Menu

SAT Accommodations

I'm filling out the paperwork for SAT accommodations. I would like to include a list of accommodations that I do for him here at home. In reading posts others have made on this, I see that many people have included a document that shows this information. I don't really know where to start with this and would love to see a document or two that I can use as a sample. Anyone willing to share? 

FWIW, I've seen sample 504 plans and sample IEP's and don't want to write up anything that extensive if at all  possible. 

Thanks

Hopefully some else knows the details.  I have heard that they don't necessarily grant accommodations, so you need to make sure they have what you need.

Different test, but I went through this several years ago with the National Latin Exam, and at the very least they wanted a 1-page letter from a licensed educational psychologist  or similar professional (not the parent).  The family I was working with didn't have that, and I had to administer under standard conditions for that student.

We've done this so far w/ two of our kiddos.  I completed their forms, attached all evals I had on the children and my accommodation plan I write each year.

My accommodation plan is very simple -- I list the child's name, school year, a brief description of the disability and then list accommodations like so:

1.  Due to slower processing speed Suzy will be allowed extended time for all exams and in-class assignments.

2.  Due to fine-motor skills deficits and Dysgraphia Suzy will utilize a computer to compose all written work or will dicate her work.

3.  Suzy will be provided extended time on standardized tests.

4.  Due to difficulty with tracking and copying Suzy will circle her answers on the test booklet and will not be required to complete scan-tron/bubble test sheets.

They told us 3 years ago that they wanted to see a history of the accommodations being provided in the "classroom" setting or for standardized testing.  Then this past year they told me that really what  they want to know for the most part is that the individual who performed the evaluation found the dc to have disability x and that they recommended accommodations of a, b, c. 

Be persistent and if they turn you down follow up.  They actually denied dd;s twice this year - when they had approved it a few years ago -- on my follow up after the 2nd denial the lady on the phone kept telling me I didn't include information to verify the diagnosis as being current and the accommodations needed.  I ask if she had a copy of dd's file in front of her and walked her through it.  Her reply, "well we don't have time to read all the material submitted.  I'll send this back and indicate on the front that the documentation is here."  In less than 48 hours I had an e-mail confirming dd's accommodations!

Be persistent and if they turn you down follow up.  They actually denied dd;s twice this year - when they had approved it a few years ago -- on my follow up after the 2nd denial the lady on the phone kept telling me I didn't include information to verify the diagnosis as being current and the accommodations needed.  I ask if she had a copy of dd's file in front of her and walked her through it.  Her reply, "well we don't have time to read all the material submitted.  I'll send this back and indicate on the front that the documentation is here."  In less than 48 hours I had an e-mail confirming dd's accommodations!

Thanks for this info - would you mind if I sent you the letter I wrote today for you to take a look at it? Also, from what I read on the College Board site, the approval only has to be done once. Do they have an expiration date, then? I know the testing info that we have is current enough & I'll include that as well. Scary that they don't take the time to read all of the information sent to them! 

I believe that they are good for the time you're in high school.  I think bec dd had originally been approved in middle school we had to complete the process again.  There are also some disabilities that have to be re-verified each year. 

I don't mind taking a look at what you have. 

• 3 weeks later...

We've done this so far w/ two of our kiddos.  I completed their forms, attached all evals I had on the children and my accommodation plan I write each year.

My accommodation plan is very simple -- I list the child's name, school year, a brief description of the disability and then list accommodations like so:

1.  Due to slower processing speed Suzy will be allowed extended time for all exams and in-class assignments.

2.  Due to fine-motor skills deficits and Dysgraphia Suzy will utilize a computer to compose all written work or will dicate her work.

3.  Suzy will be provided extended time on standardized tests.

4.  Due to difficulty with tracking and copying Suzy will circle her answers on the test booklet and will not be required to complete scan-tron/bubble test sheets.

They told us 3 years ago that they wanted to see a history of the accommodations being provided in the "classroom" setting or for standardized testing.  Then this past year they told me that really what  they want to know for the most part is that the individual who performed the evaluation found the dc to have disability x and that they recommended accommodations of a, b, c. 

Could I clarify that you did not have an "official" IEP or 504 and you were still granted the accommodations for the testing? I do many of the same things you do to accodomate my sons struggles but we don't have any official Dr. diaganosis to prove he has auditory processing issues or dyslexia for example. Thanks for your help.

Angie

(Home4fun)

Could I clarify that you did not have an "official" IEP or 504 and you were still granted the accommodations for the testing? I do many of the same things you do to accodomate my sons struggles but we don't have any official Dr. diaganosis to prove he has auditory processing issues or dyslexia for example. Thanks for your help.

Angie

(Home4fun)

They want an official evaluation and diagnosis, especially where the child does not have an IEP or 504 plan.  The College Board can be very persnickety about granting (or not granting) accommodations.  Generally speaking, they want a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation that is less than three years old in order to grant accommodations based upon current disability and need.  Even if you have that, it doesn't mean they'll grant the accommdations... They turned my DS down for accommodations even though he had a lot of documentation and a current neuropsych evaluation clearly stating he needed undstracted testing.  The College Board unilaterally decided DS' disabilities didn't impact him "enough" because he had good achievement scores... He got those scores WITH accommodations!! DUH!  Unfortunately, writing a letter with no other documentation is highly unlikely to result in accommodations.

