Menu

What do you think of the proposed "Tennessee Promise"?

Pegasus

The Tennessee Governor proposed in his recent State of the State address that we use the large reserve from our lottery scholarship funds to provide the opportunity for every high school graduate in Tennessee to attend a community college or Tennessee college of applied technology (TCAT) free of tuition.

Here's a link to more info:  http://www.driveto55.org/tennessee-promise/

It would have to pass the state legislature first but would go into effect for students graduating high school in 2015.

I am not familiar with the specifics but I am all for expanding access to education while holding down the debt that students graduate from. I like that this includes technical and trade education which for many would prove more secure than a general liberal arts degree.

Oregon is piloting a tuition free program with a small payment plan post graduation based on income for Oregon students. I like that more than relying on lotto funds.

Some of the colleges I was accepted to but didn't attend in part due to concerns about needing student loans past the scholarships and grants now have a debt free graduation program for students who are not affluent enough to pay in full. I was born a little bit too soon!

I've lived near two cities that had something like that. The more years you are enrolled in their school system, the more they pay toward your college tuition (in-state public university). I don't really know how well it is working for them. I think it was to attract people and increase property values. I know people who homeschool who live one of those districts. She said "how bad do the schools have to be if they have to pay people to go there?"

I would rather see some standards kept, and giving more to students who currently qualify for the HOPE scholarship. Expansion of the HOPE to more two year schools and technical programs is fine but WITH academic standards to both get the $ and to continue to keep. The standards for the HOPE really aren't high to begin with... don't want to see the dumbing down of standards for scholarship money.

I don't think these programs dumb down admissions standards. They are about how you pay after acceptance. You still need to apply and be admitted. Most community colleges are was essentially open enrollment but you need to be admitted to your chosen program (ie, nursing or dental hygiene etc).

Also the federal HOPE has been replaced by the American Opportunity Credit.

I don't think these programs dumb down admissions standards. They are about how you pay after acceptance. You still need to apply and be admitted. Most community colleges are was essentially open enrollment but you need to be admitted to your chosen program (ie, nursing or dental hygiene etc).

But it might lead to grade inflation to keep the kids there. Our local community college struggles to keep enough kids enrolled and the programs like cosmetology, auto repair, computer tech, and even general classes are trending towards 'show up and you pass'. That's not helping the students at all, but it does give the school much needed money.  It's frustrating for the students, too, who take some vo-tech classes and make A's and then take the required math or writing class and can't pass it because those classes haven't yet succumbed to grade inflation.  All schools aren't like that but there is the potential to admit kids who aren't really ready in order to fill classes.  

I hope the Tennessee program works but I'm not convinced every kid who graduates from high school should attend college. 

I was referring to the current Tennessee HOPE program. It is an automatic scholarship for TN high school grads as long as they carried a specific gpa in high school and earned at least a 22 on the ACT. If everyone gets the tuition $, then they only need to meet the minimum standards for entry.

I was referring to the current Tennessee HOPE program. It is an automatic scholarship for TN high school grads as long as they carried a specific gpa in high school and earned at least a 22 on the ACT. If everyone gets the tuition $, then they only need to meet the minimum standards for entry.

I understand you now but I am not following how financial access lowers the actual admission standards?

How many community colleges are selective at all for general admit (vs. a program)? Many community college students don't have any ACT score and may not even have a high school diploma.

Note, I am not slamming community college students. I am a community college grad ;). I just don't see what standards there are to lower for general admittance (which usually does not get you into a sought after program.) if someone can pass a basic skills test which is easier than the ACT, they can enroll here.

There's a Promise scholarship program that's being proposed here as well, though it would apply to all colleges.  I went with some other people at one point to lobby that homeschoolers be included and the wording of the legislation was changed, though it hasn't passed yet.

I think anything that can be done is good...  overall, this pace of college tuition growth simply cannot be sustained.  Something has got to give.

I understand you now but I am not following how financial access lowers the actual admission standards?

How many community colleges are selective at all for general admit (vs. a program)? Many community college students don't have any ACT score and may not even have a high school diploma.

Note, I am not slamming community college students. I am a community college grad ;). I just don't see what standards there are to lower for general admittance (which usually does not get you into a sought after program.) if someone can pass a basic skills test which is easier than the ACT, they can enroll here.

Right now, the money goes to students who meet expectations that are higher than the minimum. I would like to see students being required to continue to meet a certain standard to get the money. Admissions should not be the "bar" to get all money needed to attend & continue to attend. I would be okay with a one semester freebie for all admitted but then you must maintain a 3.0 to stay in, along with attendance requirements (as in you need to show up for class at least x% of the time).

Right now, the money goes to students who meet expectations that are higher than the minimum. I would like to see students being required to continue to meet a certain standard to get the money. Admissions should not be the "bar" to get all money needed to attend & continue to attend. I would be okay with a one semester freebie for all admitted but then you must maintain a 3.0 to stay in, along with attendance requirements (as in you need to show up for class at least x% of the time).

I totally agree that students should maintain their GPA as a condition of assistance.

I agree with you on everything but the bolded.  Attendance requirements in college should not be mandatory. Half of the classes I took in college I only showed up to the exams and finals because I was able to teach myself better than the teacher ever could in a lecture setting.  Now if it is a class where participation in the class is necessary(english courses that rely on student discussion/peer editing, science labs, etc.)  but a simply biology course, for example, could easily be passed by simply reading the text. 

I agree with you on everything but the bolded.  Attendance requirements in college should not be mandatory. Half of the classes I took in college I only showed up to the exams and finals because I was able to teach myself better than the teacher ever could in a lecture setting.  Now if it is a class where participation in the class is necessary(english courses that rely on student discussion/peer editing, science labs, etc.)  but a simply biology course, for example, could easily be passed by simply reading the text. 

It should be if the state is GIVING you the money to attend. Since this happens to be my state, it will be part of what I emphasize in my letters to my legislators.

It should be if the state is GIVING you the money to attend. Since this happens to be my state, it will be part of what I emphasize in my letters to my legislators.

So should people who are receiving assistance have a higher standard?  What if the course is, like so many these days, taught online?

Personally, I think attendance should be mandatory when it needs to be.  And not when it isn't.  In other words, up to the institution and the professors, not the legislators.

So should people who are receiving assistance have a higher standard?  What if the course is, like so many these days, taught online?

Personally, I think attendance should be mandatory when it needs to be.  And not when it isn't.  In other words, up to the institution and the professors, not the legislators.

Online classes are a different ball game. I take online classes, dh teaches online classes. There are requirements that count for "attendance". And yes, if you are being given a scholarship, you should have a standard you need to meet in order to keep the scholarship. Currently, in TN, there is the HOPE scholarship, which you get if you have a min. gpa and ACT. You keep getting it if you keep your gpa above a certain standard. It's not that high, around 3.0. It doesn't pay your full tuition but quite a chunk. The new proposal would pay more with less minimum standards. I'm actually glad to see expansion on "what" can be paid for as far as technical schools go but still believe in encouraging people to rise up the challenge of minimum standards.