Menu

11th grade testing for STEM kid (California)

Hi All,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster, who has enjoyed searching the boards over the years when researching curriculum.  I have a more general question that has prompted me to register.

We are independent homeschoolers in CA, meaning the UC's and Cal States do not have a direct path for admission.  We have long planned for the kids to rely on the local community college for the first 2 years, then transfer to a state school.  This made sense because (1)we have a high quality CC near us and (2) finances.  (Yes, I know people say private colleges can be cheaper, but we have some specific circumstances that will make the FAFSA wonky for us.)

Oldest son is 16, finishing sophomore year, pretty adamant about wanting to major in engineering.  In the past few weeks, he is also talking about going away to school--He is an independent kid and this would be good for him. 

The problem is that I am feeling a little stuck.  He is a bright kid when it comes to math and science, and above average in the humanities.  He has sort of followed a typical high school track, sort of not.  He likes to work independently.  He also does not like to be rushed.  If he is introduced to a concept, it is better to let it percolate and then come back to it.  This was another reason I figured the CC route would be good for him as he is not likely to be ready for AP or the like by the end of 11th grade. 

So far he has done AoPS for math (will finish Intermediate Algebra probably in July), a modified WTM great books approach for English and history, science with Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and Caveman Chemistry, foreign language is outsourced.  He also does robotics--founded a team this year with some friends after 4 years of FLL.  He worked with the same nonprofit for several years now fixing bikes.  The more nontraditional part of his background is that since the age of 12 he has worked approximately 1 day/week with a close family friend, and has strong building and woodworking skills, also welding skills (basic), car mechanic (basic), and plumbing (basic).

Yes, I know the science is weak for a STEM kid, but our plan was for him to do the intro classes at the CC where he could also do the labs.

I know 2 students IRL who recently were able to get into UC or Cal State engineering programs as independent homeschoolers, but both had at least 3 AP exams to put on the application.

Should we go the AP route so he has the option of trying for a state university?  If so, which ones would be best?  He is a passable writer, not excellent, and thus the humanities one (with the exception of maybe psychology) make me nervous.  He won't be ready for calculus.  Statistics would interest him, and might make sense because it would be a good intro if he were to do calculus based statistics later. 

Thoughts? 

I don't know anything about the public universities in CA, so I can't offer any suggestions about that issue.  Your son's science does not seem weak at all to me. He has already completed a physics and chemistry course and is involved in robotics.  He is also on track to have calculus as a senior.  He looks right on target to me. 

If you decide to go the AP route, I would suggest AP Chemistry with ChemAdvantage for this upcoming school year.  Your son could also study calculus based physics his senior year concurrently with calculus.  Has your son study any programming languages, or is that part of his robotics studies?  I would make sure he has had exposure to a programming language in high school if you could fit it into his schedule.

I don't know anything about the public universities in CA, so I can't offer any suggestions about that issue.  Your son's science does not seem weak at all to me. He has already completed a physics and chemistry course and is involved in robotics.  He is also on track to have calculus as a senior.  He looks right on target to me. 

If you decide to go the AP route, I would suggest AP Chemistry with ChemAdvantage for this upcoming school year.  Your son could also study calculus based physics his senior year concurrently with calculus.  Has your son study any programming languages, or is that part of his robotics studies?  I would make sure he has had exposure to a programming language in high school if you could fit it into his schedule.

Thank you, snowbeltmom, for your thoughts.

He has done some programming via robotics and also hanging out with a neighbor who works for MicroSoft.  But he tends to avoid it on the robotics team--prefers to be the one designing and building.  He is very much a hands-on kid.  That is one of the reason we have prioritized the job because he loves to work with his hands.  I think he would do well with a formal programming class, but I have neither suggested nor encouraged it because he has plenty already to keep him busy.  Do you think a programming class at the high school level should be high priority?  Or is exposure enough?

