Menu

Since I know y'all love talking about Disney...

lavender's green

I'd love to hear about your experiences and insights if you went to WDW when you had a one year old and three year old (give or take a few months/years).  I'm kind of getting cabin fever here, and all these Disney threads have me in vacation planning mode.  But I don't want it to be a complete disaster because of the kids' ages.

Oh, and is there a resort that you think is particularly awesome with those ages?  I know that we'll need to take it slow and if one of the resorts is particularly awesome for that, I'd love to hear about it (for example I think Dixie Landings has lots of trails/landscaping?  That could be good for us when we need to do something low-key and close to base).  Also, long bus rides sound horrible with over-stimulated littles!

I'll do lots of research on my own, of course, but if the hive cares to nudge me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

ETA: I called it Dixie Landings because that's what my mom called it when I was talking to her about it.  Now it's Port Orleans.  We stayed there when I was 7 or so.

Also...looks like we're going in just 6 weeks or so instead of in the fall!  So it'll be a not-quite-3-yo and an 8 month old!

Revisiting this (sorry I'm in WDW planning mode so it's on my mind) - I chose Port Orleans French Quarter when I planned our trip 2 years ago. I chose it because it's a smaller resort and supposedly much quieter than the other moderates. I also liked that it's got many little trails and the ferry boat to Downtown Disney. I upgraded to AKL because of a special so never stayed there but it looked very nice when we visited. If I choose a moderate this time, I think it will be POFQ. I went back and forth between POFQ and Port Orleans Riverside and choose FQ because it was smaller and still had access to all of the amenities of POR which is only a short walk or boatride away. POR is much bigger than FQ.

I thought that with a little one, we would want a smaller quieter resort.

This sounds like our sort of thing.  Nice, quiet downtime.

Thanks! :)

I'd love to hear about your experiences and insights if you went to WDW when you had a one year old and three year old (give or take a few months/years). I'm kind of getting cabin fever here, and all these Disney threads have me in vacation planning mode. But I don't want it to be a complete disaster because of the kids' ages.

Oh, and is there a resort that you think is particularly awesome with those ages? I know that we'll need to take it slow and if one of the resorts is particularly awesome for that, I'd love to hear about it (for example I think Dixie Landings has lots of trails/landscaping? That could be good for us when we need to do something low-key and close to base). Also, long bus rides sound horrible with over-stimulated littles!

I'll do lots of research on my own, of course, but if the hive cares to nudge me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

I went with these ages! It was wonderful.

We stayed at All Star Music. My DD looooooooved Ariel and my son just followed his sister right along, :lol:

Between the pools, and the playground and the giant statues, it was more than enough to do at the resort.

Edit...it was music, not movies! Oops!

We went with those ages!!!  Plan on taking LOTS of breaks and taking it at the kids' pace.  Plan for days off from the parks.  Get a stroller.  

We ended up spending quite a bit of time on things that just seemed a little silly to me - the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and climbing on a dinosaur in Animal Kingdom.  But, those are some of my fondest memories of that trip!  Still, at the time, it was hard to justify the cost of the tickets if all my kids were going to do was play on the playground!  Now, I know better.  

We always stay at POFQ.  There are many pools.  One BIG one with activities for the kids and a full bar for the adults :).  And a couple of smaller ones.  There are also playgrounds and hammocks all over the property.  There are nice paths through lush greenery. Absolutely gorgeous.  But, it's the only place we've stayed (and we've been NUMEROUS times!).  With a family of 6, the deluxe resorts get WAY expensive.  But, I'd LOVE to stay at the Poly or Animal Kingdom Lodge someday!

Is driving a possibility?  My BIL and SIL always drive from their resort to the park so they can get back faster to the resort.  Now that my kids are older, we take the busses.  A car is usually faster - except for Magic Kingdom.

And, time of year matters too.  Go when there aren't many lines.  We LOVE February.  We've been in January, but one year it was below freezing!  We've also been in September, but it was HOT.  Avoid holiday weekends.  Even three day weekends are horribly crowded.

I don't know of a Dixie Landings resort. We stay at AKL or the Contemporary because of DVC points, but I like both of those hotels for littles. The Contemporary is great because it's walking distance to Magic Kingdom and you can monorail back "home." AKL is relaxing, and it's so beautiful! If you get a savannah view room, you can see zebras and giraffes right there off your balcony.

