Menu

need a paint color for my new kitchen

mom@shiloh

I just can't decide.  My new cabinets are hickory, with a medium stain.  The new floor will be red oak -- haven't chosen a stain for that yet.  My dining room is a gorgeous green called "Restful"  What's not to like about a color with a name like that?  I need to paint tomorrow and I can't make up my mind. What do y'all think?  

Thanks for your replies.  I like the idea of a soft/grayish yellow, if that makes sense.  My dh is not big into yellow, but has learned to let me make these decisions.  ;)

I painted our entire third floor (big, open space) yellow and every time I glance up the stairs it looks like the sun is shining.  I kinda like that.  Because I'm trying to make my dh happy, I'm trying to explore colors other than the yellow though, but I'm just not finding anything else I like to go with all the wood and tie in nicely with the green dining room.  

I love blues also, but to me blue says bathroom, laundry room or bedroom.  Just can't reconcile it to a kitchen.  

Slow green is two shades lighter on the sherwin Williams paint chip card. Also an ecru or medium antique gold would look great. If you are super daring, a purple tone would be my first choice. And even the right blue would work.

Your green, restful, is a perfect neutral color that will go with a great deal. What does the backsplash look like?

Oh, I like the idea of a purple -- maybe as an accent.  I haven't chosen a backsplash yet.  Right now the kitchen is empty.  We decided to move the kitchen to the former dining room area and move the dining room to the living room area.  The house was a foreclosure in pretty bad shape so we're redoing everything.  

When we remodeled, we have some cabinets in a wood stain and some are green. Our dining room is two toned green (Wainscotting) darker on the bottom.  I painted the kitchen wall ( there is only one that required paint) and adjoining hallways some kind of beigey taupey color.  I still love it 5 years later. 

Counter tops are beige and tiled backsplash is off white.

Restful is in Sherwin Williams' "Coastal Cool" collection. You can search on the site for the other colors in it, which would all go well with Restful. This link may or may not work... http://www.sherwin-williams.com/search/?Ntt=Coastal+cool&allColors=true

Watery is a lovely, soft teal/aqua. It would be gorgeous with wood tones. My kitchen/dining/family room is Comfort Gray, which is a soft aqua/gray/green that changes with the light. Love it!!! My bathroom ceiling is Sea Salt, and one of my friends just painted her kitchen with it. It's really pretty too, but maybe too green next to Restful.

Lemongrass might work for your grayish yellow. If it's too dark, try a sample at 75% or less. Lowe's has the cheapest samples around me (and will match other brand's colors, just have the SW number code. I don't prefer their paint, but who cares for samples!). SW stopped doing them and only has quarts!

Have you seen this site? Chip It. You upload a photo and it pulls up a palette of colors.  We don't even own a home and I fooled around with it for 15 minutes.  So cool.  Maybe you could take a picture of the cabinets, the green, the cabinets and maybe some rugs or towels that you think you'll be using in the room and see what it pulls up for you.

My first thought was a yellowish/beige tone.  The ones suggested are great.  I painted my laundry room a brighter yellow and love it.  It would be too bright for your kitchen most likely but for that small windowless room it is a nice pop of color.