Do you think doing a second year of chemistry would be better than proceeding with biology?  My thought was to do biology next year (at home), and then let him start with either chem or bio at the CC. 

The issue with the CA universities is that for most there is not a direct path for admissions though they occasionally do take independent homeschooled kids IF they have great test scores.   I feel like he could have great test scores his senior year.  But his junior year?  Not so much.  Or maybe I am missing something?  It just feels like the admissions process is based on the first 3 years of high school and he really needs the 4th.

He has done some programming via robotics and also hanging out with a neighbor who works for MicroSoft.  But he tends to avoid it on the robotics team--prefers to be the one designing and building.  He is very much a hands-on kid.  That is one of the reason we have prioritized the job because he loves to work with his hands.  I think he would do well with a formal programming class, but I have neither suggested nor encouraged it because he has plenty already to keep him busy.  Do you think a programming class at the high school level should be high priority?  Or is exposure enough?

Do you think doing a second year of chemistry would be better than proceeding with biology?  My thought was to do biology next year (at home), and then let him start with either chem or bio at the CC. 

The issue with the CA universities is that for most there is not a direct path for admissions though they occasionally do take independent homeschooled kids IF they have great test scores.   I feel like he could have great test scores his senior year.  But his junior year?  Not so much.  Or maybe I am missing something?  It just feels like the admissions process is based on the first 3 years of high school and he really needs the 4th.

I would put math at the highest priority.  Imo, I would do a second year of chemistry rather than taking biology, but others would suggest the opposite.  I would try to fit in a programming class, but I wouldn't classify it as an absolute must. 

Which tests are you referring to?  AP exams or SAT/ACT scores? 

I would put math at the highest priority.  Imo, I would do a second year of chemistry rather than taking biology, but others would suggest the opposite.  I would try to fit in a programming class, but I wouldn't classify it as an absolute must. 

Which tests are you referring to?  AP exams or SAT/ACT scores? 

There is an admissions by exam route that requires extremely high SAT scores.  I don't think he could qualify by that because his verbal scores are more like 88-92nd percentile, not off the charts.

The other way to get in is to apply and use AP or SAT II to verify what he knows.  That is more what I am processing here.  It is a long shot because technically there is no clear cut "category" for kids like him.  IOW, he could do very well on AP his junior year and yet the public universities still reject him on the grounds that he did not follow their mandated curriculum.  It is hard to explain--Basically, the UC and Cal State system is not kind to independent homeschoolers, not because they are picking on homeschooling per se, but because they have no patience with all unaccredited high schools.

The things is, if he is going to apply to 4 year schools, then he probably should also apply to private and out-of-state options.  And I assume those schools will want a standard transcript (ugh) and test scores too.

Another question.  Would the ChemAdvantage give a strong lab experience?  The reason we opted for a laid back exposure type approach is because I figured the CC could put together a much stronger lab experience than we could at home.

Again, thank you for your thoughts.  I know I am the newbie here and have not contributed to the boards, and am appreciative of you taking the time to respond.

The things is, if he is going to apply to 4 year schools, then he probably should also apply to private and out-of-state options.  And I assume those schools will want a standard transcript (ugh) and test scores too.

Another question.  Would the ChemAdvantage give a strong lab experience?  The reason we opted for a laid back exposure type approach is because I figured the CC could put together a much stronger lab experience than we could at home.

Again, thank you for your thoughts.  I know I am the newbie here and have not contributed to the boards, and am appreciative of you taking the time to respond.

Most homeschoolers are accepted to college with a transcript and ACT/SAT I scores.  There are some colleges that also require SAT II's (usually two - three) and course descriptions for homeschoolers. 

I thought the ChemAdvantage lab program was strong because the labs definitely helped to reinforce the concepts.  However, the labs are conducted on a microscale level, so the kids aren't using the macro-scale lab equipment.  Could your son take chemistry at the cc his junior year?

