need at least 1 sleeping bag/pillow/mat combo as some of the places we are staying OKed 5 people but only have beds for 4 (one friend and 1 cabin)

I need this all to fit neatly in the mini van and be easily accessible.  I was thinking a Rubbermaid tote for the boots/shoes/jackets/helmets, etc. and then each person a carry on size suitcase.

We also have to figure out safely how to carry (and not have stolen) a lot of meds.  Dh has 2 forms of insulin taken 3-4 times a day plus testing stuff and 5 other prescription meds.  One dd has 10+ different prescriptions a day she takes and the other 10+  plus inhalers and her asthma emergency meds.  Ds just has an inhaler prn and mom needs nothing other than taking along some basic OTC stuff and a first aid kit.

I am sure this will be a great trip of a lifetime for the kids but it is a lot of work for mom.  I also have to get stuff ready at home for a friend to care for the bearded dragon, gecko, cat, dog, 8 chickens and 3 horses for the entire time.

We did 5 weeks last Apr/May in most of West, including the locations in which you'll be traveling.  We brought hiking pants that zip in the middle so that they can be shorts or pants.  They also dry quick.  Tees, good long sleeve wicking shirts, fleece pullover and a Gortex or similar waterproof rain shell, hiking boots and smart wool socks.  We were surprised by warm weather in Yellowstone.  We wore shorts on Mother's Day wknd.  We brought one "nice" outfit (capris, sweater, flats for girls; khakis and a button down shirt for boys) as well as jeans and sneakers, bathing suits and pjs.  Packing wasn't easy and we never really got a system going for not bringing our enormous suitcases into each hotel/cabin we stayed at.  We TRIED to just take in what we would need for the following day, but it didn't always work, and the weather sometimes didn't cooperate so we were always unloading and reloading (correction, my dh was always loading and unloading) the car.

A few years ago we travelled through Yellowstone around the 1st of June.  We saw snow coming into the park and 3 days later it was snowing like crazy.  We had to change our route going back east because of road closures.  We had some nice days but they were all cool enough that we wanted jeans and sweatshirts or jackets.

Echoing the zips-off, quick dry, moisture wicking stuff. Wool socks. We also have found super light moisture wicking long underwear at the military surplus store.

This stuff packs super light and compactly. Not suggesting you run out and buy a whole new wardrobe, but if you were gonna go shopping anyway...

I will watch the weather closely before we go and adjust as needed.  We will be in Yellowstone mid June and I know that might be cool yet.  I know that THIS momma would be very happy if we were in sweatshirts the entire trip as I don't like hot weather.  Then again here in Michigan anything above 40 is hoodie weather and 55 means shorts lately..........not that we have seen spring yet.

I am also not opposed to wearing the same clothes (esp. pants) several days in a row if they aren't really dirty.

Bottoms: I'd skip capri's and go with 2 pants, 2 shorts: one of them being *worn* at any given time.

Tops: 3 short sleeve t's, 2 warmer long sleeved t's or sweatshirts

Take enough socks and underthings for the distsnce between laundry facilities, plus PJ's.

Bundle ^that^ by person into small, squash-able bags (like a drawstring gym bag or something). Make each person responsible: these make great car pillows, lap desks, seat boosters. They should be really small flexible and easy to manage.

---

Then pack "by event" for the whole family:

- "Girls" hygiene and "boys" hygiene kits might be useful for public washrooms. Otherwise, one bathroom bag for everyone, but not showering things, just sink things.

- The "getting chilly" bag/bin (1 hooded fleece per person and/or 1 windbreaker per person, or combination: plus the sun hats if they are not in use)

- The "raining now" bag/bin (rain coat each, probably not rubber boots, possibly an umbrella or 2)

- The "swimming today" bag/bin (swimsuits, towel, flip flops if you really think you will need them -- maybe not).

- The "showering today" bag(s). Depending on your plan, you may all shower daily, and towels may not be needed (you may not even need shampoo) so you can toss this stuff in with the basic bathroom kit. On the other hand, you might need a boys/girls split of a full set of shower supplies to be used at public pools or whatever.

- The "footwear" bag/bin -- I wouldn't take both hiking boots and tennis shoes unless you are actually doing real hiking or real athletics. Probably sandals are small and light if you need an alternative.

- The "riding today" bag/bin -- you know.

- The "we might as well be camping" bag/bin -- bug spray, backpacks, family games, etc.

A tool or tackle box might be just the thing for your meds, and possibly electronics. On the other hand, my mini van has a few bins and crannies that might be useful for theft deterrence.

Give each child something that will contain and limit their personal belongings, like books and electronics, in the van.

We will be in Montana first week of June also, as we were last year, including a swing through Yellowstone.  Look closely at the forecast to try to judge whether to lean more toward shorts or more toward long pants.  Either way, I'd plan a couple pairs of shorts, a couple pairs of long pants, long and short sleeve t-shirts, and a fleece (polyester fleece) jacket if possible.  Typically, it can be chilly in the morning and evening but high altitude sun can warm things up quickly in the middle of the day.  It's harder to judge by just the weather website temperature.  We do a lot of shorts-with-fleece combinations; last year, I doubt the kids wore long pants at all, but then we typically weren't going out for dinner late, so it was still warm.

Try to plan ahead about when you'll be able to do laundry - more often means less clothes to pack.

For the kids I make them pack outfits into large plastic bags. It makes it easy to grab a bag for each child when just staying overnight. I also pack all night things together if there are going to be frequent hotel jumps. It doesn't make sense to take in three suitcases so everybody has their toothbrush. I carry all toiletries, chargers, electronics, jammies, in that one bag. If the weather is cool enough and it ought to be you can just leave your cooler in the car overnight.

I would ditch the boots in favor of running shoes.  We hiked all over Yellowstone and RMNP in running shoes and never even had a blister.  Up mountains, into the back country, we were still fine.  I would, however, include flip-flops for everyone in case your primary shoes get wet or you just want something to run around the hotel/cabin grounds/whatever.  Sounds like you have that covered, but if you are short on space, the boots would be my first sacrifice.

Don't forget sunglasses, sunscreen and laundry detergent.  I pack single-load measures of detergent into sandwich-sized Ziploc bags and then put the small bags into a larger gallon-sized bag.  Oh, and a basket or bag of some sort for laundry if you're doing it at a laundry room as opposed to inside your cabin.  I've had to stuff pillowcases full of laundry before and lug them down the hallway of our hotel.  So classy.

You're going to have an awesome trip!  We did Yellowstone/GTs two years ago, and it remains our very favorite vacation.  Don't forget binoculars!  If you're into wildlife viewing, you'll want them so you can see a grizzly bear mama and her cubs  almost over the crest of the hill while everyone else is watching bison in the road.  

Thanks for all of the ideas.  I need to double check which hotels have laundry facilities, etc.  My 3 kids are fine wearing the same clothes until mom says they STINK but I know that with being outside so much we might get wet, muddy, dirty, etc.

Binoculars weren't on my list but I can see about finding some to take.  I also need to remember my handheld GPS and extra batteries/battery charger.....and then the phone chargers and camera charger, etc. and on and on.

Find a packing list someplace on line, preferrably one that you can adapt to your needs and start writing on it now.  About a week before vacation I start setting clean clothes aside that I want to pack hopefully then avoiding doing last minute laundry when I am trying to pack.  Have an awesome time!