Menu

Need advice: country living and filthy kids

I welcome the kids getting dirty: investigating streams, falling over in fields, climbing rocks..... All of that is one reason we moved: we wanted the children to get their hands on their world.

How do I cope with the clothes washing though? Do your children have outdoor clothes (jeans, etc.) that you don't wash every time they get muddy (I'm not talking about specks of mud - more like three inches of mud at the bottom of the trouser legs, or one whole side where a child fell over)? Or do your wash two or three sets of clothes a day for them?

Thanks

Laura (yes, it's very wet here. Local people keep telling us it's unusual, and the weather forecast keeps issuing flood warnings).

Well, we live on a bay so I'm pretty familiar with mud and muck and sand (my mortal enemy!!!) now. :D

My kids run around in their underpants or nude most days. Now that the summer is ending, they wear bathing suits a lot. I do have a plastic swimming pool right by the back door and they know they have to dip in there after swimming in the bay before they can come in. They've also learned that all clothes and shoes stay on the back door until I can sort them.

I have washed clothes off with the hose before they went into the washer.

Just cling to the idea that fall is coming, mama. Less mud. More leaves. If you live in the midwest or someplace else with seasons. Otherwise, you're just outta luck. :tongue_smilie:

Jen

Would your children be open to outdoor and indoor clothes? Before they come in, change in the garage or mudroom into clean clothes. If they want to go back out again, they change back into their already dirty clothes. This way, you only have one set of dirty clothes per day per child instead of three sets.

HTH!

Anna

Shorts helps because they could just rinse off their feet before coming in.

Once it got too cold for shorts, we had rainpants and knee-high rainboots to hold off the mud. It doesn't have to be raining to wear rainpants.:) We have a "mud season" here!

Once they turned about 6, they weren't into stripping on the back porch before they came in.

Shorts helps because they could just rinse off their feet before coming in.

Once it got too cold for shorts, we had rainpants and knee-high rainboots to hold off the mud. It doesn't have to be raining to wear rainpants.:) We have a "mud season" here!

Once they turned about 6, they weren't into stripping on the back porch before they came in.

I prefer the strip on the back porch method, too, but even my youngest kids are outgrowing that.

I second the boots. They're a must around here. They don't always protect the pants completely, but they can defray some of the mess, some of the time. They also keep shoes from getting ruined.

"Outside" clothes are also a must. We also have two trays by the door for setting boots in, if they're not too bad (overhang over the back porch isn't terribly wide, they can sometimes get rained in if they're left out).

It's just...messy. But I'm with you; this is one of the reasons we moved to the country, and it's just part of it. You'll get a rhythm and a set-up going, after a while. Sometimes I 'schedule' their going out so that it can be followed up directly with a shower, lol. (Right before dinner, etc.)

Good luck, and congratulations!

Well I have a girl, not a boy, but we have our fair share of mud around here too. I buy her really cheap sweat pants to wear for that. Don't know what I'll do if I have a boy, as they seem more prone to it. Maybe buy a new washer? :)

Just read the other posts. Yes, we use rain/mud boots too! Ditto on one set of clothes for that and let them get re-used all day. Yes, she strips in the mudroom. You let the stuff dry, bang it off, then wash. She's gotten neater with age, or maybe it's because I make her clean up after herself? That would be my suggestion, to make your boys clean up after themselves, so they're a little motivated to bring in less. If it's really bad, they can hose their pants off before they come in.

My boys are mud monsters, so I can relate. I have divided their clothes into "play" clothes, and "other" clothes. The play clothes are much more accessible in their closets ;)

If they end up with mud or dirt all over them, they know they are to strip down to their undies on the deck.

I too, have found myself having to spray off clothes with hose prior to putting them in the washer. On occasion, I even find myself having to spray THEM off before they can come into the house!

Krista

We live on a farm, and my dc get very, very dirty. They love being outside and get into all sorts of goo. ha. When their clothes are *really* dirty, I wash, even if they go through 2 or 3 sets a day. If they are just a little dirty, then I let them wear them for a day or two or more before washing.

Barn Boots - I am talking about the black rubber boots that go up to their knees. We have 4 boys out in the country with our own little mud producing crick. I also have given up on socks actually remaining white and each boy has a set of clothes in a special drawer for keeping nice. Baths happen every night and sometimes twice a day for youngest one.

We really need a place for muddy boots and clothes so it all doesn't come in.

Would your children be open to outdoor and indoor clothes? Before they come in, change in the garage or mudroom into clean clothes. If they want to go back out again, they change back into their already dirty clothes. This way, you only have one set of dirty clothes per day per child instead of three sets.

HTH!

Anna

My only concern is that Calvin is not a friend of the outdoors, so I want to make it as easy as possible for him to step out the door when he feels the urge. He wouldn't intentionally get dirty (fairly fastidious) but he's a klutz, so dirt happens to him.