Most homeschoolers are accepted to college with a transcript and ACT/SAT I scores.  There are some colleges that also require SAT II's (usually two - three) and course descriptions for homeschoolers. 

I thought the ChemAdvantage lab program was strong because the labs definitely helped to reinforce the concepts.  However, the labs are conducted on a microscale level, so the kids aren't using the macro-scale lab equipment.  Could your son take chemistry at the cc his junior year?

Chem at the CC?  Yes, possibly.  The CC has been impacted (overcrowded) the last few years because of the economy, but that has been easing up.  We need to visit and talk to a counselor.

I do not know anything about college admission, but wanted to say that with all your son does and knows how to do, I would like to put him on my future son-in-law list.

HA!  Awesome.

He once had a crush on a girl and built her a specialized Lego robot.  My husband and I about died of laughter (without him knowing).  Because true love deserves a robot.  Of course.

If your ds is looking into a STEM career at a 4 year school, I would definitely beef up Math and Science, through Physics, and at least Pre- Calc. Many schools recommend having a SAT Subject test in math and in science. AP's are helpful, too.

The plan is to keep at AoPS through calculus since he has done well with that curriculum. However, he won't finish calculus in time to use it for admissions purposes.  I guess that leaves the SAT II as the better option?  I don't want to speed up the math because he does better moving at his own pace. He is coming along with it and I don't want to mess with what works.

Not in CA either, but this blog writer is a prof in the UC system and a homeschooler who hangs out on the hs2coll yahoo group....

http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/admission-by-exam-at-uc/

http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/meeting-uc-a-g-requirements/

Hope these help.

Ooh.  Thanks.  Interesting.

It is a pain to validate courses for a though g.  The 2 families I know IRL who kids admitted did not validate all courses, just some of them.  There are so few homeschoolers percentage wise that it is hard to know the statistics--as in, is validating necessary versus applying without a through g.

We are not in CA but my ds is looking at several high ranking universities for Comp Sci and they want to see math scores so, SAT II is a good choice. We met with some recruiters from MIT and they like to see homeschoolers have several outward tests as well as letters of recommendations from outside sources. After I was finished being irritated by the fact that they were assuming my grades weren't "real", I started figuring out how to make it happen. I discussed it all with my ds and he agreed to step in to the level of work that it would require and he has taken the responsibility to follow his dreams.

We are not in CA but my ds is looking at several high ranking universities for Comp Sci and they want to see math scores so, SAT II is a good choice. We met with some recruiters from MIT and they like to see homeschoolers have several outward tests as well as letters of recommendations from outside sources. After I was finished being irritated by the fact that they were assuming my grades weren't "real", I started figuring out how to make it happen. I discussed it all with my ds and he agreed to step in to the level of work that it would require and he has taken the responsibility to follow his dreams.

I just looked at the SAT II math and...durp...yes, that one would work well because it does not assume calculus.  It would be perfect for the end of his junior year.

And yes, I get being irritated but such is life. 

Thanks for your input.

The plan is to keep at AoPS through calculus since he has done well with that curriculum. However, he won't finish calculus in time to use it for admissions purposes.  I guess that leaves the SAT II as the better option?  I don't want to speed up the math because he does better moving at his own pace. He is coming along with it and I don't want to mess with what works.

My gut feel is your son is doing fine and maybe you should do a dual enrollment in the CC for at least some senior year subjects maybe junior year spring semester such as a chemistry course. The fall semester CC grades in 12th grade might be in time to help with admissions if you request that.  College pacing is quick versus high school.

If your CC has a decent Eng Sci transfer program then that could provide flexibility. I would definitely speak to someone at the CC in the Engineering dept to see how well they place students for the last two years.

My gut feel is your son is doing fine and maybe you should do a dual enrollment in the CC for at least some senior year subjects maybe junior year spring semester such as a chemistry course. The fall semester CC grades in 12th grade might be in time to help with admissions if you request that.  College pacing is quick versus high school.

