Menu

bookcase for front facing books??

Mommamia

I'm searching for a bookcase that allows the books to face with the covers showing. Could be one that attaches to the wall.

Thanks for any help.

A little while back a link was posted where someone had used rain gutters and attached them directly to the wall to place books in. It looked great and it would be a relatively cheap, easy solution.

Ah, here we go: http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/oliver.html

rain gutter book shelves

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10756

A little while back a link was posted where someone had used rain gutters and attached them directly to the wall to place books in. It looked great and it would be a relatively cheap, easy solution.

Ah, here we go: http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/oliver.html

rain gutter book shelves

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10756

I was just going to suggest that! I love the idea, but unfortunately don't have room in my house!

Hee! I posted that same pic link in the other thread on this. :lol:

:tongue_smilie: Yes - I saw that after I posted mine and then scrolled down and saw the other thread. Teach me to post without skimming everything that's going on at once.

(Also that we both use google well. :))

:tongue_smilie: Yes - I saw that after I posted mine and then scrolled down and saw the other thread. Teach me to post without skimming everything that's going on at once.

(Also that we both use google well. :))

I wasn't complaining, I just thought it was funny we used the exact same flicker picture (which I actually had bookmarked from when it was posted before). :D

Oh my, I was going to mention the rain gutter shelves too! Great minds think alike, lol!

I got lucky and got one of these bookshelves at Goodwill. Unfortunately, the pockets are a bit deep and many of thebooks drop too low. I need to put something in there to raise it up. Anyway, it really is helpful, especially for those that can't read yet and therefore can't read the title off the spine. Even older kids are more inspired to pick up books when they can see the cover.

We have rain gutter bookshelves, so another vote for those. They're easy to install and inexpensive, we've had ours for two years and they have encouraged so much reading here- I put new books on them and they're always quickly taken down for a read, and when playmates come over sometimes I find them sitting in the play room/school room reading. You can cut them to any size if you have a shorter wall.

Pic (I know I have a better one somewhere but can't find it):

ry%3D320

Nicole, that looks so great! I'm thinking when we finally get a schoolroom set up maybe we should have rain gutter bookshelves too. Thanks for the pic.

Glad it was helpful! My kids love arranging the books and changing them out every now and then.

Sorry about the multiple posts, I'm bad about remembering that there is a multi-quote function.

My 7 yr old spotted that one at Half Price Books a couple of years ago, he loves maps and geography.

Same with mine. I found my copy from Great Britain off Ebay. My 8 year old draws maps of most of the books he reads. I plan to buy him a poster of the Wizard of Oz lands soon. He will love it. He has been drawing his own for months.