Menu

Do you mention or correct mis-spellings in free writing?

I just glanced at my refrigerator and on my grocery list Peter has added: pankake micks.

I'm conflicted as to whether I should mention the correct spellings it to him.  

On one hand, I am thrilled that he is using writing to communicate.  He thinks being able to add things to the grocery list by himself is very cool even if I refuse to buy some of his more outlandish suggestions.  He just turned 5 last week, so I know these types of misspellings are completely appropriate and nothing to worry about, and I certainly don't want to dampen his enthusiasm....

On the other hand, though, I have read several spelling curricula that guard against allowing children to misspell words to avoid cementing those misspellings in their memories.  Does that theory only hold during spelling time, or extend into free writing?

On a third hand, is there an appropriate phonics rule I could be using this opportunity to teach?  I was never systemically taught phonics, and while Peter and I are working our way through OPGTR, his intuitive reading is jumping further and further ahead of what we have officially learned. Phonetically could he have known that cake starts with a c or is that just something he will have to pick up along the way?  Are mix and micks really homophones?

I'm probably overthinking this.  Clearly, how I handle any individual misspelling is of little import, but this is a very prickly kid who is convinced that he already knows everything there is to know - certainly more than me.  I pick my battles when it comes to correcting mistakes and I am trying to decide how important correcting spelling is.

Thanks.

Wendy

Some kids spell, some don't. He's got his own thing going. haha  If he's prickly I would casually mention it sounds like micks but it's actually mix. Maybe write mix, fix ... and let it go. Use it for your spelling lesson later in the week.

I do correct it on something like that. But only after I thank them and complement them first. And tell them it is a great opportunity to learn the rules. :)

Pancake. "C" makes the /k/ sound before a, o, and u. "C" makes the /s/ sound before i and e, so there you need to use a K. So K is usually only used before e and i. Though there are a few exceptions.

"Micks" "ck" is used after a single short vowel at the end of a base word. If you have "cks" then you have a plural word. "X" is used for non-plural/ non-possesive /ks/ sounds.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Some kids spell, some don't. He's got his own thing going. haha  If he's prickly I would casually mention it sounds like micks but it's actually mix. Maybe write mix, fix ... and let it go. Use it for your spelling lesson later in the week.

So far we aren't doing any formal spelling lessons.  I wasn't planning to start them until mid-kindergarten, probably after Christmas break.  Should I consider starting them sooner?  At what age or stage of reading do most people start a spelling program?

Thanks.

Wendy

I wouldn't be too concerned. if it comes up, mention the correct spelling. If my daughter does writing on her own (she does write stories occasionally) I just praise her work but I don't edit. Editing and correcting is saved for school.

As far as when to start spelling - we began after dd was reading & blending well and could read simple books. 

So far we aren't doing any formal spelling lessons. I wasn't planning to start them until mid-kindergarten, probably after Christmas break. Should I consider starting them sooner? At what age or stage of reading do most people start a spelling program?

Thanks.
Wendy

I actually use a spelling to learn reading program. (I use Logic of English Foundation, but there is also Spaulding, and All about spelling and. Some others). So we do spelling while we are learning reading. I love it because now I do understand the rules for myself, which I never learned in school either. My spelling is so much better now. (My typing is still terrible though, so don't judge by my posts ;) )

Also the spell to red program works for my natural reader and my struggling reader. My struggling reader is learning to read and spell. My natural reader is mostly learning to spell.

My 5-year-old responds well to something like, "Great job adding to the list!  You did make a couple of mistakes with your spelling; would you like me to tell you the correct way so you'll know how for next time?"  Sometimes she says yes, sometimes no.  I follow her lead.  It works well for both of us, because I am not ignoring the error, but she has control over whether she is corrected in her free writing.  

I wouldn't.

I get the most adorable notes from my 4.5 y/o - they're entirely unreadable until I sound them out and then it totally makes sense.  They're precious.  I would not / do not correct her spelling one bit.  If she asks, I'll help her work it out, but otherwise not.  We'll do spelling lessons when we get there, but I'll not critique her personal writings.

I will be the voice of dissent and say NO!!!!  My 5yo dd just today was looking at the grocery list I was making.  I said I needed to put butter on the list, and she said she'd do it for me.  "butr".  I was thrilled and told her thanks for helping me. 

There is a very cute metaphor in some Bravewriter materials.  I will just paraphrase:

When your 11 month old baby is sitting watching you get snack ready, and suddenly points to the fruit bowl and says "Nana!", do you react by,

a) "That is a banana.  Buh.  Buh.  Banana.  I see you want a banana.  That's great.  You should say please when you are making a request.  Like this:  Banana please.  Or better yet, Mommy, I would like a banana.  But it was a good try!"

or

b)  "Nana!  Yes!  Nana!  Here! *peels banana at warps speed for baby*  Honey!  The baby said banana!  The baby is talking!  *texting mom on phone*  Mom, your grandbaby can talk!!!  Do you like the nana, baby?  Mmmmm you love that nana!"

