Menu

How much do you incorporate YouTube into your lessons?

veritas

YouTube has a ton of educational/highbrow documentaries, movies, talks, lectures, debates, etc. It is truly amazing.

I was wondering if anyone here frequently incorporates any of that into the homeschooling/self-education lessons?

If so, what types of programs do you include, and how often?

I often search there first for a science or history video for DS10. I found lots of clips on middle ages, physics, etc. I made a blog (private) for each kid and embed any videos I want then to watch there, so they are not wondering around youtube. And of course I preview if I am unsure what it is about exactly.

There are a bunch of math trick videos as well on youtube. (the poster is named: MisterNumbers)

They also watch Design Squad from PBS on there.

We haven't used longer you tube much. It simply takes too long to find and check out, plus there is so much at Netflix, Amazon, and public library.

However, we do use you tube for short clips. For example, dd was reading a brief passage about armadillos, and she was not familiar with them. So a few brief clips remedied that. I tend to use an iPad for the quick videos, just because it intrudes less on a lesson than a tv, IMO.

We use it all of the time. We have a computer in our schoolroom and a tablet that is pretty much YT central. I will say that YT can be a difficult and confusing place for some and it is definitely not a resource that I allow my kids to use without me in the room.

There are tons of great things on YouTube though. Documentaries, old movies, audiobooks, ballets, kids shows, educational videos...

Just check the link in my sig for some ideas. ;)