Menu

Did anyone do SOTW in kindergarten?

AimeeM

Yes... it went fine :-)  We covered books 1 and 2 between 4.5 and 6 years old with DS who is an accelerated learner.  He found it challenging to narrate initially, but I suspect he was always going to struggle with that.  Little DD (4) is joining us this year and we're running back through 1&2 after having had a year off last year.  DS recalls an great deal from it, and this time is adding another layer of links between ideas.  He still finds it difficult to summarise (DD is MUCH better at it than he is even now). 

Yes... it went fine :-)  We covered books 1 and 2 between 4.5 and 6 years old with DS who is an accelerated learner.  He found it challenging to narrate initially, but I suspect he was always going to struggle with that.  Little DD (4) is joining us this year and we're running back through 1&2 after having had a year off last year.  DS recalls an great deal from it, and this time is adding another layer of links between ideas.  He still finds it difficult to summarise (DD is MUCH better at it than he is even now). 

Yay! We only plan to use volume 1 (we'll switch to a Catholic program after that), but I wasn't sure if it would be over my son's head. Can't wait to give it a try! Thanks.

My DD did SOTW1 from 4.5 to just before she turned 6 - she is now in SOTW2 and is doing well with it. We had a lot of fun and she learnt a lot. She is quite a hands on learner so we did a lot of activities with it which worked well for her. When my younger gets there we will adapt it differently for her as she learns in a very different manner. 

I should add... DS is NOT a hands on learner so we did very few of the hands on activities.  We narrated and did map work and he did a ton of extra reading around the topics.  DD is going to want to do every single little activity, I just know it.  sigh.

We started vol 1 in January of dd's K year. We went rather slowly, not in the sense of going deeply, but in the sense of not doing it every week. I wrote her narrations for her, and we did activities. She did not do the coloring pages at all, but we did some of the maps and kept a timeline of sorts (just pictures we had, put in order with years underneath, on a long strip of paper on the wall). She loved the Nile River activity, for example--and would tell me about it, so I would write that down and take pics of her with her "creations."

We finished up at the end of her first grade year. We could've easily waited, but it allowed us to just enjoy it in a very relaxed way.

My 5 yr old boy loved sotw1. We completed it in 13 weeks because he wanted it everyday. I had it scheduled for a semester or more. We did a lot of the activity books extra reading books that we borrowed from the interlibrary loan. We did none of the activities though. Reading and discussing is more our thing. It really helped my son narrate to me by the end of the book. This semester we are keeping narration going with science.

My son can't wait to do sotw2 though. He wanted it right away when he found out. I want to stretch the story though. Next time I will get the audio books so he can listen at bed time. He memorizes a lot of audio books. I do feel that he remembered a lot more than I expected but we are planning on rereading the book straight through for one week coming up in Feb just in case.

Hi Aimee!

I held off with my oldest before starting SOTW1, but dd#2 was in Kindergarten that year. Then, I just threw the next kids in wherever they hit in the rotation. Last year, my ds#1 insisted he wanted to listen into SOTW1 with the older kids. He loved it & joins us for SOTW2 this year as a six year old. My kids are just regular ole' normal kids, but they do all like to be read to. They absorb more than you think!

I read multiple places where sotw 1 is ok for kinder but sotw 4 is quite heavy (?) for a 3rd grader. I'm not sure what that means, but I opted for doing a geography program this year in preparation for sotw 1 next year when ds is in 1st.

We don't plan to use the series all the way through - by the time we hit middle ages, I'd prefer a Catholic program, so that volume 4 is heavy *shouldn't* be a big deal for us.

Thank you all very much!

We started SOTW1 with my son at 4.5. We just listen to the audiobook and occasionally look at our history or geography encyclopedias. We've gone through it very quickly, since my son loves it so much, and slowed down quite a bit to read the books on this list:

http://airskull.com/our-book-list-for-story-of-the-world-volume-1-ancient-times/

We started SOTW1 with my son at 4.5. We just listen to the audiobook and occasionally look at our history or geography encyclopedias. We've gone through it very quickly, since my son loves it so much, and slowed down quite a bit to read the books on this list:

http://airskull.com/our-book-list-for-story-of-the-world-volume-1-ancient-times/

Do you think the audio book, with the activity book is more enjoyable at this age? Does he color the activity pages while the audio is playing?

Another family that did.  It went fine.  You adjust expectations accordingly and add extra books and projects accordingly.  The focus is on exposure and enjoyment for history.  We had a very good time with it.

As for the idea that volume 4 is too heavy for 3rd grade, I think it depends very much on the child.  Also, it gives you cushion to take longer or to take a year off in the middle to focus on US history.  That's what we did.

Do you think the audio book, with the activity book is more enjoyable at this age? Does he color the activity pages while the audio is playing?

We don't do the activities. We just listen to the audiobooks and read historical fiction before bed.

This was my first year of doing SOTW w/K. Since my older kids were in SOTW 2, that's where I started my DS2, the Kindergarten kiddo. He listens to the audio and to his sister or I read sections aloud. He does the same activities as his older siblings for the most part and does some narration exercises.

Guest OliveSprouts

My oldest is five and is very much enjoying my reading SOTW 1 at breakfast and/or lunch. Sometimes I need to pause to define words or explain things, occasionally I skip things, but we're all really enjoying it.