If your CC has a decent Eng Sci transfer program then that could provide flexibility. I would definitely speak to someone at the CC in the Engineering dept to see how well they place students for the last two years.

Yes, CC has a decent transfer program.  This is the kick in the pants that we need to talk to someone there. 

My gut feeling is the same--it ain't broke, don't fix it.  That was the main reason why I didn't want to switch to the approved UC high school curriculum in the first place:  we had been at this long enough to have an idea of what worked.  And part of that is he has lots of input into how do things, picks most of the literature books, etc. 

Thanks for your help.

My son was accepted provisionally at Cal State Long Beach, but I haven't sent his final transcript yet. I'm assuming, if they are going to cause trouble, that's when the trouble will happen.

My son is torn between CSULB and a local private university. He wants to study engineering; the private university only offers a 2/2 and 3/2 program, so he will have to transfer if he goes there. He is attending some classes with a friend tomorrow at CSULB. If he decides to attend CSULB, I'll be sure to post what happens with his transcript.

We homeschool through a PSP. He has no AP classes, no SAT subject tests, and no CC classes. He did pass three CLEP exams and scored a 31 on the ACT.  CSULB was always a back-up school. I'm very surprised it became one of his top choices. Maybe we would have made more of an effort to meet the A-G requirements.

My son was accepted provisionally at Cal State Long Beach, but I haven't sent his final transcript yet. I'm assuming, if they are going to cause trouble, that's when the trouble will happen.

My son is torn between CSULB and a local private university. He wants to study engineering; the private university only offers a 2/2 and 3/2 program, so he will have to transfer if he goes there. He is attending some classes with a friend tomorrow at CSULB. If he decides to attend CSULB, I'll be sure to post what happens with his transcript.

We homeschool through a PSP. He has no AP classes, no SAT subject tests, and no CC classes. He did pass three CLEP exams and scored a 31 on the ACT.  CSULB was always a back-up school. I'm very surprised it became one of his top choices. Maybe we would have made more of an effort to meet the A-G requirements.

So was he admitted under the "admissions by exam" route?  Or do the Cal States not do that?  Or do they even tell you?

Boy, I hope they don't give you grief over the transcript.  That would stink.

IDK if it is or not worth putting in the effort because it seems like the schools are accepting without a through g, but not clearly communicating back as to why. 

When I first looked at the links provided above, I though how hard could it be to provide the 7 categories.  But it is really much more than 7 -- history is 2 (American and World), science is 3, etc.  Not to mention, that the only testing option for a fine art would be an AP, so college level.  It's craziness. Doing some exams makes sense--doing 11 or 12 exams by junior year does not. 

I would NOT rush into Calculus based Physics after Conceptual Physics. I would suggest you do a good full-fledged  Algebra based Physics program first (see other posts in WTM) and then let your son do the Calculus based Physics at the college.  Physics and Math are the most important core subjects for Engineers.

I would NOT rush into Calculus based Physics after Conceptual Physics. I would suggest you do a good full-fledged Algebra based Physics program first (see other posts in WTM) and then let your son do the Calculus based Physics at the college. Physics and Math are the most important core subjects for Engineers.

This is not always necessary. It wasn't for my ds, who took AP Physics C (both mech and E&M) as a junior. His exposure to physics before that was eighth grade physical science and messing around with trebuchets for Science Olympiad.

I would NOT rush into Calculus based Physics after Conceptual Physics. I would suggest you do a good full-fledged  Algebra based Physics program first (see other posts in WTM) and then let your son do the Calculus based Physics at the college.  Physics and Math are the most important core subjects for Engineers.

I think this is student dependent.   My ds went from taking Kinetic Book's Conceptual Physics in 8th grade to dual enrolling in cal-based physics in 11th.   He never took a traditional high school physics course.   He did spend lots of free time watching TC physics lectures and on astronomy topics, but his 9th grade science was chemistry and his 10th AP chem.   The caveat is that he loves physics and math---but those are the precise reasons he did not need an alg based courses.