Learning to write is like learning to talk.  Celebrate everything!  I highly doubt that "micks" is going to be ingrained in your child's head as the correct spelling of mix!

I have never corrected my child's spelling when she writes on her own - I do however teach her the words she commonly misspells during a spelling session and I have come to see this translate to correct spelling everywhere very quickly. She also asks me words she knows she cannot spell and I spell them for her. 

What your child wrote is actually phonetically advanced for 5:

He correctly wrote pan, using k/c causes many children problems and he will need to learn the rules (k only if followed by a e,i, or y)

He used a silent E in pancake which takes many children a while to get right.

mix - he got the m and i sound correct (i and e can cause some problems)

He used a ck ending which is also advanced for 5 - most children would just use a c or a k (not both) - sure it should have been a x (but that is the sound of ks anyway) - again he will need to know that words that are singular concepts that end in that sound usually end in x (fox, box, but kicks because it is plural or because it is the form of verb used for a singular pronoun like he kicks) 

This is all expecting a fair amount of a 5 year old. Let him read and read and read and see these words correctly - he may spell then wrong but eventually he will say: that does not look right and change it.

I wouldn't correct that and when I was teaching my dd I did take the approach to teach her the correct way and the school she goes to now does. That is good for a kid that just turned 5. My dd went through writing stages. Around 5 she started spelling and her spellings were very phonetic and sometimes were missing vowels she could do cvc words but in names with more than one syllable or a word like pancake it would only have the first vowel. She eventually got the vowel thing down pat but would write things very similar to your son. I did teach her some of the rules but I didn't correct something like that. He actually is picking up quite a bit like ck is used for a k sound after a short vowel and the silent e rule. My dd does ask me how things are spelled a lot or if she spelled it correctly and then I tell her. Her school work gets corrected but not stuff like that. My 5.5 year old can't spell a very phonetic pancake mix yet. 

YES! Son 2 suffered from "Inventive Spelling" in public school which we are still having to correct years later. Correct the spelling {maybe not every word} but correct the spelling once they are old enough {ie 1st grade or so level} to have had some spelling instruction. I do not, however correct my dd's work for spelling as she is still barely starting out. 

One of my kids invented a code (basically phonetic spelling) and wrote out a version of The Country Mouse and the City Mouse in that writing, complete with a picture. It is utterly darling and I will treasure it forever, along with love notes written in all caps and full of misspellings. I would let it pass. The child is 5.

That's adorable!  No, I wouldn't correct, especially at age 5! You want him to keep writing!

However, if you work on spelling as a subject, you can casually work in words that you see misspelled with your lessons when the concept fits. 

Another thing I've done is to keep an interactive journal--kids write me notes and I would write back. In my reply, I try to use words they misspelled, so that they could see them correctly.

Have fun with it!

I will be the voice of dissent and say NO!!!!  My 5yo dd just today was looking at the grocery list I was making.  I said I needed to put butter on the list, and she said she'd do it for me.  "butr".  I was thrilled and told her thanks for helping me. 

There is a very cute metaphor in some Bravewriter materials.  I will just paraphrase:

When your 11 month old baby is sitting watching you get snack ready, and suddenly points to the fruit bowl and says "Nana!", do you react by,
a) "That is a banana.  Buh.  Buh.  Banana.  I see you want a banana.  That's great.  You should say please when you are making a request.  Like this:  Banana please.  Or better yet, Mommy, I would like a banana.  But it was a good try!"

or

b)  "Nana!  Yes!  Nana!  Here! *peels banana at warps speed for baby*  Honey!  The baby said banana!  The baby is talking!  *texting mom on phone*  Mom, your grandbaby can talk!!!  Do you like the nana, baby?  Mmmmm you love that nana!"

Learning to write is like learning to talk.  Celebrate everything!  I highly doubt that "micks" is going to be ingrained in your child's head as the correct spelling of mix!

:) actually I definitely would have said "banana" to my 11th month old. Though I wouldn't of expected her to say please.

I would have said something like. "Yes that's a banana!" Emphasizing the "ba". But wouldn't expect her to say the "ba" the next time or anything.

I never, ever try to avoid :) correcting spellings in free writing unless I am asked.  But I do note them, and I will include them in bonus words in spelling quizzes.  (We always have bonus words so that I can focus on particular problems.)