Menu

Any idea why computer speakers would suddenly stop working?

Mine do that occasionally. I don't know what causes it. Usually turn everything completely off and restart. The times that doesn't work I fiddle with all the sound settings (there are quite a few) until I get something. Sorry that isn't very helpful.

Sometimes there doesn't seem to be an explanation, does there? I did turn off and restart, to no avail. Bother.

I am at work so I can't see how to do this step by step on my system but I may be able to give you enough information to try something.

Go into control panel, then into your speaker icon. When you click on the speaker icon, it should bring up a new box of windows (if you don't get this new box by clicking left clicking, try right clicking and the choose properties). In one of the tabs of the new box, there maybe a little box you can check that says "restore to factory defalts" or something similar. Click the box, apply, and then restart the computer.

I kid you not, dh has been trying to figure out how to fix ours all day. The only difference is that our speakers aren't in the monitor, they are external speakers. And what's odd is that they work for everything BUT what's on the Internet. When we run the speaker test, they work fine. If we try to play a video, or listen to music, they don't work. It just started a couple of days ago out of the blue.

Hope you find the solution to your problem, and if anyone wants to take a stab at what's wrong with ours, that would be wonderful, too!

No, it's not the sound card because there is sound for *non* Internet things. We did do system restore and that didn't change anything.

We just switched out the speakers on the computer we were having the problems with, with the speakers on the kids' computer. The speakers work fine, and dh is in the process of checking the "bad" speakers on the kids' computer now. It's so weird that it's only in relation to the Internet. Oh, well at least these different speakers are working.

Colleen, if you're reading, have you tried a system restore?

This is so frustrating.:confused: The last thing I have time to do right now is deal with computer @(*#$&, but I need to get this straightened out so the sound works by the time we start school. I've tried everything suggested here (short of buying a Mac ~ which isn't perfect either, I might add;)) and am thinking maybe Mrs. Mungo is right and the sound card isn't working. In my case, unlike Janna's, the sound is out for everything.

How would I actually go about figuring out if it's the sound card, though? And if it is, how do I replace that? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?:tongue_smilie:

This is so frustrating.:confused: The last thing I have time to do right now is deal with computer @(*#$&, but I need to get this straightened out so the sound works by the time we start school. I've tried everything suggested here (short of buying a Mac ~ which isn't perfect either, I might add;)) and am thinking maybe Mrs. Mungo is right and the sound card isn't working. In my case, unlike Janna's, the sound is out for everything.

How would I actually go about figuring out if it's the sound card, though? And if it is, how do I replace that? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?:tongue_smilie:

Do you have the drivers for the sound card? They should be on the CDroms that you got when you bought the computer. Alternatively, you can sometimes download drivers from the internet.

Go to your control panel and see if your sound card is showing up. (Well, first go under sounds and audio and see if your speakers are showing a "working" status.) Look under Device Manager, then click on Sounds. It'll read SoundPro 3.4 or RealTek or some such. Usually you can see the status. You might have an "update driver" that you can go online and find.

I'm not sure this will help. You might need Bueller, actually. :tongue_smilie:

You can buy a new sound card at Best Buy or whatever. Write down the make and model of your computer and the employees should be able to figure out what you need. It's then just a matter of opening up your computer, unplugging and pulling out the old one and putting in the new one. It's easier than it sounds. I've had to replace the power supply and the graphics card in my computer and neither was too difficult.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_sound.htm

I just noticed my speakers aren't working ~ out of the blue. Particularly since my some of my guys use the speakers for language acquisition programs/classes, this is an Issue. Any idea what might cause this? Thanks!

Are you by chance running Rosetta Stone version 3 with the USB headphones?

I've found that I have to go to the control panel after using RS in order to change the default speakers back to the the main speakers.