OP, would your ds be willing to take more than 1 science per yr.   My ds had zero interest in taking biology.   He loves physics and chemistry.   He is taking Thinkwell's bio course this yr in addition to his other science classes.  It is not up to par with his other science classes, but it certainly is adequate enough for a high school credit.   That might be an option to consider.

No help with the CA discussion, but there are plenty of out of state engineering options that might be of consideration for your ds.

OP, would your ds be willing to take more than 1 science per yr.   My ds had zero interest in taking biology.   He loves physics and chemistry.   He is taking Thinkwell's bio course this yr in addition to his other science classes.  It is not up to par with his other science classes, but it certainly is adequate enough for a high school credit.   That might be an option to consider.

No help with the CA discussion, but there are plenty of out of state engineering options that might be of consideration for your ds.

Yes, I think he would be open to the idea of doing more than one science.  It's just not something we had considered.  We were thinking biology for next year, and the community college for science his senior year.

I am wondering now if it would make sense to do bio and algebra physics next year, then he could do chemistry at the CC the fall of his senior year.

The other thought I had was for him to do bio next year and an extra math like statistics.  I have enough of a background with stats that I would help him with that for the AP test.  That would give him an extra test score. 

But I guess with physics he could do the SAT II test, yes? 

Yes.  The Physics SAT II test is algebra based.  Sparknotes online, which is free, lists the topics tested on the Physics SAT II. 

Okay.

This gives me some options to toss at him and he can decide which way to go.

I need to start thinking in terms of transcript, I guess.  I don't grade his work in a traditional sense, but suppose we could figure something out.

I second the yahoo group idea, but there have also been several threads -- just in the last month or so -- on this very board about CA admissions. Perhaps search "a-g," or I could link some threads later if you'd like. Just this year we've had several students from this board w/UC & CSU admissions, most of us NOT worrying about a-g. I have at least 3 PMs going on right now about CA admissions (which -- sorry! -- I've been too busy to follow up -- I'll get to them soon, I promise! :) ). I'm happy to answer specific questions here, but am rushing off to the library and then AP pre-reg meeting! ...

ETA : I know for a fact that if you put 'California' or 'a-g' in your thread title, you'll get more CA-specific advice!

I second the yahoo group idea, but there have also been several threads -- just in the last month or so -- on this very board about CA admissions. Perhaps search "a-g," or I could link some threads later if you'd like. Just this year we've had several students from this board w/UC & CSU admissions, most of us NOT worrying about a-g. I have at least 3 PMs going on right now about CA admissions (which -- sorry! -- I've been too busy to follow up -- I'll get to them soon, I promise! :) ). I'm happy to answer specific questions here, but am rushing off to the library and then AP pre-reg meeting! ...

ETA : I know for a fact that if you put 'California' or 'a-g' in your thread title, you'll get more CA-specific advice!

Thanks for the thread title tip.

I have seen a few of the admissions threads here and it mirrors what I am seeing IRL.  Students ARE getting admitted without a-g and without meeting the "admissions by exam" requirement.  (It has made me wonder if there is some sort of switch in the software where these students are not getting dumped into the different categories and thus are at least making it to the essay review stage?  Who knows.)

I finally got around to talking to my son's admissions evaluator at Cal State Long Beach. I told her we homeschooled as a private school. Our school is not accredited, and we do not have approved A-G courses. Will this be a problem? She said that as long as the courses on his transcript match the course names on the application he filled out and cover the A-G subjects, it shouldn't be a problem. Let's hope she's right if he decides to attend there. He is still torn between two schools.

I finally got around to talking to my son's admissions evaluator at Cal State Long Beach. I told her we homeschooled as a private school. Our school is not accredited, and we do not have approved A-G courses. Will this be a problem? She said that as long as the courses on his transcript match the course names on the application he filled out and cover the A-G subjects, it shouldn't be a problem. Let's hope she's right if he decides to attend there. He is still torn between two schools.

