Menu

Hearing a high-pitched ring in the room

mom31257

I don't know if it's normal, but it's not abnormal, if that makes sense.  My hearing is terrible- I had tons of ear infections too- but I can hear all kinds of weird noises that dh doesn't.  My printer makes a weird, high-pitched chirping noise if I turn my head just right.  My fridge makes a high pitched whine sometimes that drives me nuts.

1.  Ask the kids if they hear it.   If they hear it too then it is the modem and don't worry about your hearing.   Generally the rule of thumb for ringing in the ears for when you need to be concerned is if it is only in one ear.   If you are hearing this sound the kids are hearing also, that means your hearing in the very high frequencies is very good which is a great sign!    Generally we lose hearing in the high frequencies first.

2.  I have to tell this story.  I was an audiologist in my prior life.  My patients would sometimes call me with questions/concerns about their hearing aids.  I vividly remember one call from a lady whose complaint was that her hearing aid kept beeping and her husband could hear it also.   Some hearing aids do beep if the battery is low but only the patient can hear it.  Of course, she could be describing the 'feedback' that I'm sure most of you have heard at some point in time.  In continuing to troubleshoot over the phone I finally told her to take her hearing aid out of her ear and remove the battery so that i knew for certain that it was turned off.  With more and more questioning of both the patient AND her husband, I was finally able to let them know from my office that their fire alarm was alerting them that they needed to replace the battery :)  

Is it definitely from the modem and router, or are you just assuming it is because they're in that room? I ask because when we had a high pitched ringing noise it was from the air conditioner unit (which wasn't actually in use). Because it was in the ceiling it sounded like it was everywhere in the room. It took me a lot of online sleuthing to find out what it was! Once we switched off the airconditioner at the main power board, the noise stopped. We needed to repair the fan which switches the ducted airconditioner from one zone to another.

Okay, I'm back to this thread now. 

My dd can hear the sound, so maybe it doesn't mean my hearing is messed up! 

I know that I have ringing from time to time, though, that is just my hearing. It usually isn't long or badly annoying. I've had it as long as I can remember and assumed it was damage from the infections. 

I had no ear infections as a child, and I hear electronic noise. I mostly ignore it, but sometimes it's really annoying. I think I have some minor ringing in my ears too, but it's hard to tell when I hear everything electronic. I don't remember ever NOT hearing these noises (I remember hearing them from at least 3 years of age or so, which is about how far back my clear episodic memories go).