Menu

Gyro Recipe- Please share

caitlinsmom

We like this one a lot: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/traditional-gyro-meat/

I do bake the whole thing and then slice it thin and fry it.  It just tastes a little better that way. 

For the sauce, I do 8 oz yogurt, 8 oz creamy cucumber salad dressing, and 1 cucumber peeled and finely chopped.

It's not the same as the gyro place down the road, but it's pretty close.

Beth

We use our Showtime Rotisserie grill… and then slowly slice it off as it cooks.  It's not the same, but it's good.  We buy a piece of meat (I think it's top roast?) at Target…. freeze it for 20 minutes….slice thin….then marinade in onions, flat leaf parsley, a little vinegar, lemon juice, and schwarma spices (pre made mix I buy at the Arabic store).

For the sauce….Greek yogurt, 3-4 cloves garlic minced, 1/2 English cucumber chopped fine, a little salt, and maybe 1 T of olive oil.  

We like this one a lot: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/traditional-gyro-meat/

I do bake the whole thing and then slice it thin and fry it.  It just tastes a little better that way. 

For the sauce, I do 8 oz yogurt, 8 oz creamy cucumber salad dressing, and 1 cucumber peeled and finely chopped.

It's not the same as the gyro place down the road, but it's pretty close.

Beth

it just dawned on me that i could use ground meatless meat with the spices for a vegetarian version.  has anyone tried that?

we are tending towards a vegetarian diet that doesn't use meat substitute, but we tried morning star sausages last weekend, and are looking for more things that tasty!

ann

it just dawned on me that i could use ground meatless meat with the spices for a vegetarian version.  has anyone tried that?

we are tending towards a vegetarian diet that doesn't use meat substitute, but we tried morning star sausages last weekend, and are looking for more things that tasty!

ann

I think falafels would taste better on it than fake meat. Falafels are delicious.