We have gone about once a year since DS was 5 mos old. The trip when he was 18 mos and DD was 3 was the hardest. Both were mobile and wanted to run in different directions. We used the double stroller and the kid "backpack" (leash!) a good deal. It was harder to keep both happy/contented and contained than the year before or after.

This year we had an 18 month old, and it was a blast. She loved the characters and parades and seeing new things. And I had extra people to chase her. ;)

I'm not trying to discourage you. It wasn't so bad that I will skip the trip in 2 years when we again have 1 and 3 year olds. :) Bring a good double stroller (or rent one, not from Disney) and lots of snacks.

We've been taking the kids to WDW since they were 2-ish (twins are now almost 7, little sis almost 6). At those younger ages, it's easy to steer the kids toward attractions with no or short lines! ;)

My kids' favorite "ride" was, for a long time, the Tiki Room. They still enjoy it, and they LOVE the Peoplemover. We got a fastpass for Peter Pan a couple of times, and they enjoyed the ride, but they'd much rather do two or three other things in the time we'd spend standing in line for one of the more popular rides. There's a lot off the beaten track that is still just as magical for young ones. We even did the hall of Presidents last trip (last month), and they were fascinated.

Get the schedules for the various "street performers", parades, and other shows, my kids eat those up (and no lines!)

We went to Disneyland for 2 days with an 8 week old and 2.5 year old.  We did a full 8 days at Disney World with a 1 and 4 year old (and 6 and 8 year old).  We stayed offsite both times, so I am no help there.

We had a blast both times.  I mean, any vacation is hard with little people.  But, no where on earth is more catered to young kids than Disney.  I carried the one year old in a sling quite a bit.  But, I would plan on a sling/stroller or double stroller for sure.  Disney is A LOT of walking.  I nursed the 1 year old in a lot of shows.  The 2-4 age has been fun for our kids because they think all the princesses and characters are real and go crazy when they see them.  

Port Orleans is a good resort for littles like your mom suggested, but Art of Animation is even better. Get a one bedroom suite. I have taken my grandson twice, once at age 2 and again a few months ago at age 3. He loves running back and forth between the different characters which are scattered on the grounds.

In regards to babies, I always started mine at Disney sometime their first year of life. I think DD13 had been there 3 or 4 times by the time she turned 1. Make sure you buy canned, single serving formula to pack in the stroller all day. This will eliminate having to lug around a heavy cooler.

To me, the smartest baby and toddler vacationers have the best one handed folding stroller. Back when mine were babies, Peg Perego had the best traveling in Disney stroller ever. Boarding those busses with a loaded stroller and a baby or two is an art form. The stroller must fold one handed while the bottom compartment remains full. Practice a few times prior to your trip.

One final piece of advice is pack light for the parks. That stuff is really heavy.

1. Formula
2, Diapers
3- travel size wet wipes
4. A couple of plastic bags for poopy diapers.
5. Something to entertain kiddos at restaurants. We use character figurines and an Ipad for movies.
6. One change of clothes in case your kiddos discover the water features.
7. Carrying the stuffed animal or blanket your kiddo cannot do without is a BAD idea in the parks. I have lost so many over the years. Nonetheless, you know what your kiddos need.
8. Baby sunscreen.
9. Hats

Have a great trip1

I forgot to mention, if you must take the special blanket or stuffed animal, find a way to attach it to the stroller. And, tie something big and colorful to your stroller like a scarf so you will be able to find it among the sea of strollers.

OH! The baby rooms! In each theme park there is a "Baby Center" with chairs, restroom, books/toys/tv, a sink and (I think) microwave, clothing available for purchase, and an attendant. These are wonderful places if you need to clean up a mess, prepare formula, want a comfy place to BF, need to regroup, or just need to chill for a little while with overstimulated little ones. Strollers do have to stay outside because they aren't huge, and they aren't very obvious (Epcot's is around one side of that weird building between Future World & World Showcase). Check the map and/or ask when you get to the park so you'll know where to head if/when you need it.

These places were lifesavers on our early visits!

My kiddos had a blast at those ages.  The most important advice:  Take it slow.  You aren't going to be able to do a whole lot.  Follow your kids' lead.  Take them back to the hotel for their regularly scheduled nap time.  Use the Baby Centers (they're amazing).

