Menu

Can anyone explain Fit Bit to me?

Alessandra

A couple of people mentioned Fit Bit on a recent iPad thread. I looked it up, and it sounds like something dd would like as a b'day present.

If you have one, do you like it? Use it? Prefer one model over another?

Any concerns with privacy? Your data goes into the cloud, right? (Dd has her own iPad.)

Bought my dh one & he lost it w/in 2 months. (He also did that w/ his iPod nano I gave him.)

He loved the Fit Bit during the time he had it. (He had the Fit Bit One.)

If your dd is the type to lose small items, this may not be the thing for her. (Just saying that based on my dh's experience.) In the future, I will buy only items that are at least 3 cubic feet in size (or larger) for my dh. :laugh:

Losing items - that would be ds.

Dd not only keeps track of her stuff, but finds other people's lost items. ("I think he left it under the dining room table a few weeks ago. You can't see it anymore because he threw some other things are on top.")

I was thinking of the Fit Bit One, because the wristband got some iffy reviews. If you were wearing it, where would you put that would be comfortable and relatively inconspicuous?

My dh wore it on the waistband of his pants &/or clipped inside his pocket. (Obviously this didn't work out so well for him.) I bought it from Sharper Image &, at the time, I think they offered a $10 warranty (including replacing it if lost), but I didn't buy it. It would have been well worth it for him. Don't know if that's an option on the Fit Bit website or not.

Sounds like your dd would be able to keep up w/ it. It would be pretty inconspicuous anyway as it's pretty small, imo.

Ds and I each have a FitBit Zip, and we really like them. We're wearing them right now. :)

We didn't care about the extra features on the more expensive models, so the Zip was a perfect choice for us.

Dh and I each have one of these as well. I purchased leashes for them through Amazon so we don't lose them. I don't need one, but dh does. :tongue_smilie: We wear them in our pockets and I clip it to a sports bra when exercising. It picks up steps if I'm walking, running, on a treadmill, or doing a video at home. We love it and it really helped us see that we didn't move as much as we thought we did.

Dh and I each have one of these as well. I purchased leashes for them through Amazon so we don't lose them. I don't need one, but dh does. :tongue_smilie: We wear them in our pockets and I clip it to a sports bra when exercising. It picks up steps if I'm walking, running, on a treadmill, or doing a video at home. We love it and it really helped us see that we didn't move as much as we thought we did.

They were a real eye-opener for us, too -- you think you're pretty active, but the steps don't lie!!! :eek:

These posts are so helpful. I had not really considered the Zip, because it was the least expensive model, kwim? Crazy, I know. But the Zip would do everything dd needs, as she does not need a sleep monitor. That it's available in pink is a huge plus too.

I'll keep coming back to this thread, the more comments the better.

Good idea. I see that Amazon still has the leashes.

I have the FitBit Zip and I love it. I also found it eye-opening as to how not-active I was. I stand a lot on the days I work and I feel tired at the end of the day so I always felt like I was active but in actuality my steps are really low. I realized my office space is small and I'm not really moving much. 

I also find it stupidly encouraging to log into the website and be able to see how well I am doing (or not). It makes me really want to get to my goal steps each day so sometimes I'll walk around the house at night just to get there. My brain knows it's kind of silly on one level but on another level it's completely motivating. 

I have the Fitbit One. I clip it to my bra every morning when I get dressed. If it's a "girls hang free" day, I clip it to my underpants. The rubbery exterior really grips. I really can't imagine it falling off.

I love it. I'm already adicted to my smart phone, so I check my Fitbit app about a hundred times a day. My spouse has one too. We're "connected" some kind of way so every day is a competition. You can text each other through the app. I'm pretty great at trash talk because my doggy and I go up about 20 flights of stairs a day.

Also every week it emails you a progress report and tells you who that week's winner is. I guess you can say that I like mine, LOL.

It sounds as though I should get one for myself. I'll probably be shocked.

Question --does it measure exercise besides walking, say strength training?

It only measures movement exercises by itself, but you can key in your strength training (what you did - how intense - how long) and it will calculate the calories burned and add it to your daily stats for you.

I have an Ultra (the gen before the One); my 16 year old has a Zip.

I use it for making sure I'm not too sedentary and for the handy dandy clock feature; 16 yr old uses his for estimating how far he is running when he is not on a familiar route. I clip mine to the bra top, he clips his to the pocket on his running shorts.

The biggest thing I've learned is that in winter, I was not getting enough activity to maintain a healthy weight. Portion control, good food, no problem, but I had to add in more movement to my daily routine.

A fun thing to do is team up with others and run contests.

Privacy is set as anyone, friends, and you...so you can share your info with whomever you like.

The product description on Amazon is pretty good.

Buy from a place that will swap it if you accidentally wash it. You may or may not need that...my Ultra has gone thru the washer twice and is still functioning perfectly, 18 months after the last wash but I've heard others haven't fared so well.

I am pretty sure I will end up buying one, but not at same time as dd, since it is her b'day, kwim?