Menu

How common are health problems in GSDs?

AimeeM

We lost our Luke, at not even 4 years old, to some type of genetic pancreatic disorder (or cancer; he declined rapidly, they initially thought he had perianal fistula). When we euthanized him, the comment was made more than once that she (the vet) sees many GSDs with these types of problems - genetic pancreatic diseases/disorders/cancers/etc.

We do hope to get another GSD in the future, but this comment does worry us. As far as we know, none of the other pups from his litter have any problems. Mom and Dad are happily living out their retirement years (retired from breeding after just a couple litters) with their trainer/breeder; brothers and sisters are happy and healthy, the breeder was devastated when we told him about Luke. It doesn't appear to be a breeding issue at all.

We want a dog who can serve a dual purpose - protection and companionship/family pet. Luke was perfect; we'll never find another Luke and we know that, which is why we're waiting... we're afraid we would tend to compare a new dog to our Luke. I'm very partial to GSDs, but can't seem to find any actual stats about HOW FREQUENTLY these problems are found in the breed as a whole. I know what they are prone to, health problem wise, but nothing about the frequency.

Any insight from The Hive?

My sister has always had Gsd. Right now she has two of them Havoc and London.  She had her last one until he was twelve. These two are very healthy. My sisters bf has a gsd. He is very healthy.  There are some health problems in every breed but I don't think that gsd's are any more prone than any other dog.  I think you may have just gotten a dog that was prone to health problems. I am very sorry for your loss. 

I'm sorry for your loss...

We have had 4 registered GSD's and 2 GSD mixes (one was a corgi-shepherd and the other is a shepherd-lab).  All were great dogs.  Our first GSD had hip problems, but lived a long happy life-- he was an AWESOME family dog (he was from backyard breeder).  Our next GSD had a rare genetic issue (kidneys did not develop)-- he died at age 3 (breeder offered us a credit but had switched to breeding only long-haired shepherds-- we live in Texas so declined).  Our next GSD was a solid white (white-german shepherd from white german shepherds).  He was the smartest dog we have ever had.  He died at age 3 of a rare cancer (no specific genetic link). His breeder gave us pick of the next litter.  That guy is now 2 and is one beautiful dog--absolutely stunning.  He has been our first 'frisbee dog' and lives to play.

So we have a mixed record, though the 2 we lost were not due to genetic issues.  Our mixed breeds have also had their issues-- but they have been minor.

I would  not get a GSD that was inbred/linebred.  This means most of the current German lines (there are a few reputable breeders but they are the exception). Those dogs tend to have bad hips and more health issues.  They also tend to be more agressive since they are a bred-down version of the classic shepherd.

After the mistake with our first GSD (backyard breeder) we researched the breeders and fell in love with the classic shepherds.  They are larger, protective of their families and tend to be healthier too (fewer hip issues and cancers).

I expect in the next 5 years we will once again be in the market for another GSD-- probably a classic black and tan...

Most people will say that Americans have ruined the GSD breed, and many will only purchase from documented German lines.  German breeding regulations are pretty strict (all breeding must be registered and approved with a local breed warden...the dogs have to have genetic tests, hip x-rays and earn at least one Shutzhund certification...and then there are still requirements based upon their ratings).  I do think you have to be more careful when purchasing a GSD than some other breeds -- but American Cocker Spaniels used to have lots of problems too, and mine didn't have any genetic issues (no eye or ear problems, no temperament issues, etc).  

I know of two adult males (one with obedience and one with all three Shutzhund training certificates -- certified excellent in obedience, tracking and protection), but they are in Germany (one is 2 yrs, the other is 3). We bought our GSD in Germany through the breed warden (German regulations on breeding are pretty strict -- but there are problems in other European countries).  The breed warden will ship them via the vet-owned pet shipping company.  

Lisa

Sorry for the loss of your pet. BTDT. Wait at least 30 days, possibly 60 days, and then get another dog. Don't compare them. Each one has it's own personality.  Be sure to get another dog!

Our GSD will be 9 years old, I believe, at the end of February. I believe the breed tends to have skin issues  (my wife gives our  GSD an injection of something every month or 2, to help with that) and I believe she puts some kind of cooking oil on the dog food.

A GSD is a "deep chested" breed, so they have more probability of getting Gastric Torsion ("Bloat"), and  they also have a tendency for Hip Dysplasia, and you should get some kind of guarantee from a reputable breeder, that if they cannot pass the xray for their Hips,, that you will be given at least a partial refund. I can't imagine sending a pet I love back to the breeder, because it develops a medical problem, but a refund or partial refund would be nice, if that should happen.

Research on the web site of the GSD Club of America. Again, I am sorry for your loss. We had to have our Samoyed put to sleep, on Chrismas Eve.

Most people will say that Americans have ruined the GSD breed, and many will only purchase from documented German lines.  German breeding regulations are pretty strict (all breeding must be registered and approved with a local breed warden...the dogs have to have genetic tests, hip x-rays and earn at least one Shutzhund certification...and then there are still requirements based upon their ratings).  I do think you have to be more careful when purchasing a GSD than some other breeds -- but American Cocker Spaniels used to have lots of problems too, and mine didn't have any genetic issues (no eye or ear problems, no temperament issues, etc).  