Strollers are an absolute must.  You can bring your own, rent one from Disney, or rent one from here, and they'll deliver it to your hotel room. http://www.kingdomstrollers.com/

Take lots of breaks.  Disney is overwhelming even for adults, and even more so for kids.

They may be scared of the characters.  My youngest was at first (9 months), but he got over it quickly.  Don't be disappointed if you wait in line for a long time, and then your child decides to bail at the last minute.

Be prepared to ride Dumbo ad nauseum.  Or at least play in the waiting queue for a long time.  I've heard of kids having so much fun in there, that they don't want to get on the ride when the pager beeps them.

Bring a change of clothes for each child when you go in the parks.  They will usually need them.

Spend lots of time preparing your kids.  Watch the movies, sing the songs, preview the rides on youtube.  It will help them get a feel for what to expect.

Their favorite thing will be swimming in the hotel pool.  Be prepared for that and laugh.  Then plan another trip.

And most important of all:  Have a magical time!!!

Okay, we have five days of tickets.  We're thinking:

2 day in Magic Kingdom

1 day in Animal Kingdom

At least one day in Epcot

With the final day, would you do an extra day in Epcot, or Hollywood Studios?  I enjoy fast rides and DH doesn't.  Baby nurses often, so I'd rather not be leaving them all behind while I stand in lines (I know fastpass is an option, though)  Toddler isn't terribly familiar with most Disney stories, so I don't know much much we'd get out of shows (but maybe he'd love them?).  I lean toward doing Epcot again unless you guys think Hollywood's a really great park for our type of situation.

Those are great ages to go :) We live 3 hours away and have season passes....we've taken our kids at all ages.....and we currently do have a toddler in the house, so here's some tips I often go by when doing Disney with young kids.

We never attempt to make rope drop (park opening). We let the kids sleep so they won't be cranky and usually stroll in around 10.

If your kid is a stroller napper, that's AWESOME! I've trained all my kids to nap when they get tired. I was never one to make sure I was home at naptime because usually it was an inconvenience. Same for Disney. We don't go back to the room for naps or anything....I've found that it takes way too much time and way too much struggle. The kids nap in the stroller (we were at Disney this past weekend and our 2 year old napped for 2 hours in the stroller) and we stay in the parks as late as we want. Sometimes that's 6 PM, sometimes it's midnight. Just depends on the day.

Bring snacks....lots of snacks LOL. It helps with the waiting in line and also with the budget. We never purchase snacks at Disney. We eat breakfast in the room, bring our lunch in a cooler, and purchase dinner in the park.

Bring new toys. Go to the Dollar Tree and buy a light up spinner instead of paying $20 at Disney when they roll out those flashy carts at night time.

Do a day off between parks. We love doing this. Usually when we go for an extended period (longer than 3 days), we do a park every other day. On the "off" days we hang out at the resort, swim, ride the monorail, rent surrey bikes, explore other resorts (there's lots to see!), play in the arcade, explore other things in Orlando, go to Downtown Disney, ride a pony in the campground, etc. It allows for some recharging of your batteries with little kids. We will do this even when we no longer have little kids LOL.

Bring a change of clothes for little kids when you go into a park. It's a pain to get back to the resort if they need to be changed. The one time I forgot to pack a change of clothes for my toddler (this past Saturday), she fell down after a huge downpour and got soaked all down the front of her dress. There was nothing I could do about it! We were in MK and that place is a pain to get out of. Monorail to tram to car to resort....would have taken a long time.

Do a character meal or two. It's MUCH better to see four characters while you eat (they come to your table) than to wait in line for individual characters. Character meals are my preferred way of meeting characters!

We like to stay offsite a lot. With little kids, having separate bedrooms (so they can sleep while you are awake at night) and a full kitchen is AWESOME. Plus, it's TONS cheaper than staying onsite. We just got a full kitchen, separate bedroom this past weekend for $88 per night. It was immaculate.

Drive if possible. I hate trying to finagle strollers, backpacks, and kids on the trams and Disney buses. We drive every single time (with the exception of when we stay in a resort where we can just hop a boat....like the campground). You don't have to fold down strollers for the boat. Plus, a sleeping kiddo is much easier if you can just plop them into their own comfy carseat and you can throw your stuff in the trunk....as opposed to being crammed on bus (possibly standing up) with tired kids, a folded stroller, along with 50 of your closest smelly friends LOL.