I just find this very cool.  When we made the decision to stay independent, it just irritated the snot out of me how that shut out the UC's as an option.  Not that I thought the UC's could be an option because of finances.  Still, it was just the general idea of how bureaucratic the whole process seemed to be.    And how much power the UC's have in terms of dictating high school education. 

Anyway.  I am rambling. 

Congratulations to your son!

I just find this very cool.  When we made the decision to stay independent, it just irritated the snot out of me how that shut out the UC's as an option.  Not that I thought the UC's could be an option because of finances.  Still, it was just the general idea of how bureaucratic the whole process seemed to be.    And how much power the UC's have in terms of dictating high school education. 

Anyway.  I am rambling. 

I think the UC's are still just as picky. Maybe the Cal State schools are ageting more flexible. Let's hope she knew what she was talking about.

Anyway.  I am rambling. 

I think the UC's are still just as picky. Maybe the Cal State schools are getting more flexible. Let's hope she knew what she was talking about.

fwiw, i have spent the last few weeks looking at this.  we are in SoCal, and dh wants dc to be eligible to apply to the UCs.

i narrowed it down to what i consider viable options for us:

i) acceptance by exam (SAT I + 2 SATII)

and the one we are aiming for

ii) a to g met by AP exams and 2 SATIIs

dd #3 is a sophomore this year.  she is just finishing her AP bio course thru pennsylvania homeschoolers.  she will do AP chem next year thru them, too.  for the UCs, two science APs at at least a 3 meets the complete science requirement.  

on the college board website, there are equivalents for the a-g courses, which are mostly APs with a required grade.

our current plan for dd#3 is

grade 10: ap bio

grade 11: ap chem, ap us history, and maybe ap calculus a/b or one of the ap english

grade 12: ap english, ap calculus b/c, and maybe ap spanish or latin and maybe AP music theory

subject tests: spanish, latin, world history

it is daunting.  dd #3 is dyslexic, so testing is a lousy way to go.... but she is an amazing biologist already, and an amazing violinist.  i must confess part of me hopes she gets admitted thru the violin.

there is also admission thru exception, but ???

hth,

ann

fwiw, i have spent the last few weeks looking at this.  we are in SoCal, and dh wants dc to be eligible to apply to the UCs.

i narrowed it down to what i consider viable options for us:

i) acceptance by exam (SAT I + 2 SATII)

and the one we are aiming for

ii) a to g met by AP exams and 2 SATIIs

dd #3 is a sophomore this year.  she is just finishing her AP bio course thru pennsylvania homeschoolers.  she will do AP chem next year thru them, too.  for the UCs, two science APs at at least a 3 meets the complete science requirement.  

on the college board website, there are equivalents for the a-g courses, which are mostly APs with a required grade.

our current plan for dd#3 is

grade 10: ap bio

grade 11: ap chem, ap us history, and maybe ap calculus a/b or one of the ap english

grade 12: ap english, ap calculus b/c, and maybe ap spanish or latin and maybe AP music theory

subject tests: spanish, latin, world history

it is daunting.  dd #3 is dyslexic, so testing is a lousy way to go.... but she is an amazing biologist already, and an amazing violinist.  i must confess part of me hopes she gets admitted thru the violin.

there is also admission thru exception, but ???

hth,

ann

It is daunting and I am not sure my son will want to change what we have been doing this late in the game.

As far as admissions by exceptions, I have not found any data as to who those kids are.  There is plenty of speculation that this the loophole for some of the student athletes, but I have yet to see confirmation of that.  There are some specific life circumstances and school regulations that can make it difficult for some of the public school kids to get a through g, so it makes sense to me that the loophole exists. 

The question is, are the admissions people willing to invoke it for a student who willfully opted out of a through g?

Did you read the book College Without High School?