Menu

Maya Angelou, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings". Have you read it, your kids?

I am completely unfamiliar with this title and the author. However, it was suggested to me as an excellent book for sparking discussions of racism in America.

I feel as though our literature studies have been very ancients/medieval/colonial classics driven and super light on issues in modern times.

I teach literature to the boys as a group. They are 13.5, 15, and nearly 17. Since the youngest has such high reading comprehension, it has never been a problem for them to study together which is very convenient for me, I'll admit. But, a brief review of the book suggests that since my youngest has academic skills that run well ahead of his emotional maturity, possibly he may not be ready for this depending on how graphic it is in terms of the rape/molestation/lesbian themes. Like I said, the kid is brilliant and yet, some of this kind of thing still REALLY bothers him too much...like he is still a year or two younger than his age indicates. I'm all for challenging him, but appropriately and not pushing him too far emotionally because that has been known to back fire on us. 

So, tell me your thoughts. If you recommend the book, why, if not, what would you replace it with that would produce insightful discussions on racism in America from say the 1930's-1970's time frame.

If you've read it with your kids, what were your discussions like?

Thanks,

Faith

I have read it.  I would say it is not appropriate for a 13yo, and it would depend on the older kids' maturity.  It tells about sexual choices the girl makes during high school that would not be appropriate for many teens to read about.  And in general, the lifestyle stuff would be hard for a teen boy to understand; it could cause kids to form even more racist views actually.  I consider it a pretty good book for mature adults.

I haven't read it in years. Going by memory, i would say that it is not a good choice for your situation. Not just because of the disturbing themes, but because it is not likely to spark the discussions on racial issues you are seeking. They are certainly present in the book, but, ime, they are eclipsed by the personal narrative. 

It is a memoir, rather episodic iirc, so it might work to read excerpts from it. 

I don't have specific alternatives in mind, but I'm definitely planning to cover the integration of the school system, particularly Ruby Bridges, who integrated one New Orleans school all by her 6-yr-old self. The picture of her in her little school dress and Mary Jane shoes, surrounded by armed federal agents, slays me every time. I think they will connect to kids being involved, and the amazing courage displayed. Also, RB is still alive and well, making the point that this did not all happen in the distant past. 

Definitely cover leadership of the movement that goes above and beyond MLK and the I have a dream speech. 

Are you planning to assign some independent reading in addition to the group reading? There are definitely some books and details that the 13-yr-old probably shouldn't read, while the 17-yr-old certainly should. 

Edited to add that most people know there is a Maya Angelo poem also titled I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, but not everyone realizes it was inspired by a work from an earlier poet: Sympathy, by Paul Laurence Dunbar. The final line of his poem is I know why the caged bird sings!

I love the Dunbar poem. Love it. It is the first poem I had an emotional reaction to - it was on the reading portion of a standardized test in elementary school, and it's a wonder I ever filled in any bubbles, because I just kept reading that poem and staring into space. 

Angelo's final volume in her autobiography also takes its title from Dunbar's poem: A Song Flung Up to Heaven.

So, tell me your thoughts. If you recommend the book, why, if not, what would you replace it with that would produce insightful discussions on racism in America from say the 1930's-1970's time frame.

It isn't exactly a replacement for Angelou's book, but if your kids haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird yet, I'd suggest that. I think that's one that every student should read.

It's been years since I read it, but I would say it's not a good choice for your youngest. The molestation, in particular, I remember as deeply troubling. I can't remember how graphic it was, but I do remember that the beauty of the writing left me emotionally vulnerable to the more disturbing aspects of the story. I wouldn't recommend it even for an emotionally mature 13yo.

Thanks everyone. Since I asked this, I have been doing some more research and ordered "Warriors Don't Cry" (I think that's the title). It appeared to be much better, and chronicles integration. I think Katilac is right that the personal narrative, given the disturbing, graphic nature, might eclipse the focus that I'd like our discussions to take. I'm looking at some others as well. I believe this one will be doable with all three boys.

Independently, I may assign some to the eldest depending on how time goes. We are definitely studying Dr. King, and "I Have A Dream", but we also have an Ayn Rand book, and a Hemingway novel that we have to get through this spring, and while I'm fine with the Ayn Rand, let me just say that I have no patience for Hemingway. I'm sure many love him, and that's wonderful for you. But, it just about whithers my soul to read his works! LOL Plus, we have two Shakespeare plays to get through before Feb. 23 because we have tickets to a Shakespeare review and so far the boys only have Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, and Romeo and Juliet under their belts. So, I'm trying to budget my time. But, we will be able to squeeze more in over the summer.

Thanks everyone. If you happen to think of specific books, plays, etc. that you would recommend, please post. I'll check this thread from time to time in the next few days.

Thank you for this thread.  I was considering signing up my 14 y/o dd in Bravewriter's online book club and this is one of the books.  I looked up reviews on Goodreads but It gave no hint of these topics.  I think we will wait for a different month with a different book.  Thanks again.

I would go with To Kill a Mockingbird, too.

I've read IKWTCBS and thought it a good(? not sure if that's the adjective I want!) read, but it's probably entirely too mature for any but the 17 year old.  Particularly since we're talking boys...

Thanks everyone. Since I asked this, I have been doing some more research and ordered "Warriors Don't Cry" ...

I was going to recommend Warriors Don't Cry as a substitute. :)

... If you happen to think of specific books, plays, etc. that you would recommend, please post.

We also enjoyed the play, A Raisin in the Sun by Hansberry, African-American female playwright of the early 1960s. Ages 13/14 and up. We watched the 2008 version with Phylicia Rashad; there's also a 1961 version with Sidney Poitier, which might be closer to the raw emotions of the time in which it was written...

Also recommended: Black Like Me, an autobiography by Griffith. Ages 15/16 and up. It is the experience of a white journalist who lived as an African-American in the Deep South in the late 1950s for about 6 months. So, not quite a black perspective, but a helpful look at racism by literarlly "walking in the shoes of another".

If you had girls age 15/16 and up, I'd also recommend Their Eyes Were Watching God by Hurston, African American female novelist of 1930s.

I know none of those are very modern... I need to do some more reading on my own. ;)

I have read I know why the caged bird sings and thinks it does give a good insight into racism especially with what she experienced in school etc but like previous posters, it does delves into topics that will be hard for kids that age to grasp. She got pregnant very early on and was also pimped by a boyfriend that she thought loved her. It will be better for a senior in high school I think.