Menu

Is Apologia Biology considered sub-par for 9th grade, or ok?

I vaguely remember talk yrs ago of it not being adequate-now that I'm at the point of using it, wanted to double check on that.

What is the general thought about Apologia Biology for 9th grade? I don't care if it's the *most* rigorous, but I don't want something on the high school transcript that is known not to be good.

(It may be taught at our co-op, which would make sci a lot easier for me!)

California state universities reportedly don't accept any Apologia books.

More specifically, they do not approve courses taught out of creationist science textbooks as satisfying the a-g requirements. These are (iirc) difficult for homeschoolers to satisfy anyway, and most choose another method of qualifying for admissions.

To some degree, I think it depends on what the future plans of the student are.  I would not use it with a STEM focused student. It has not been updated for quite a while and the focus is not where the focus is in more up-to-date texts (It gives less time to cell bio and genetics, for example). 

That is my personal opinion; I taught Apologia in co-ops for many years, but do not use it any longer.

No doubt it works for many students, though, so your mileage may vary.

hth,

Georgia

To some degree, I think it depends on what the future plans of the student are.  I would not use it with a STEM focused student. It has not been updated for quite a while and the focus is not where the focus is in more up-to-date texts (It gives less time to cell bio and genetics, for example). 

That is my personal opinion; I taught Apologia in co-ops for many years, but do not use it any longer.

No doubt it works for many students, though, so your mileage may vary.

hth,

Georgia

I didn't know this.  Can you suggest some good ones for "possible" STEM focus? 

Thanks!

:)

Hot Lava mama

Since everyone has different experiences, I'll say that my college student (Engineer) used it in 9th grade and was accepted into a competitive college. (Not that I think it's the best Biology text, just that it hasn't put him at a disadvantage.)

My son who majored in Engineering also used Apologia Bio in 9th grade and got into a competitive (private, not state) college. That said, I thought the course was just OK. I used Prentice Hall Bio with the syllabus from Kolbe with my next son, and I liked that course much, much better. It covered more and was deeper in content than Apologia.

JM2Cents,

Brenda

I am planning to use it next year in 10th grade for my teens.  I am having them also do Ellen McHenry's Cells course and they are doing the elementary anatomy and physiology text.  I believe between the 3 things we will cover all we want to cover.  Based on the requirements for grade 11 and 12 biology in my province I believe this combo will prepare them for their diploma exam (taken at end of grade 12 level course to prove material learned to provincial standards, like an exit exam per course).   While McHenry and the A&P courses are not high school level ones I think using them as a supplement to what is being covered in the high school text will be fine, plus I looked at that A&P text and it is pretty meaty for an elementary book.  Here there is no AP or honors classes so I have no need to worry about those. 

I think it also depends on how much this student is going to be excited about sciences. If your student is going to have this be their only biology instruction until a 101 college class, perhaps you might want to reconsider. If the student is a science interested kid, then this isn't the only time they are going to see the information, and it might be just fine as a beginning. As completely panic inducing as high school transcripts are, remember your student is still very young (approximately 14) and a textbook choice will not destroy their lives.

Consider your student. At 14 many of us had a slightly fuzzy idea of what might be interesting to do as an adult, either as a career or a hobby. Let that steer your decision.

I vaguely remember talk yrs ago of it not being adequate-now that I'm at the point of using it, wanted to double check on that.

What is the general thought about Apologia Biology for 9th grade? I don't care if it's the *most* rigorous, but I don't want something on the high school transcript that is known not to be good.

(It may be taught at our co-op, which would make sci a lot easier for me!)

Our experience that you can add in your decision-making:

All of my oldest four used Apologia Biology, 2nd edition.  Some took it in 8th grade, some in 9th.  My oldest took AP bio in 10th and did well.  He and his sister went onto biology and multiple chemistry classes at the university and again did very well.  For my science-minded kids, I viewed Apologia as their first sweep through biology at a high school level.

I've now lost that book and I'm researching what to use with my 5th child.  If I still had it, I would definitely use it!  

Lisa

My guys did just fine using Apologia as a first Bio text in 9th grade.  Middle son then used Campbell's Biology junior year to do an AP level class.  Then we had our school's text that we could also supplement with - Glencoe.  The school's text was the least in depth and not useful for much TBH.  Mine liked that Apologia and Campbell came at things from different perspectives (and I'm not talking creation/evolution, but rather taxonomy vs cellular, etc).  They felt like they got the whole package that way.

Middle son goes to a Top 30 research U and feels the combo of the two (including Apologia's Advanced Bio which is really Anatomy & Physiology) helped him be super prepared for his U classes.  He doesn't regret a thing - but neither would have been as good on their own in his opinion.

I didn't know this.  Can you suggest some good ones for "possible" STEM focus? 

Thanks!

:)

Hot Lava mama

I would look at this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/468303-homeschool-high-school-biology/?hl=%2Bdicentra&do=findComment&comment=5456307 for the scoop.