These are some of the things that have always worked for us. :)

Also, it is definitely much more fun when the kids are familiar with the characters. I'd definitely introduce them as much as I can over the weeks before you go. There's few things as magical as seeing your toddler light up when their favorite character has stepped off of the TV screen and into real life in front of them :)

Okay, we have five days of tickets.  We're thinking:

2 day in Magic Kingdom

1 day in Animal Kingdom

At least one day in Epcot

With the final day, would you do an extra day in Epcot, or Hollywood Studios?  I enjoy fast rides and DH doesn't.  Baby nurses often, so I'd rather not be leaving them all behind while I stand in lines (I know fastpass is an option, though)  Toddler isn't terribly familiar with most Disney stories, so I don't know much much we'd get out of shows (but maybe he'd love them?).  I lean toward doing Epcot again unless you guys think Hollywood's a really great park for our type of situation.

In your situation, I would probably do Epcot twice and skip HS. I think Epcot is very kid-friendly if you have a stroller - there are usually lots of 'street performances' at the various countries, like the acrobats in China, Japanese drums, I think the candy making is in Japan as well, lots of live music. They have a kid craft/activity at each country and they can get a certificate for completing all of them. Plenty of characters at Epcot as well (including the ones from Frozen, but I wouldn't bet on meeting them, people are waiting for hours). On one trip, my kids spent a good amount of time just looking at the aquariums. They also love trying snacks from all over the world (which gets expensive if you don't have a dining plan).  

We generally give a day to HS, but the good stuff there tends to involve tons of waiting and/or sitting in the sun, and much of it isn't toddler friendly. We love Toy Story Mania and Rock and Roll Roller Coaster, but I wouldn't go just for those. Some littles enjoy the stunt shows, but they are pretty long (and outside). HS also has pretty craptastic food choices compared to the other parks. I find that it feels kinda cramped and crowded as well. 

I would definitely take the kids to HS. They have a Little Mermaid show and the whole Playhouse Disney show as well. Super fun for little ones. The Toy Story ride is really cool. If you like roller coasters, you might want to try the Aerosmith roller coaster. My dh also likes the Tower of Terror.

Each park only has a couple rides that the little ones can't go on. So, you shouldn't be spending long periods of time away from the baby (unless you want to, of course). :-)

We have brought infants and toddlers on our last 7 trips. Everyone above had great advice. We liked the Contemporary when we had 3 kids (ages 5, 2, and 3 months). Mainly it was nice to just be so close. We liked the Polynesian as well for close proximity. POR was just lovely and nice to have the boat to ride to Downtown Disney. We stayed there with one 2 1/2 yo. All Star movies was fun with our 1 and 4 yo, because of the giant Woody. :-) We have also stayed at Old Key West, All Star Sports, Caribbean Beach, and Coronado Springs. They're all really great.

You should definitely have a look at the Disboards- there are huge changes going on at WDW. They no longer have paper fastpasses- there's a new fastpass system where you sign up in advance- if you're going in 6 weeks your window for scheduling fastpasses should already be open. The new system is affecting standby wait times as well, so have a look to see which rides are the best to sign up to use a fastpass for- it could bring a ride with a crazy wait time down to 10 minutes or so (think Peter Pan or the Toy Story ride at HS.)

Also, if you want to eat at a table-service restaurant, you will need an advance reservation (I believe those can be made over 180 days in advance, and people really do schedule them that early!) The new Be Our Guest restaurant is a quick-service for lunch but there's a separate website where you can get a fastpass for lunch there and bypass the crazy line. There's also a new ride opening in Fantasyland (7 Dwarves Mine Train) and hopefully they'll be releasing fastpass times for that soon.

We went when our kids were 18 mos and nearly 4 and I thought it was a great time. An afternoon rest in the hotel is a must. Look into the locations of the Baby Care Centers in the parks- great place to chill out for a few minutes and change a diaper or nurse in a calm environment.

We used Ridemax for our last trip there and it was totally necessary and worth it because we had never been to several of the parks. I recommend it for anyone who hasn't been in a while or doesn't know their way around really well.

Plenty of characters at Epcot as well (including the ones from Frozen, but I wouldn't bet on meeting them, people are waiting for hours).

Anna & Elsa will be moving to Fantasyland in MK in a couple of weeks, and you can make a fastpass reservation for them. However, you'd probably have to break your party into sets of 2 to get one at this point- the times will be slightly staggered but you can just go when the window overlaps. So that will allow you to avoid the hours-long wait.