Menu

How to make HS fun again -5th grade

workingmom

I feel bad for DS#2 (9yo) I've sort of been on autopilot with him the last few months and just giving him a checklist teaching a few things and then he's on his own with check ins. But I remember for DS#1 (who's now in 8th) hs had lots more projects and seemed more fun. How do you get back the joy of learning. That's the whole reason we homeschooled to begin with. I feel like since DS#1 got it, it must have sunk in for DS#2 but I feel bad looking at his work, (he still wants to hs and refuses to go back to regular school). This year I was trying to focus DS9 to be more independent and we started weekly calendars with all the assignments written out so he wouldn't have to wait for me to tell him what's next. Sure its working but I also feel a disconnect with him and his schoolwork, kind of like we're checking things off but … I don't know something is missing.

We added an online class to really give him more challenge and last semester it was extremely project heavy, so he was doing lots of building and drawing sketches.  I don't know seems like history is just on to the next chapter, same with grammar, spelling, and vocab. Literature is fine, but nothing totally moving.

We started a craft last week, he wants to knit tube socks, and they have tons of balsa wood to build during free time.  Going to museum on Monday to check out a homeschooling science morning.

What do you do, to reinspire you and your homeschool? Maybe its just being cooped up inside this cold?

I actually dropped all language arts-type stuff this year for my 6th and 5th grader.  I also let them choose what they want to study.  I let them choose what books to read, etc.  I require some kind of writing every day, but they mostly get to choose what they write (for now).  The oldest usually writes a page about a plant species and she fills another page with Latin names of plants and their meanings.  We found the book Story Starters at the library and the 5th grader is working on that right now (along with the 3rd grader).  I read a story, they get out a piece of paper and continue the story.  They love that book!  I'm trying to focus more on creative writing with the 5th and 3rd grader, because that's what they seem to enjoy.  The longer I homeschool, the more I feel like we do WAY too much language arts and too early.  

For history, my 5th grader is just reading on his own from books he picked out.  My 6th grader asked to do Notgrass America the Beautiful (weird, right?).  The 3rd grader is reading SOTW and doing the coloring pages (which she likes).  Our history isn't overly exciting, I guess.  I don't really have any suggestions there.  We're not big history people.  

Maybe more interest-led learning or real-life learning?  Sorry, I probably wasn't much help.  Just wanted you to know that we've been in a rut before, too.   

I'm feeling very similar. Great to have eldest independent and middle doing his work, but... They've asked to go to the children's museum and I haven't even made that happen yet!

I think for me it's more a need to interject energy from me to give to them!

Maybe do a Literature Pocket or History Pocket (by Evan Moor)?  We really enjoyed Evan Moor's Tall Tales Literature Pocket.  I bought cool versions of the tall tales, some in graphic novel format

(like this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tall-Tale-Paul-Bunyan/dp/1434222683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391012108&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+bunyan+graphic+novel

and we just enjoyed it.  I didn't do it exactly as is.  I used a binder and scrapbook paper and modified some things, but we had a good time.

The Sentence Family is also a really fun, nice way to do something different for grammar.  Or I Laid an Egg on Aunt Ruth's Head or The Adventures of Genius Boy and Grammar Girl.

HTH!

Maybe it isn't so much content as connection--Maybe he wants YOU to be there and involved. There's a time for independent work and learning, and there's a time for being in it together. 

Perhaps instead of handing him a list with everything on it, you could trim it a bit and do more together. I know, you are probably busy and you had valid reasons for striving for independence. Now that you've got it, maybe you need to scale it back. 

I'd say build the relationship all you can right now, while he still wants you to be in his life. The time will come when you will be asking him to make moral and behavioral decisions and it will be easier to maintain communication and influence in his life if you have a very strong relationship, since the teen years are more "parenting by relationship than by control." So invest now--and that includes little things like discussions of literature or working on math together. Or whatever. 

Maybe it isn't so much content as connection--Maybe he wants YOU to be there and involved. There's a time for independent work and learning, and there's a time for being in it together. 

Perhaps instead of handing him a list with everything on it, you could trim it a bit and do more together. I know, you are probably busy and you had valid reasons for striving for independence. Now that you've got it, maybe you need to scale it back. 

I'd say build the relationship all you can right now, while he still wants you to be in his life. The time will come when you will be asking him to make moral and behavioral decisions and it will be easier to maintain communication and influence in his life if you have a very strong relationship, since the teen years are more "parenting by relationship than by control." So invest now--and that includes little things like discussions of literature or working on math together. Or whatever. 

