Menu

Anyone done the Computational Linguistics Olympiad (NACLO)?

We just discovered the NACLO, and it sounds like a great competition for dd15.  Has anyone here done it in the past?  I registered for her to take it on Thursday (1/30) at a test site, but it looks like homeschoolers can certify their homeschool as a test site.  Any experts here? :bigear:

This will be our fifth year of NACLO. Or sixth? Anyway, the kid has taken it a number of times. :)

We used a test site the first few times, but it was rather far away and quite a hassle (though the people there were perfectly lovely; it was just the commute that was a pain). Since then, we've registered as a homeschool site, which has been much more convenient. 

The exam is a ridiculous amount of fun. The problems are just puzzles to play with. Your daughter can do a few old ones for practice; they're all on the NACLO site.

Good luck!

Kiddo will take it this Thursday for the first time. We signed up as homeschoolers as well. Looking forward to it! :)

Good luck on Thursday!

My best advice is to make sure you have plenty of printer ink: the exam has lots of fiddly diacriticals and such, so it has to be printed in extra-high quality. Also, the NACLO logo is white letters in big, black circles, so it just gobbles ink.

Good luck on Thursday!

My best advice is to make sure you have plenty of printer ink: the exam has lots of fiddly diacriticals and such, so it has to be printed in extra-high quality. Also, the NACLO logo is white letters in big, black circles, so it just gobbles ink.

Timely reminder Belacqua, thank you! I ordered one of those bigger black ink cartridges recently just to be safe but haven't changed to it yet.

Thank you!  Dd (the polyglot) is really looking forward to it.  This is the kind of thing she does in her free time.

I'm corresponding with the head of the test right now and am trying to change our registration to homeschool.  He is asking what the "meta rule" is for VA as far as testing goes (he asked specifically about AMC and IOI.)  I have no idea!  Anyone?  Kathy? :confused:

I'm not sure if this is what he's asking for or why. When I signed up, I mentioned that we were enrolled with a homeschool charter but could I sign up with my own school name instead of the charter's name. This was because the charter's name wasn't included as one of the high schools, and also because we plan to pull out of the charter in a few weeks. He asked what the usual rule is and if I've used my school name in an official testing capacity before and I said we've used it for AMC. So he said to go ahead and use my school name. I'm not in VA and am not sure if this helps you. Good luck.

I'm corresponding with the head of the test right now and am trying to change our registration to homeschool.  He is asking what the "meta rule" is for VA as far as testing goes (he asked specifically about AMC and IOI.)  I have no idea!  Anyone?  Kathy? :confused:

Hmmm...wish I could help, but I have no idea what he's talking about, either! We're in VA, and we took AMCs as individual homeschoolers, but for that test I had to find an outside proctor & public testing location. NACLO was much nicer in letting us test at home with just me acting as proctor.

ETA: my ds participated in IOI, and he was allowed to test at home for that one, also.

Thank you! :001_wub:   He just confirmed that I'm certified.  Whew!  Next time I'll know to just put "homeschool" from the get-go.  There's a possibility of snow here Wed., so I think this is a much better plan.

Good luck to everyone!

It looks like online registration is still open: :001_smile:

Home Schooled Students

If your student is home schooled, you can still register! Parents should go to the NACLO website teacher registration page (http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu/reg_teacher.php) and register themselves as a teacher. Once you get to the “school†option you can select “home school†from the drop down menu. Once you have registered as a teacher you will be able to register your student on the student registration page (http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu/reg_student.php).

It looks like online registration is still open: :001_smile:

Home Schooled Students

If your student is home schooled, you can still register! Parents should go to the NACLO website teacher registration page (http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu/reg_teacher.php) and register themselves as a teacher. Once you get to the “school†option you can select “home school†from the drop down menu. Once you have registered as a teacher you will be able to register your student on the student registration page (http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu/reg_student.php).

Kathy you're so quick. Unfortunately the son in question wasn't up to having this sprung on him with a couple days notice. But next year ...

We have been doing it for a few years. We just take it at U of M because that gives them outside testing experience, too.

Students who enjoy or excel at Latin, computer science, foreign languages, artificial intelligence, math, and/or logic will especially enjoy it.

I've been looking at it for a couple of years. I love the puzzle aspect to the questions. I just hadn't realized that homeschoolers could register their own test site.

I coordinated a couple years worth of AMC tests. I would love to start doing NALCO. Maybe after I get settled in our new home.

Marking this down for next year....

I was thinking about your DD. I think she will love it. They are not very strict about age I think. But we waited till 6th grade to register anyway. They stipulate that it's for 6th-12th grades and if you have a younger student, to contact them.

Who can participate?

NACLO is designed for middle and high school students residing in North America (6th-12th grade). If you are not yet in 6th grade, and would still like to participate in NACLO, please contact naclo12org@umich.edu.

Source: http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu/studentFAQ.html

• 11 months later...

So you can register as a home school site and administer the test yourself?

Yes, but you'll also need to be logged in to their site while it happens to time the test and receive any last minute instructions or post questions your student might have.

Yes, but you'll also need to be logged in to their site while it happens to time the test and receive any last minute instructions or post questions your student might have.

I noticed they mentioned something about checking in at the "piazza" in their last email.  Will there be many messages and changes and announcements during the course of the exam?  Do you think it will be adequate if I check in like every 10 or 15 minutes for updates?  (I have laundry to do, you know!)

I noticed they mentioned something about checking in at the "piazza" in their last email.  Will there be many messages and changes and announcements during the course of the exam?  Do you think it will be adequate if I check in like every 10 or 15 minutes for updates?  (I have laundry to do, you know!)

Oh yes, I think it should be fine. I was preparing lunch and doing laundry too. :D

We just discovered the NACLO, and it sounds like a great competition for dd15.  Has anyone here done it in the past?  I registered for her to take it on Thursday (1/30) at a test site, but it looks like homeschoolers can certify their homeschool as a test site.  Any experts here? :bigear:

Yet another thing I didn't know about.  Oldest DD has been looking at it... she's already pulled in. :)

Okay, I think I've figured out that we can just go to the university and take it in the library. We will have internet and access to a printer - hopefully the quality is good enough. Does anyone know when you are able to print the stuff?

That's assuming they can fix the error I made when registering - I think somehow registered twice! And now it's not letting me use my password because it thinks two people are using the same email address. I emailed them and begged for help, lol.