Menu

Sea literature

This is sort of random, but a couple of years ago I ended up (unplanned) reading quite a bit of sea literature.  I've often thought of that grouping of books and how much I enjoyed them.  I suppose such a list could be found on Amazon, but I'm just giving it a plug here because I'm in no way a sea-faring person.  I'm a land-locked land-lubber, in fact.  But I found these books, especially taken together, tremendously interesting reading.  Maybe a summer reading program for by the pool? :)

Two Years Before the Mast

Captains Courageous

Treasure Island

Endurance

Moby Dick

Adrift

Kidnapped

Robinson Crusoe

The Long Ships  

I never read any any Horatio Hornblower, but I'd like to get to it.  Maybe others have favorites to add (for some reason I keep thinking of Nan)?  I wouldn't mind sucking down a few more.

I found that O'Brian was much more interesting to me as an older adult than when I was younger. I appreciated the writing but couldn't stick with the book.

As an older reader I was more able to appreciate the themes of disappointment, frustration and betrayal.

Hornblower was much more open to me when I was younger. It still has infidelity in later books but it's less of a central theme or plot device.

Carry On Mr Bowditch is also good.
The Perfect Storm

Not much on this list after WW2.

So

The Flight of the Intruder
David Poyer (I'm partial to The Gulf because the first scene involves the class of ship I had as my first ship, but I think The Med was the first one he wrote in the series)
The Hunt for Red October

Nonfiction
Halsey's Storm
Sailors to the End (everytime I have this in my hands I end up reading a fair chunk before I can set it down)

Tim Severin recreated historical voyages and wrote engaging books about them.  Sea voyages included the routes of Odysseus, Jason, Brendan and Sinbad.  I think they're pretty much all out of print--we've ordered them through our library system.

It's probably the Brendan Voyage, I'm thinking of.

http://www.amazon.com/Brendan-Voyage-Modern-Library-Exploration/dp/0375755241/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AKC7RXASTE82H6GJYTH