Laura

Barn Boots - I am talking about the black rubber boots that go up to their knees. We have 4 boys out in the country with our own little mud producing crick. I also have given up on socks actually remaining white and each boy has a set of clothes in a special drawer for keeping nice. Baths happen every night and sometimes twice a day for youngest one.

We really need a place for muddy boots and clothes so it all doesn't come in.

Just in case it wasn't clear. Heavy duty rubber boots that come up to the knees.

Maybe I should insist on it on other days too. One day, I hosed Hobbes down while he was still wearing his rain pants and boots - it worked, after a fashion.

Laura

There's a reason the Scot's wore kilts. :) When it turns cooler, you might add knee socks and boots to shorts. Even is the shorts are filthy, they take less space in the washer.

Cave to long pants only when it turns cold. Of course then it snows and the long pants are soaked.

I do understand because I have one boy that is a mud magnet. He could be in the desert and find a mud hole.

If your boys have looked anything like he has after turning a mud hole into a slip and slide....I feel your pain.

I have play clothes and indoor clothes. When they get really muddy they get hosed off before coming in the door.

I usually end up just washing a couple extra loads.......

I actually love seeing them that muddy. It's something they never forget.

We wash at least two outfits (usually 3+) per day.

But it is only the pants/shirts. Most of the year it is only shorts/tank-tops.

The kids go barefoot most of the time- or wear boots or watershoes that are hosed afterward and left in the sun to dry.

Even if they happen to have sandals or tennis shoes on - I just hose them.

We never wear socks and I never wash shoes.

Children of all ages are required to strip to their underclothing on the porch/mud room. They go staight to the shower with underclothing still on. I hose all clothing before bringing it in the house (or leave it on the railing outside if it is going to rain.)

If we could afford one home improvement, it would be an outdoor privacy shower. :)

Dairy farming = gross clothes. No two ways around it. And our climate is also typically cooler and wet, as yours is now, Laura. Like others have said, my guys have farm/junk attire. It's just a given that going outside involves a different set of clothing. All the farm clothes are kept in separate laundry baskets and washed separately. They still look pretty gross even after washing, to be honest; "clean clothing" is a relative term on a dairy.:tongue_smilie:

Each person has two pair of barn boots since we need insulated boots in the winter. Plus there are junkie tennis shoes to be worn around the farm. I honestly think we own more farm clothes/shoes than we do "regular" stuff. My goal in life is to keep all the manure and dirt out there, not in my house. When we were looking to buy a farm way back when, I saw plenty of homes that were interchangeable with barns, e.g. equally dirty. The only way I can handle having a million gallon manure lagoon in my backyard is if I maintain order and cleanliness within these four walls.;)

Any-hoo, it'll start to be easier the longer you're there, Laura. Hope the answers here helped a bit.:)

Colleen,

I buy our milk from a local dairy that's really neat but when the store is out of it, I buy Organic Valley. It made me smile while shopping this week to think that your cows' milk might be in those containers!

We buy from here: http://www.shetlermilk.com/ most of the time because we're trying to be more locavoricious. :)

Now you all know where you can find us on September 20.

Jen

I buy our milk from a local dairy that's really neat but when the store is out of it, I buy Organic Valley. It made me smile while shopping this week to think that your cows' milk might be in those containers!

Thanks for supporting Organic Valley. Our milk is processed and sold here in the Pacific Northwest; you're enjoying milk from cows out your way when you drink OV.

We buy from here: http://www.shetlermilk.com/ most of the time because we're trying to be more locavoricious.

That looks like a nice place. Good for you for supporting local, sustainable agriculture.:)

A friend of mine recently installed a really cool outdoor sink that hooks right up to her outdoor spigot. It is a lot like this one http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-2281813-3787039?ASIN=B000FGDGIW&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000FGDGIW|ReelSmart_Outdoor_Sink_Station&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000FGDGIW&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

We generally do a strip down to undies thing here, too. And extra loads of laundry. Maybe it would help to keep towels by the door for modesty?

Thanks for supporting Organic Valley. Our milk is processed and sold here in the Pacific Northwest; you're enjoying milk from cows out your way when you drink OV.

We drink OV milk as well. I too have thought about you when buying milk! Maybe you could get OV to put a sticker on the cartons that have your cows' milk in them, so we know. ;) You know something like - "Straight from Colleen's cows."

Krista

We drink OV milk as well.

Thank you, too, for supporting Organic Valley.

I too have thought about you when buying milk! Maybe you could get OV to put a sticker on the cartons that have your cows' milk in them, so we know. ;) You know something like - "Straight from Colleen's cows.

We were just featured on milk cartons this past spring.:) Depending on which product you buy and where you buy it, the packaging may reflect your particular region. The link below shows the regional milk cartons.

http://www.organicvalley.coop/us/products/milk-and-cream/regional-milk/