Menu

Ordering Indian Food?

tandori chicken

naan or garlic naan, onion kulcha (breads)

also - need to use the condiments - I like the onion with green stuff, and the tamarind sauce....

I worked for an Indian Restaurant in Tallahassee my senior year at FSU. We're going back this weekend. I think I will hit the buffet for lunch!

Oh yeah - raita is good on everything, for dipping bread or cooling the main meal.

Our favorite vegetarian Indian meal is mattar (sometimes spelled mutter) paneer-- peas in a curry-like sauce with really juicy cubes of fresh Indian cheese. Yummy.

We also love the poofy "puri" or "poori" bread. When the batter is deep-fried, it produces a lovely hollow ball of delicious bread, but you'd have to order it in a restaurant, I think.

Trader Joes, in Alabama?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!:D

(Sorry, my momentary Yankee-ness snobbery coming out!)

Good suggestion, though - everyone's been so helpful. Umm. . . and I've never had Indian food. (How could I go to school in Amherst, Mass. and not eat Indian food!?!?!?) And we just studied India and Gandhi last week! I really missed the boat!!!!

the chicken tikka masala AND/or the chicken korma (preferably AND). I have also had kofta curry which is really good as well as lamb korma which is also good.

I would now have to get the saag paneer and LOTS of garlic naan! I could sneak the meats in if I really wanted to, but I have enjoyed the saag paneer, and I just LOVE the indian rice. It's so plain, but SO good!

The dipping sauces are great too. There are several that are really good. There are also a few appetizer-type things that are really good (street food is what it's called on our menu here). There are some little puff pastries with this delicious sauce in them - gosh I love those.

Anyway, I'm totally drooling now. I want some Indian food!

Decided to go ahead and post the recipe. This is sooo good! My 9yo requested this as his birthday dinner...he requested it extra hot!

Chicken Tikka Masala

Ingredients:

Marinade:

1 cup yogurt

1 Tb lemon juice

2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 Tb minced ginger

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts,

cut into bite-size pieces

Sauce:

2 Tb butter

2 cloves garlic

2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (I just grab a handful or so out of the sliced jalapeno jar and chop them up instead of using fresh - tastes just as good IMHO)

4 tsp ground cumin

4 tsp paprika

2-8 oz cans of tomato sauce

2 cups half 'n half

1/2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 tsp cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper

and ginger. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Saute chicken in 1 Tb oil.

3. Remove chicken from skillet and discard marinade.

4. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 4 tsp cumin and paprika. Stir in tomato sauce and half 'n half. Add chicken back into skillet. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20-30 minutes.

5. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve over brown rice or basmati rice.