Menu

Music Appreciation Reccomendations? A big old gap in my education...

Katy

I am so not musical.  I played a couple of instruments in school, but haven't picked one up since then.  The other day I was watching Netflix and in the background I heard a classical song which I knew from a Nickelodeon commercial when I was a child "Loon-ey Toons, You'll find them all on Nick!  Lots of stuff, enough to make you sick..." and I realized I had no idea who the composer was or what the mood of the song was.  This seems like a giant hole in my education, and that of my kids.

What resources do you recommend for me to learn more?  Books?  Youtube channels?  Websites?

Thanks!

My dc and I really enjoyed the Classical Kids Collections of CDs. They are stories with the lives of composers interwoven with their well-known music - sort of musical historical fiction. There's always a child included in the story. They are really enjoyable to listen to, they help you remember the composers' names, and they give some information about the composers' lives and certain important works. Some of the titles include: Beethoven Lives Upstairs, Bach comes to call, Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery, Mozart's Magic Fantasy. They're available through amazon at a pretty good price. 

My dc and I really enjoyed the Classical Kids Collections of CDs. They are stories with the lives of composers interwoven with their well-known music - sort of musical historical fiction. There's always a child included in the story. They are really enjoyable to listen to, they help you remember the composers' names, and they give some information about the composers' lives and certain important works. Some of the titles include: Beethoven Lives Upstairs, Bach comes to call, Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery, Mozart's Magic Fantasy. They're available through amazon at a pretty good price. 

:iagree:

One of the first things I bought in our homeschool journey was the Classical Kids cds, but my kids were young. They didn't watch tv (back then, sigh) and they loved them. They always recognized the music on those cds. They still do, but they're both violinists now, so the body of work they've performed in the zillions of orchestras they're in have broadened their knowledge, but they got a great base of knowledge listening to those cds. They always recalled what they learned about the composers too. I'll never forget taking my then Ker and toddler to a performance for kids and The Magic Flute started and dd whispered to me, "The Magic Flute". She recognized it after only a few notes. I asked how she knew that and she credited those cds. I haven't listened to all of them, but I need to!

Other things, which may be too juvenile or silly* for you and/or your dc, are:

Themes to Remember - juvenile, but you can learn a lot

Beethoven's Wig - silly*, but you remember them! Our public library has these. Lots of samples here.

I believe both TTR and BW have the songs (pieces) w/ and w/o lyrics. 

Young People's Concerts - Leonard Bernstein - meatier, but long and most are in B & W; video, not audio

We got these from Netflix back when we got dvds. I don't know if they're on streaming. Check your library. There are 9 dvds

Discovering Music is often offered at Homeschool Buyers' Co-Op

Classics for Kids has a lot of info

The Composers' Specials  might be too juvenile, but you can learn from these. Check your library.

An Introduction to the Classics ... In Words and Music. Samples included. Lots of composers. (Scroll down.)

Great Courses has lots of info. Check your library for these. Nothing juvenile here!

And lastly, listen to a classical  music. Here are two packed, inexpensive mp3s you can download and play.Check out the samples. If there isn't classical radio station in your area, you can listen to one online. We all enjoy the music so much, but our local station always gives info on the composer and/or the piece, so we keep learning.

*I've seen harsh words on these boards about Beethoven's Wig. Sure, you may never hear The Wedding March again w/o hearing the lyrics, "Wow, what a wedding cake! It stands over six stories high. It took a year to bake, nine months for the icing to dry." Yeah, I know. I get it, I do, but I have witnessed Suzuki violin teachers employ all kinds of silly things to teach a piece, including goofy lyrics (that are never sung, of course). So, I am less judgmental now that I know that. 

Edited several times to put in links.

Second the Classical Kids.  We pick one composer a month and check out a book or two (the Getting to Know the Composer series is great) and do a movie to go with it.  My kids like the Beethoven Lives Upstairs movie and this set which our library has for free.  My younger son really likes Maestro Classics cds as well which pairs classical music with children's stories like Peter and the Wolf (obviously), Carnival of Animals, Casey at the Bat, Tortise and the Hair and Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel (his favorite) and has a track that lets kids "play" along with the music.  Finally, we love the Usborne Introduction to Music for a quick reference on instruments and composers.  We're not an instrument playing kind of family unfortunately, but we've all been trying to learn the recorder together and while I'm not sure we're getting anywhere, it's been a lot of fun :lol:

Exposure is really the key.