They want an official evaluation and diagnosis, especially where the child does not have an IEP or 504 plan. The College Board can be very persnickety about granting (or not granting) accommodations. Generally speaking, they want a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation that is less than three years old in order to grant accommodations based upon current disability and need. Even if you have that, it doesn't mean they'll grant the accommdations... They turned my DS down for accommodations even though he had a lot of documentation and a current neuropsych evaluation clearly stating he needed undstracted testing. The College Board unilaterally decided DS' disabilities didn't impact him "enough" because he had good achievement scores... He got those scores WITH accommodations!! DUH! Unfortunately, writing a letter with no other documentation is highly unlikely to result in accommodations.

In our school system, a number of parents try to get IEPs around 9th grade, specifically for the SAT. Does not usually work. But for kids with long term IEPs, the school advises not to drop them, even if student has improved. The accommodations are NOT easy to get.

Angie

(Home4fun)

Correct, for dd and middle ds they have never had "official' IEP's or 504 in terms of coming from the public school system.  I have however, written my plans  - I believe I recall reading on HSLDA or in some of their literature at one point that they recommended doing that - each year documenting what accommodations they will be allowed or if we are using special curriculum to address areas of weakness or remediation.  They College Board and ACT will require a formal diagnosis.  Our kids had evals beginning in early elementary school and then we did re-evals every 3 - 3.5 years just like the public schools.  Without a formal diagnosis documenting appropriate testing instruments, results, and recommendations they won't even consider accommodations.  Both the College Board for SAT and the ACT turned down dd -- I thought that perhaps I hadn't included enough info so I sent copies of the full evals all the way from Elementary and then asked the Neuropsych that did her last eval to write a letter -- they still turned her down.  On the third attempt I phoned them and walked them through the information I had sent and that's when I was told they don't have time to go through and read all the material submitted, but since I had walked them through it and they saw that the info and need for accommodation was there they would grant the request.  For middle ds it went through the first time -- don't ask me why.

For the College Board, I just filled in the form and attached our documentation from my son's evaluation which said exactly which accommodations he needed.  On the form, I indicated those same accommodations.  I didn't write a letter and I didn't attach any 504/accommodations plan paperwork. 

The ACT was a little different.  For that one, I also filled in the form and attached the evaluation docs, but I also attached evidence of his 504 plan when he was enrolled in a public school program several years ago and the accommodations plan he had at a private school that he was enrolled in for a year.  Then I wrote a letter that summarized the accommodations he had received as a homeschooler, at the public school, at the private school, and his current accommodations at the CC.

He received the accommodations with no problems.  For the College Board, we had asked for double time and they granted time and a half.  We decided to ask for time and a half from the ACT people because asking for double time makes things quite a bit more complicated with them.

Tagging onto this thread and hoping for some advice. I have to make decisions soon about parent partnership programs through the public school for next year. The ONLY reason I would do a parent partnership is to receive a 504 plan for the purposes of future College Board accommodations. It would involve weekly classes for 2 hrs per week that are essentially a waste of our time and monthly paperwork for me to fill out. Would you consider this arrangement to get the 504 for future testing accommodations if you had to do it all again? We already have formal diagnosis paperwork from the neuropsych and plan to re-eval in middle school. Would you trade off 3 hrs a week of school time or no?

I did the parent partnership program thing with the classes two days per week and the monthly paperwork/meetings in order to have an official 504 plan in place.  In the end, the 504 plan made no difference for the College Board accommodations (though it might have if he had been denied) and might have made a difference for the ACT accommodations.  We had rock-solid documentation from his evaluators, which helped immensely.

I would do it again.  And my son enjoyed the time with the other kids in the classes, which was a bonus. 

I think part of my considerations are that this year I have been able to make some good connections and put together our own small classes with professors and other scientist parents outside the system. I'm not sure if I have more time to devote to classes and we are getting a lot out of our current experiences so I don't want to drop any of these. It is a tough call.

FairProspects, I wouldn't give up high quality instruction/enrichment through private arrangement just to participate in a program for the sake of having "government approved" documentation of the use of 504 accommodations during the elementary years. You have the documentation you need to establish a "history" of a disability. Doing a re-eval during middle school will provide a data set at a later point on the developmental timeline. Here are two things you might do:

1) if any accommodations are being provided during private instructional time, consider asking the instructor to provide a short letter which describes those accommodations. You can add that to the file for use at a later time, if necessary.

2) When you do get that re-eval during middle school, request that the evaluator note in the report that parent reports she is providing accommodations x,y,z during home instruction. Having this noted in one of our reports was probably helpful to our case, since we had no other documentation that certain accommodations had been provided through the years. 

As I have noted before, I didn't end up filing the College Board paperwork myself because my son enrolled in a charter school and the school filed it. However, he only received his formal eligibility determination a few weeks before the College Board paperwork was filed, so had not used formal accommodations at school, though he did have some informal support at school plus assistance from an educational therapist for writing skills during that first school year.

Just as EKS mentioned, we also had thorough documentation from multiple sources. All of that documentation was submitted to both the College Board and ACT and our requested accommodations were approved by both organizations.