Menu

Beast Academy 3, prior to 3rd grade Singapore?

sweetpea3829

Can Beast Academy 3 be started prior to a student starting actual 3rd grade math?  

DS7 is completing Singapore 2 and while we had considered moving him right along into Singapore 3, there have been some things that he has done and said that give me pause.  None related to his math ability.  I am confident he could complete both levels of Singapore 3 by the end of summer.  Its more of a maturity issue.

So I'm thinking of Beast Academy.  Something for him to do between now and September...mostly self-directed (with help when he needs it).  I showed him the samples and he was quite interested.  

Is it better to use Beast Academy a grade below their current level?  Or is he likely to be fine with starting their 3A level now?

It varies some by topic but so far I'd say BA runs maybe half grade ahead of Singapore. We've done all of BA3 and are working on 4. BA is also challenging in a puzzling sort of way so I guess I'd say use it concurrent with SM by grade if you have a puzzle loving kid who doesn't get frustrated easily but otherwise I'd be tempted to use it a half grade behind.

It varies some by topic but so far I'd say BA runs maybe half grade ahead of Singapore. We've done all of BA3 and are working on 4. BA is also challenging in a puzzling sort of way so I guess I'd say use it concurrent with SM by grade if you have a puzzle loving kid who doesn't get frustrated easily but otherwise I'd be tempted to use it a half grade behind.

Darn.  And of course they don't have level 2 out yet.  That would have been perfect, lol.  

So we're finishing up 2nd grade math, and we've successfully started BA.  We're working through the last bits of MM2 (subtraction w/ regrouping in 3 digits, multiplication) and we've finished the first section of BA.  It was fine - it's geometry, so it's pretty different from most of what you are doing in 2nd grade.  But the Geometry section in MM2 was perfectly adequate prep.  My kid has pretty well mastered addition and subtraction and is chomping to start multiplication, so I think the next chapter (skip counting) will be fine too.  Then the third chapter in BA 3A is perimeter and area, and I'm pretty sure we'll finish that before the end of "official 2nd grade" too.  I'm asking myself whether to go ahead and start 3B in 2nd grade, or whether to do something else to stall and start 3B in 3rd.

So I'm thinking our situation is fairly analagous to yours?  And we're fine so far. . . . hopefully I haven't just jinxed the whole deal!  :lol:

So we're finishing up 2nd grade math, and we've successfully started BA. We're working through the last bits of MM2 (subtraction w/ regrouping in 3 digits, multiplication) and we've finished the first section of BA. It was fine - it's geometry, so it's pretty different from most of what you are doing in 2nd grade. But the Geometry section in MM2 was perfectly adequate prep. My kid has pretty well mastered addition and subtraction and is chomping to start multiplication, so I think the next chapter (skip counting) will be fine too. Then the third chapter in BA 3A is perimeter and area, and I'm pretty sure we'll finish that before the end of "official 2nd grade" too. I'm asking myself whether to go ahead and start 3B in 2nd grade, or whether to do something else to stall and start 3B in 3rd.

So I'm thinking our situation is fairly analagous to yours? And we're fine so far. . . . hopefully I haven't just jinxed the whole deal! :lol:

Honestly, I think you will be much better of starting BA 3B! It has a really, really cool way of presenting multiplication. It is done through lots of pattern recognition and observation rather than 'only' teaching it as a series of facts. My dd is really pretty strong on multiplication facts and she really enjoyed the chapter. And the rest of 3B just builds on multiplication practice. I really like how perfect squares are presented just after multiplication. This makes perfect sense to me. The last chapter of 3B, we haven't done yet, but is just distributive property. So still working on multiplication.

Of course, Singapore 3A has other things in it as well, but much of it is just 2B with larger numbers:) if you do BA 3B first, and not concurrently (which is nice for us) I think you will find that Singapore 3 is going to go very smoothly. At least as long as addition/subtraction facts are solid:)

It's a matter of maturity more than content covered. I think some sections of BA require more stamina than SM, but I wouldn't say one is ahead of another (it's hard to even compare the scope). In fact there are many pages in BA that are ridiculously easy. We opted to finish SM 3B before starting BA only due to my son's age, which in retrospect (who knew this kid had an eye for patterns and shapes), might not have been the best idea. So in short, go for it now. If it's a bit too much, put it aside for couple of months and then return.

Long division might be an issue, or not. I wasn't thrilled with how BA covered.

