Menu

Big Graco Car seat recall

mhaddon

Not sure if it's been posted, but I wanted to share. I was one of the moms that had to CUT my daughter out of her seat this past summer on a day that was over 100 degrees outside. I couldn't get her out and had it latched in. After she was getting to hot and I had everyone in the family try, I had to cut the strap. They were horrible about the whole situation, a friend that knew the story just sent this to me. If you have one please replace it asap! I can't imagine if this had happened when we were in a bad car accident!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/11/graco-recall/5396939/

Not sure if it's been posted, but I wanted to share. I was one of the moms that had to CUT my daughter out of her seat this past summer on a day that was over 100 degrees outside. I couldn't get her out and had it latched in. After she was getting to hot and I had everyone in the family try, I had to cut the strap. They were horrible about the whole situation, a friend that knew the story just sent this to me. If you have one please replace it asap! I can't imagine if this had happened when we were in a bad car accident!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/11/graco-recall/5396939/

THANK YOU!!

We have been having trouble with the buckle on my dd''s seat. I thought it was just really, really tight, and we have plans to replace the seat when we get our new van soon.

Looks like it will be much sooner:)

Forwarding to my friends. 

Recalled models copied from OP's link in case anyone has trouble accessing

"The recalled models include: Cozy Cline; ComfortSport; Classic Ride 50; My Ride 65; My Ride with Safety Surround; My Ride 70; Size4Me 70; Smart Seat; Nautilus; Nautilus Elite; and Argos 70."

From Graco's  website

"Harness Buckle Recall - 2014 Announcement

As part of our continuous product testing and improvement process, Graco identified that food and dried liquids that can make some harness buckles progressively more difficult to open over time or become stuck in the latched position. Therefore, Graco has decided to conduct a voluntary recall on the harness buckles used on all toddler convertible car seats and harnessed booster seats manufactured from 2009 to July 2013. Graco would like to stress this does not in any way affect the performance of the car seat or the effectiveness of the buckle to restrain the child. And a car seat is always the safest way to transport your child.

Graco offers a new and improved replacement harness buckle to affected consumers at no cost. If you are experiencing difficulty with your harness buckle and cleaning has not improved its performance, please contact our Graco customer service team at 800-345-4109 (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.) or consumerservices@gracobaby.com.  "

It's BS about the food. Our Nautilus is only a few months old and ds doesn't eat or drink in it. I've always felt it was a bit difficult to undo (he's 6 and can only do it himself some of the time) but I thought maybe it was us. Guess not!

I agree. My kiddo has never had anything but water in her seat! I think that is a cop out:(

I am sure it wouldn't help if your car seat has been liberally doused with sticky food, but If the buckles are even worse than ours? And it definitely FEELS mechanical, if that makes sense.

Yeah the food thing made me mad. It was a design flaw. I know a lot of my friends have called. After I cut my dd out of the one graco we had to throw it away because they didn't replace what I cut. She had the nerve to tells I should have cut the other part. It was too hard with ER chubby legs! After I complained she did send me a replacement middle buckle for the other graco seat. But after that is expired I'm never buying another graco! Customer service was even bad. And I wasn't mad, I was upset and crying.

We had the same problem with DDs car seat to the point I wouldn't use it and we bought a high back booster (I think that's the right word) for her. I am going to order the replacement buckle and put her back in the 5 point because I know it's safer. I was always worried about getting in an accident and not being able to get her out. And I to call BS about the food, she never ate or drank in that seat so there is no way that could have affected it, and it did it from the day we bought it. 

I knew there was something wrong with that seat!

It doesn't matter for us anymore, because it's just being used as a booster now, but I feel vindicated. There were so many times I couldn't get the straps unbuckled, and I thought I was crazy. Now I know I'm not (at least not for that, anyway!).

We had that issue 2 summers ago...and paid to get a new buckle...so mad to know that it is a design issue but we are out the money regardless...we ended up switching dd to booster sooner than I wanted because of the stupid buckle issue.  But I will be calling for my son's nautilus so hopefully he can stay 5 point longer.