I know of two adult males (one with obedience and one with all three Shutzhund training certificates -- certified excellent in obedience, tracking and protection), but they are in Germany (one is 2 yrs, the other is 3). We bought our GSD in Germany through the breed warden (German regulations on breeding are pretty strict -- but there are problems in other European countries).  The breed warden will ship them via the vet-owned pet shipping company.  

Lisa

My friends bought a German Shepherd from Germany.  Documented lines. Flew him in.  $1000.  He had epilepsy and was not the smartest dog on the planet.  Still, he lived until he was 12 or so.

I don't think there are guarantees (so to speak) regardless of the breed of dog.  Just like people.  Just because Mom and Dad did not have cancer, arthritis, whatever, does not mean Junior won't...

Here is a good overview of the health testing I'd want to see if I were going to purchase a GSD.

Good breeders do those tests.  Not-so-good breeders will give you lots of excuses about why they don't test.

Are these things that are generally tested for in young pups? Do the pups have to be a certain age before they're tested for these?

It's the parents and grandparents -- preferably at least several generations back -- who should have been tested prior to breeding.

Thanks. I do know that Luke's family line was tested (and I believe my husband has documentation about that). This makes me feel better - we were considering buying from one of Luke's sibling's litters. This makes me feel that, as our vet suggested, it may have been a freak thing - possibly not genetic, or nothing breeding related (assuming the other dog involved comes from a tested line as well, I mean).

My GSD was rescued from a neighbor who'd gotten her from a friend, and 'supposedly' her mother was purebred, we have no idea if she was - she was very small.  She was the most amazing dog!  She lived to be 13, with problems her last two years with degenerative mylopathy, which I hear is fairly common in GSD.  

We have had two GSD. One was from a German Schutzhund line, she was hit by a car in the city and we had to put her down. She was a wonderful dog. The other was from a breeder here (my mil and fil had three dogs from this breeder and they were great, great dogs with lives in the 12-13 year range and very few health problems). Ours however was a little too protective and developed an eye problem (can't remember name, but common in high altitude, I think). We put her down at 7. She could not tolerate the reduced vision and was very unhappy.

Our current dog is a corgi. I would love another big dog, but am a bit wary of the breed now.

I'm sorry for your loss...

We have had 4 registered GSD's and 2 GSD mixes (one was a corgi-shepherd and the other is a shepherd-lab).  All were great dogs.  Our first GSD had hip problems, but lived a long happy life-- he was an AWESOME family dog (he was from backyard breeder).  Our next GSD had a rare genetic issue (kidneys did not develop)-- he died at age 3 (breeder offered us a credit but had switched to breeding only long-haired shepherds-- we live in Texas so declined).  Our next GSD was a solid white (white-german shepherd from white german shepherds).  He was the smartest dog we have ever had.  He died at age 3 of a rare cancer (no specific genetic link). His breeder gave us pick of the next litter.  That guy is now 2 and is one beautiful dog--absolutely stunning.  He has been our first 'frisbee dog' and lives to play.

So we have a mixed record, though the 2 we lost were not due to genetic issues.  Our mixed breeds have also had their issues-- but they have been minor.

I would  not get a GSD that was inbred/linebred.  This means most of the current German lines (there are a few reputable breeders but they are the exception). Those dogs tend to have bad hips and more health issues.  They also tend to be more agressive since they are a bred-down version of the classic shepherd.

After the mistake with our first GSD (backyard breeder) we researched the breeders and fell in love with the classic shepherds.  They are larger, protective of their families and tend to be healthier too (fewer hip issues and cancers).

I expect in the next 5 years we will once again be in the market for another GSD-- probably a classic black and tan...

Lisa

:iagree: We will never be without a well-bred GSD-they are the BEST family dogs.  However, you must buy from a reputable breeder.  They may be expensive, but IMO are totally worth it.

:iagree: We will never be without a well-bred GSD-they are the BEST family dogs.  However, you must buy from a reputable breeder.  They may be expensive, but IMO are totally worth it.

How do I find who is reputable and who isn't? What is the going rate for a GSD from a reputable breeder (I'm trying to see if what we paid is normal, or too low for a reputable breeder)?

Each breed has it's own set of potential problems if that helps you feel any better. Some are worse than others. If you were looking for a Golden Retreiver, I'd tell you to check out the Golden Retreiver forum. Maybe there's something like that for a GSD?

From there I'd agree with Pawz4Me as far as testing is concerned. I tend to think that finding a reputale breeder can be difficult. Generally speaking, you have to read between the lines. Reputable breeders will let you see where the dogs are kept and won't maintain super private Facebook pages in order to hide from criticism. They also won't give you lengthy purchase contracts that detail exactly what you must feed the dog and prohibit standard vaccinations in order for their guarantee to be valid.