Menu

Device (e reader?) that can display entire page of a PDF on screen?

I would like to read long PDFs without printing them out.  I'd like the entire page displayed at once (with it's page number!) and I do not want to have to zoom in to read it.  I'd like it to look exactly as it would if I had printed it out but without having to print it of course.  I'll be reading for long periods of time so I'd love for it to be like an e-reader.

Am I asking for too much?  Does such a device exisit and I'm just not looking in the right place for it?

I know that a tablet or iPad could probably do this but how are they for reading for an extended period of time?  What are the pros and cons for going this route?

I hoping the hive would have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Santa brought me a Kindle Fire, and I love it because I can read PDFs.  On my earlier Kindles, the fonts was too small -- I'd resize and reorient (to landscape), but some PDFs were still unreadable. 

This has made HSing --on the road and in general -- much nicer.  I can now pick-and-choose what print (e.g., sections of workbooks), rather than having to print everything.       

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!  I'm glad to hear that some people are happy with the larger Kindles.  I'd look at a Nook but we already have a couple of Kindles in the family.

I'm looking into the Kindle Dx which is almost (but not quite) the size of a piece of paper.  I think that might work.  I really don't want to have to zoom in or out. 

I saw that Sony has come out with EXACTLY what I'm looking for.  But with a ridiculous price tag of $1000.  Oh well.

My iPad will show the whole page...  but most of the pdf reader apps only show about 2/3 of the page as the default.  Even with the iPad's nice sized screen, you're still looking at a page that's shrunk if you look at the full page.  Depending on the size of the type, it's not a great reading experience, though it can be better for paging through and finding things.

I know some people worry about reading on a screen, but I do it a lot and have not really had an issue with it.

An iPad is a great tool for all kinds of things, not just pdfs.

The ipad in landscape mode is the only tablet I have that can fit a page width of a textbook.in pdf format.   My kids would still need to scroll down to read a page but they don't need to zoom.  I also have a Kindle Fire 8.9 and the screen is slightly smaller so it really depends on your comfort level.

Dh's iPad is nice to read PDFs on. I have an iPad mini, which will also show a full page, but the font is smaller. For reading actual books, I prefer my Kindle.

If I have a book-size PDF, Amazon has a free conversion service that I use. Each Kindle is assigned an email address, and you can just email the doc with "convert" in the subject line. This only works well if the PDF is mostly text, without sidebars and such. Once I tried converting my PDF copy of The Writer's Jungle (which has quotes and testimonials in the margins) and it was a disaster. The sidebar text was inserted in seemingly random places throughout the text. 

A possible workaround for the Kindle: .pdf is essentially a picture. If you can get your OCR program to recognize it, you can export it as .odt (.doc on Windows) and convert it to .mobi on Calibre.

If that doesn't help, you might have better luck in Landscape mode than Portrait mode if your eyes aren't as bad as mine.

I would like to read long PDFs without printing them out.  I'd like the entire page displayed at once (with it's page number!) and I do not want to have to zoom in to read it.  I'd like it to look exactly as it would if I had printed it out but without having to print it of course.  I'll be reading for long periods of time so I'd love for it to be like an e-reader.

So you are looking for a device with e-ink type display (not backlit) with an 8.5x11 screen?

Have you taken a look at 9.7 inch screen ereaders? Maybe see how you feel the Kindle DX can handle PDFs, or something like  http://www.icarusreader.com/

or https://onyx-boox.com/productsinfo/onyx-boox-m92-black-pearl/

--> are these even sold in the US?

Dh's iPad is nice to read PDFs on. I have an iPad mini, which will also show a full page, but the font is smaller. For reading actual books, I prefer my Kindle.

If I have a book-size PDF, Amazon has a free conversion service that I use. Each Kindle is assigned an email address, and you can just email the doc with "convert" in the subject line. This only works well if the PDF is mostly text, without sidebars and such. Once I tried converting my PDF copy of The Writer's Jungle (which has quotes and testimonials in the margins) and it was a disaster. The sidebar text was inserted in seemingly random places throughout the text. 

Not to hijack but I also have an iPad mini.. do you mind my asking what app you use to view your .pdf's on the mini?  Thank you

I am legally blind and I struggle with reading print over extended periods of time. I use my iPad to read a lot. I read PDFs in landscape mode and it is perfect. I just scroll through them like a webpage. I can view them on the default browser, safari. Or I can use iBooks or a kindle app. Until recently I had no idea that there were PDF viewing apps as I didn't know that one was needed.

I personally use Dropbox to read most of my PDFs because I keep them in the Dropbox so that they are synced to the computer and my phone.

Not to hijack but I also have an iPad mini.. do you mind my asking what app you use to view your .pdf's on the mini? Thank you

I view PDFs on my regular iPad via Notability. It's the most wonderful app ever. ;). I would assume it works on the iPad mini as well. I use Notability for reading PDFs, writing on them, making grocery lists, doing math problems like on a whiteboard, you name it.

Not to hijack but I also have an iPad mini.. do you mind my asking what app you use to view your .pdf's on the mini? Thank you

Whichever app seems most convenient at the time. iBooks or Notability or Dropbox or the Kindle app. Probably iBooks is my default, unless I have the document saved in dropbox.

I view PDFs on my regular iPad via Notability. It's the most wonderful app ever. ;). I would assume it works on the iPad mini as well. I use Notability for reading PDFs, writing on them, making grocery lists, doing math problems like on a whiteboard, you name it.

It does work on a mini. The only disadvantage of Notability is that I tend to leave stray marks on my doc when I'm just trying to scroll. So I don't use it for things I don't need to mark up.

So you are looking for a device with e-ink type display (not backlit) with an 8.5x11 screen?

Have you taken a look at 9.7 inch screen ereaders? Maybe see how you feel the Kindle DX can handle PDFs, or something like  http://www.icarusreader.com/

or https://onyx-boox.com/productsinfo/onyx-boox-m92-black-pearl/

--> are these even sold in the US?

Thank you Stripe!  Yes, these are what I am looking for.  Much better specs (and reviews!) than the Kindle DX.  Thanks for bringing them to my attention.  They're not sold in the U.S.  (I've searched) except for on ebay.  I'll spend some time tomorrow afternoon looking at my options. 

I knew the Hive would have some great suggestions!