So we're finishing up 2nd grade math, and we've successfully started BA. We're working through the last bits of MM2 (subtraction w/ regrouping in 3 digits, multiplication) and we've finished the first section of BA. It was fine - it's geometry, so it's pretty different from most of what you are doing in 2nd grade. But the Geometry section in MM2 was perfectly adequate prep. My kid has pretty well mastered addition and subtraction and is chomping to start multiplication, so I think the next chapter (skip counting) will be fine too. Then the third chapter in BA 3A is perimeter and area, and I'm pretty sure we'll finish that before the end of "official 2nd grade" too. I'm asking myself whether to go ahead and start 3B in 2nd grade, or whether to do something else to stall and start 3B in 3rd.

So I'm thinking our situation is fairly analagous to yours? And we're fine so far. . . . hopefully I haven't just jinxed the whole deal! :lol:

We're chomping at the bit for BA, and I wondered if I could start it concurrent with MM2 at some point. After looking through the samples, my analysis was the same as yours.

Long division might be an issue, or not. I wasn't thrilled with how BA covered.

Ooh! Please elaborate, if you will:)

My dd has been begging to learn long division after I did a couple of problems when she asked some questions about how to divide when it didn't 'fit right', lol. I really, really don't wanna right now because I was hoping to save it to entice her when we get to Singapore 4. I thought I could just give her the BA chapter on it and let her give it a go if she really wanted it badly enough, then cover it officially later... maybe I had better investigate a bit further:)

Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet, lol.  I think he'll be ok with it.  Its not really so much the content, honestly...the kid is solid in math and he just absorbs the concepts so easily.

Its more a mind set for him.  Its hard to explain...but I think with Beast Academy being structured the way it is, I think he'll do better than he would with a straight on math curriculum like Singapore.  He'll still get Singapore this fall...but in the meantime, I think Beast Academy will be "fun" for him.  

Ooh! Please elaborate, if you will:)

My dd has been begging to learn long division after I did a couple of problems when she asked some questions about how to divide when it didn't 'fit right', lol. I really, really don't wanna right now because I was hoping to save it to entice her when we get to Singapore 4. I thought I could just give her the BA chapter on it and let her give it a go if she really wanted it badly enough, then cover it officially later... maybe I had better investigate a bit further:)

Do division in BA. If it's not enough or if it's confusing, only then turn to something else. My kids knew long division before BA (SM3 covers it), so it's harder for me to judge, but I remember wondering if it was enough practice for kids seeing it the first time.

It's hard to go wrong with BA. :)

I used BA 3A and part of 3B after my child had completed MEP's year 2. At this point, my child had studied the times table but recall was sort of unpredictable; we used BA as an opportunity to memorize it. There was fair amount of material that had already been covered in MEP year 2. However, I found BA 3A much more challenging and unique than 3B. I think, as long as the student is intellectually curious, particularly the first chapter did not require a particular background, aside from the capacity for challenging and logical thinking. Not so much of specific knowledge was required. The geometric applications are unique. I decided not to use it anymore, and my child initially found it fun but ultimately perceived it as a boring "drill" program, which amused me. (We are back to MEP.) So because of that overlap, I think you could successfully switch to BA with a logically strong student.

My 7 year old started BA3A while working through CLE200. We were in the second or third LU when we started. The only thing he didn't have from the pre-assessment was subtraction with regrouping, so we did that from MM2 in a few days. We're about halfway through 3B now, and it's been fine. I don't think going through Singapore 3 is necessary first. Yes, BA goes deeper than Singapore, but the topics themselves start at a lower level.

That's what I notice - it starts at a very basic level, but then ramps up fast.  So I can see starting with BA, but then if she gets lost along the ramp, looking for something else to help bridge the gap (if that's necessary).

I notice with the first chapter of BA 3A,it is strongly oriented to visuospatiallly oriented people.  (which I am not!!!) it must be a breath of fresh air if your kid looks at things that way.  Mine doesn't, particularly, but I appreciate the exercises in logical thinking, for sure. 

We took a weird path to BA, and we've taken a weird one out of it.

We had dabbled a bit with RS B and C but not fully committing to it. We weren't fans of Singapore or MM because they felt too workbooky. We did do Hands on Equations, games, etc. In fact, right before we moved to BA, we had done about 7 or 8 months of mostly just living math. DD had an incredibly deep conceptual understanding about math but had slow computational skills that made her lose her mind when we started facing lots of operational problems. So, we stepped away completely and truly just enjoyed math for that full 7-8 months.