I was going to say something along the same lines. My 5th grader is also becoming more independent, which I think is good and natural for the stage. Showing more maturity and capability is a good thing! But, at the same time, he thrives on collaboration. He will do what needs to be done on his own, but except for some "fun extras" that we schedule into his day, a lot of his independent work isn't necessarily fun. And that is OK! But if it gets to be mostly independent and most of the independent work isn't fun... For me, that's not OK. (And because I've participated in these conversations before, I am going to define my terms, LOL. My definition of fun = engagement. I'm not talking about cotton candy, video games, and stuff with a shiny wrapper.)

Anyway, the answer for us here has been interaction, collaboration, and discussion. Lots and lots of discussion. When we get too checklist oriented, I feel like I lose touch with them, with the people they are becoming. And honestly, I forget to consider how very much more I know than they do. LOL My kids miss out on so much inadvertent learning when I check out and get too checklisty. I also find that I get a little  ambivalent about homeschooling when they get too independent. As much work as it is for me to make sure I round out their days and balance their independence with interaction, my engagement with them on a daily basis is what keeps me energized to keep doing this.

thank you for the reminder. i think its more I want the connection. regardless, who initiates, I totally agree its important. We put checklists on the back burner the remainder of the week (even though he says he wants to check off science everyday bc he likes the new series )today we went to panera and I read out loud Mysterious Benedict Society (which I've been trying for months to get him to start). we took breaks and talked about it. then he had some straightening up to do,we made a list of current independent projects he wants to tackle next month (narrowed down form the 4 page list he keeps) then I can make sure to tune in and help guide some of the projects. monday we're heading over to the science museum. and we'll restart from there.

am going to tackle the other ideas from the linked older threads

Anyway, the answer for us here has been interaction, collaboration, and discussion. Lots and lots of discussion. When we get too checklist oriented, I feel like I lose touch with them, with the people they are becoming. I also find that I get a little  ambivalent about homeschooling when they get too independent. As much work as it is for me to make sure I round out their days and balance their independence with interaction, my engagement with them on a daily basis is what keeps me energized to keep doing this.

nailed it on the head. exactly what i was feeling. was there some mental revamping or slow and deliberate modifications?

I just think kids need interaction. Even my very responsible and independent 6th grader loves to do questions with me, discuss his books and every time he has art he asks if I want to read it together and we love it.

My dd needs me a LOT because she is extremely social and not as focused or independent. But I do not let my son suffer because of that. I give her a break and work with him, and that might prolong our day a little but even though some people are so big on independent learning, that wasn't my original vision and my kids love me- they aren't clingy or spoiled but that doesn't mean they want to sit alone all day.

I'm not an extreme extrovert and even I would not want to sit alone to do schoolwork.

So I think you should get out a little but maybe also just spend more time with your 5th grader and be very smiley and very affirming.

I agree w/ Chris and AVA- I think a lot is in how you do what you do. Some specifics that are good for us here- ymmv

-are you doing read-alouds- sharing good books and snuggling on the couch and discussing it is great connection

-practice your skills or content w/ games- we've been doing ton of math games, geography, strategy etc games

- look for various supplements- library books, online videos (you-tube- netflix- etc), activities

- having him check in with you after going over the material, instead of all written output (as AVA said as well facillitating that discussion also brings understanding to a higher level as well)

-follow some rabbit trails- ask what he wants to do and make it happen

nailed it on the head. exactly what i was feeling. was there some mental revamping or slow and deliberate modifications?

Honestly, now it is more like constantly adjusting for the right fit, but not in a struggling way (usually anyway :tongue_smilie: ). It is more like the constant adjustments you make when driving (stopping, starting, adjusting speed, changing lanes, occasionally using cruise control...).

My big blah came after my oldest's first grade year. It didn't feel like it at the time, but now I know it was actually very lucky timing. At that time, I gave myself a big talking-to followed by a total revamp. But that was the start of a new year, not mid-year. In your situation, I would probably do slow and steady tweaks, starting with whatever changes you think would give you the biggest bang for your buck. Definitely talk to him though, and ask what he thinks is working and what is not. I have been burned in the past by fixing things that were, in the kids' opinions, working just fine. Bah! :lol:

You know where I might start? What is his least favorite subject? His weakest? I would partner up with him on it. Do it with him. Buddy math, partnership writing...something along those lines.

http://letsplaymath.net/2009/04/06/buddy-math/

http://www.bravewriter.com/getting-started-with-brave-writer#9to10 Brave Writer podcast link describing the concept of partnership writing.

Could you be his science lab partner? Learn art or keep a nature journal with him?