Menu

VaHomeschoolers conference

momto10blessings

I've been, and love it.  I don't attend HEAV, so can't compare the two, but have always enjoyed VA Homeschoolers.  Great conference, usually great speakers and a good experience.

Envious of any one going this year, our schedule conflicted this year!

I've been, and love it. I don't attend HEAV, so can't compare the two, but have always enjoyed VA Homeschoolers. Great conference, usually great speakers and a good experience.

Envious of any one going this year, our schedule conflicted this year!

Do you think it's worth $93 for both days? It seems really high to me

I've always felt it was money well spent.  

Again, though, I have no comparison, if you're looking for a comparison to HEAV - I've never attended HEAV, and likely would not, as based on what I've heard in the past - I think VA Homeschoolers is a better fit for our family.  But I do know that DH has always attended with me, and enjoyed it.  So that's 2 opinions, FWIW.  :)

I'm disappointed that we won't be there this year, and wouldn't hesitate to pay the fee if we could schedule it.  

The VA Homeschoolers conference has always been smaller.  I went to my first one 5 years ago - it was in the Science Museum of VA, in Richmond, and then it moved a bit north of town to the arts center.  

The price has actually gone up in recent years, I think - but its an all-volunteer organization.  I think they pay a lobbyist (for things like the Tebow bill they've been working on), but I suspect the higher cost is to cover 2 big-name speakers this year.  

HEAV has always been in Richmond.  The Northern Virginia Homeschool Conference and National IHM Catholic Conference used to both meet at the Dulles Expo Center.  The Northern Virginia Conference is no more (the people behind it went on to other things), and the IHM Conference now meets in Fredericksburg.

We loved it last year. It was worth every penny.

We actually decided we are driving up from Florida to attend this year, partly to visit friends and partly to hear SWB. There aren't any good secular conferences down here.

We went to HEAV two years ago. It was huge and the shopping was great. But, we aren't Christian, so a lot of it just didn't apply. I loved that the VAHomeschool conference was just focused on education and it was small enough that we actually made friends. 

Wow, sounds like everyone has glowing reviews.

Anyone know if my dh has to pay extra, or is the $103 for a couple?

Thx

He does have to pay (as NotSoObvious noted) if he wants to attend the sessions. My dh is tagging along. We actually went ahead and joined VaHomeschoolers, even though we live in NC. Even factoring in the $29 membership, it saved us about $50. And there turned out to be some perks like access to The Happy Scientist and VaH's magazine, which I didn't expect. Win/win!

I'm going! It's my first time, but when I saw SWB was speaking I decided to try and make it happen. Thankfully we have family in the area who I can stay with so no hotel but I am excited. I went to HEAV one year and was just overwhelmed the first day and the second day got fed up when I couldn't find parking so I felt it was a waste. Hope to see some of you there!

The only thing I was disappointed in is that by the time I signed up there were several sessions I really wanted to see that I couldn't register for. I wonder if you can wait and see if there's room in there or if you really have to follow what's on your schedule. Heck I don't even mind standing in the back!