I personally like Prentice Hall for an intro class. It is straightforward but doesn't skimp on the topics they are going to need for that Bio 101 class in college.

hth,

Georgia

I would look at this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/468303-homeschool-high-school-biology/?hl=%2Bdicentra&do=findComment&comment=5456307 for the scoop.

I personally like Prentice Hall for an intro class. It is straightforward but doesn't skimp on the topics they are going to need for that Bio 101 class in college.

hth,

Georgia

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone-she is *very* tentatively thinking nursing or physical therapy. I had planned the Apologia to be the only high school bio, but maybe if she sticks with either of those for career, the progression should be something like Apologia Bio, Chem, Physics, and then for senior year, a more in-depth (AP?) Bio, or maybe Anatomy and Physiology? I haven't even thought about high school science yet and have NO clue what I'm doing.

Thanks, everyone-she is *very* tentatively thinking nursing or physical therapy. I had planned the Apologia to be the only high school bio, but maybe if she sticks with either of those for career, the progression should be something like Apologia Bio, Chem, Physics, and then for senior year, a more in-depth (AP?) Bio, or maybe Anatomy and Physiology? I haven't even thought about high school science yet and have NO clue what I'm doing.

My pre-med guy's science courses looked like this:

9th Apologia Bio (Glencoe was here too, but again, it wasn't nearly as in depth, so they didn't do much with it).

10th Apologia Chem

11th Microbio at our local community college

1/2 of an AP Bio course using Campbell's book

1/2 of Apologia's Chem 2

12th The other half of both half courses above

Apologia's Advanced Bio (which is Anatomy & Physiology)

Apologia's Physics

Yes, he had a ton of science credits, but he loved them all and it was good for him to go in well prepared considering med school cares a LOT about GPA.

In hindsight, I'd have had him do Zumdahl's Chem rather than Apologia.  Apologia (even with both books) just didn't go into as much depth and it orders the way it covers things differently.

I'm not sure how well he'll be set up for Physics as I consider Apologia to be "Physics Lite," but he was super busy with his other classes (including Calc, etc), so we just opted for "easy" in that class figuring some intro was better than none.

The rest he thought set him up VERY well for his classes - equal to or better than many of his peers in his freshmen weeder classes.  To date (middle of sophomore year) he's had As in all of his science courses including, Bio, Chem, Orgo, Genetics, and some Brain and Cognitive classes generally dealing with the anatomy of the brain.

Just our experience...

My dd is a freshman in college this year, majoring in nursing.  FWIW, here is her high school science sequence:

8th--Apologia Bio  --Both my kids did this and we felt it was an excellent introduction to biology

9th--Apologia Chem

10th--Apologia Physics & Thinkwell Biology (AP level)  --This was a busy year doing 2 sciences!!  Dd loved Thinkwell Bio, and it had no lab, so that helped.  She hated physics, so I felt the one introductory course was plenty.

11th--AP Chemistry thru PA Homeschoolers  --Outstanding course and dd's AP test score got her out of college chem.  She remembers her chem well and is already using that knowledge in college.

12th--Apologia Adv Bio (Anatomy & Physiology)  --Dd is very glad she did this course as she is now tackling A & P at college.  It is a very tough course--huge amounts of info to memorize, so it's a really good thing she's already had some exposure.

It is possible, if your dc is a high capacity student and you feel you need/want to make time for more advanced courses, to do an Apologia book in one semester.  My son did both Apologia physics books in one year.  It is challenging and a lot of work for the student, so you would need to make sure you carve out the time for it, back off a little on the tests or use just the quarterly tests, and be selective with the labs (there may not be time to do them all.)

Hope this helps!

My older daughter felt that she learned a lot from the Apologia text, and in-depth, without being overwhelming.  She went on to complete the Anatomy course as well. Her public school friends had texts that covered more, but she feels that she actually UNDERSTANDS complex concepts that her friends do not. 

My older daughter felt that she learned a lot from the Apologia text, and in-depth, without being overwhelming.  She went on to complete the Anatomy course as well. Her public school friends had texts that covered more, but she feels that she actually UNDERSTANDS complex concepts that her friends do not. 

That is not likely to be JUST a function of the text, though some texts "speak" more to certain students. It may also be that that she simply had more time to relate to the concepts.  Our local PS block schedules Bio and it is not pretty for many students. Or it could be any number of factors...

I have taught many a class of Bio (4 years with Apologia alone) and tutored some PSers also and will finish up getting my teacher's cert next year.  I've seen kids in AP using the big Campbell book that had no clue about what was going on, lol and others who used living books, labs and an "easy" text who were able to understand Biology on a deeply conceptual level.

Apologia is not by any means a terrible text.  But it is not up to date and it is lighter than some in its treatment of certain areas.  PLENTY of kids do extremely well with it (though you must really do the whole book!), while others may want more meat (and less conversation :001_smile:). 

ETA: The second Apologia Bio book, the A&P text, is a whole different ball of wax. If she did both then she got way more exposure than a PS student that only took Biology...

Georgia