BA came out and I thought... huh.. let's try it. She likes comic books. That first chapter nearly killed me because I am really not a geometry girl, but DH is a geometry guy. After that, DD and I settled in, and wow. I can't even tell you what BA did for us. It was like we had unearthed the holy grail of math for her. She just got how they explained things. This isn't to say that she figured out every problem quickly or easily. Some was, but some was a bit grueling, and she loved it! It was the exact amount of practice and variety for her. I honestly dragged it out so long, continually mixing it in with more living math because I didn't want it to end. We were both seriously sad when we finished 4A.

As we waited for 4B, I moved ahead on our own a bit. We did a bunch with decimals and some with percentages. Did some Danica McKellor stuff. Did some Key to... Did more games and living math. Worked with Simply Charlotte Mason Business Math. I have the blue series for MM, but neither of us could stand it. We finally looked at Singapore again at the local homeschool store, and she decided she was willing to try it. I looked over the scope and sequence in 4a/b and 5a/b and decided to go with 5a/b.

We started a couple of weeks ago, and, honestly, she's progressing very quickly. She had to remember the stuff from BA, but once she did, she moved quickly.

I don't even know what my point was. I guess it's that you know your child best. Some people would look at our math progression and think I was out of my mind with all these seemingly random supplements and living math. Not much "real" curricula. It looks like we make these giant leaps and skips, and I guess we do, but that's how she thinks. She needs all the different perspectives about a topic and then BOOM! She gets it totally and fully and is ready to move on.

Has anyone heard a current update as to when Beast 2 and the rest are coming out? I signed up for the email updates but haven't gotten one yet.

2 won't be out until after they finish 5, and since we're still waiting on 4B (and C and D), I wouldn't hold your breath about 2 coming out anytime soon.

2 won't be out until after they finish 5, and since we're still waiting on 4B (and C and D), I wouldn't hold your breath about 2 coming out anytime soon.

I thought they were going to do the rest of 4, and then level 2, and THEN level 5?

It would be fantastic if they'd do 4, 5 and then 2...makes more sense than having level 3 and 4 done, starting 2 while making kids that have finished 3 and 4 wait for 5.  

Has anyone heard a current update as to when Beast 2 and the rest are coming out? I signed up for the email updates but haven't gotten one yet.

Their last facebook update stated they were hoping 4B would be released by late February, early March.  They posted a comment on a question stating it was sent to the publisher in late February.  So hopefully 4B will be out very soon and they will follow quickly with the rest of 4.  

That's what I notice - it starts at a very basic level, but then ramps up fast.  So I can see starting with BA, but then if she gets lost along the ramp, looking for something else to help bridge the gap (if that's necessary).

I notice with the first chapter of BA 3A,it is strongly oriented to visuospatiallly oriented people.  (which I am not!!!) it must be a breath of fresh air if your kid looks at things that way.  Mine doesn't, particularly, but I appreciate the exercises in logical thinking, for sure. 

My son has always been strong in this area, while my DD8 has significant weaknesses in visuo-spatial areas.  It would be so excellent if BA could be a source of skill work for her.  

Logical thinking is something we focus on quite a bit...for him because I want him to sharpen those skills.  For her, because I want her to attain those skills, lol.  

My son has always been strong in this area, while my DD8 has significant weaknesses in visuo-spatial areas.  It would be so excellent if BA could be a source of skill work for her.  

Logical thinking is something we focus on quite a bit...for him because I want him to sharpen those skills.  For her, because I want her to attain those skills, lol.  

I thought they were going to do the rest of 4, and then level 2, and THEN level 5?

They originally said 3, 4, 5, then 2. Here's what it says currently on their About Us page:

"Guide and Practice books 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, and 4A are now available in the bookstore. We expect to release the rest of the 4th Grade curriculum for Beast Academy in 2013/2014, followed by 5th grade then 2nd grade."

:)

They originally said 3, 4, 5, then 2. Here's what it says currently on their About Us page:

"Guide and Practice books 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, and 4A are now available in the bookstore. We expect to release the rest of the 4th Grade curriculum for Beast Academy in 2013/2014, followed by 5th grade then 2nd grade."

:)

I think I totally misread it then, lol.  I'm glad I was wrong because it really didn't make sense to do 3, 4 and then 2 and THEN 5!  

My oldest finished Singapore 2 and jumped into BA without much hiccup. We've taken more time with some topics than others and paused to really get multiplication facts down. She's in 3C now and absolutely LOVING the variable problems. My son is slated to finish Singapore 2 and he'll move right into Beast in the fall.

I think segueing from SM 2 to BA 3 is perfect.