The things pp listed are great....my kids love many of those.

IIWY, I would hit the library and see what books and CDs are available.

Once a month, pick a compser or artist. (I think it is as important for my kids to know about the Beatles as it is for them to know about Bach!)

Read a book about the chosen person/group and then play recordings of thier music in the car, while you clean, etc.

(Pandora is awesome for this, BTW)

There are some great ideas here, but may I suggest one more? Go to concerts! If you can't afford to see the pros, see what the local college or even high school has to offer. There may be some operas or ballets being performed in your area as well. My DH teaches music appreciation at the local community college, and students in his class are required to attend at least 2 concerts and write up a report for each. Many of his students had never gone to an opera or an orchestral performance and discovered a new passion. And be sure to teach your children concert etiquette. It seems to be sadly lacking among the general public these days.

Just a funny memory here...When my oldest child was in kindergarten or 1st grade, I took her to see a performance by our professional symphony orchestra that was given for school children. After the concert, I asked her what her favorite instrument was (thinking she would say violin or flute or something). Without giving it a second thought she said, "The triangle!"   :laugh:

I got the Great Courses series that regentrude mentioned after seeing it mentioned here.  It was inexpensive through audible.  Professor Greenburg is really engaging - I love the series.

We do play instruments here, but that is really an aside to our music appreciation. 

We listen to a song every morning, and repeats are infrequent.  We stay with themes for a few days or a week.  It isn't highly planned, but it is intentional.  Once you start on something, youtube will fill up your sidebar with similar suggestions.  Even the non-classical possibilities are endless:  folk songs, protest songs, Ray Charles, tap dancing, Johnny Cash, national anthems...

Winter mornings here are dark, dark, dark.  Some mornings we have had breakfast by candlelight with Anonymous 4  or Sequentia playing in the background. I get these from my library.

The Leonard Bernstein shows listed above are loved.

Last month, we watched Suzie Templeton's short film Peter & The Wolf.  Oh my, what a work of art. It is definitely not only for little kids.  I am not sure how old your kids are, but this version might actually be too scary for little and/or sensitive children.

Once you get started music appreciation can be so so fun :)

(edited to add stuff)

Does anyone know about or have experience with "music4homeschool.wordpress.com/"?  My local high school co-op is hoping to offer a Music Appreciation class to go along with participating in a cantata.  Any information about this program would be appreciated or suggestions for another curriculum.

Thank you.

Seconding the Teaching Company recommendations ("Great Courses").  Their "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music" was very helpful. 

We have the Beethoven's Wig CDs and enjoy them thoroughly. 

However, what's really Getting It Done at our house is the Harmony Fine Arts stuff.  If you get the ebook version you can just click through to YouTube performances (I often use her links, then do a fresh search on youtube to get a version of the piece that is performed live and has video to match).  YouTube is not the best acoustically (the sound is nowhere near the crispness or the reliable bass of a good CD on good speakers) but it is terrific exposure.  Our Ambleside Online inclinations also keep composer study in our thoughts; but the HFA is making it happen. 

Last month, we watched Suzie Templeton's short film Peter & The Wolf.  Oh my, what a work of art. It is definitely not only for little kids.  I am not sure how old your kids are, but this version might actually be too scary for little and/or sensitive children.

I'm watching this for free on Amazon Prime right now. It is beautiful. Thank you for mentioning this. I didn't know about it. 

Yes to the Classical Kids! They ARE pretty fantastic.

And yes to the Beethoven's Wig songs. My sister recently got married, and I was her matron of honor. She chose Purcell's "Trumpet Tune" for our processional. So I walked down, mentally singing, "First came William, then a second William. . . " with each step, to pace myself so I didn't run down the aisle. Hey, it worked! (And it's a good thing we practiced it at the rehearsal, because I was able to warn my children that it was coming, and that they had better not sing. But! They knew the song, and that's what really mattered.)

You might also just get one of those compilation CDs -- "100 Classical Favorites" -- or the like, and just play it in the background or car or whatever. See what the songs make you think of. My kids like applying songs to their favorite movie characters.

I skimmed the posts, so not sure if these have been mentioned.

Those Amazing Musical Instruments, book with cd. Lots of info, well illustrated.

Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers, series of biographies.

ETA you tube is a good way of listening for free. Wiki has free scores available.

Leonard Bernstein Young People's Concerts are both simple and sophisticated, DVDs are in lots of libraries.