Menu

Prom dress fabric choice advice needed.

KatieJ

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6646-products-29588.php?page_id=109

I am being asked to sew a prom dress in camo fabric. I can do the sewing, but finding camo fabric in special occasion weight is quite the challenge. (No judgements on the camo choice.  She is a darling girl who hunts with her Dad and it reflects her personality.)

She is looking at the pink version in the above pattern with the lace at the waste, but doing the 3 layer floor length gown.

We have found some 100 percent cotton shirting weight in the print she wants.  I am hesitant to use it because I think it might be too stiff and not lay nice.

As I look over the pattern, the pink  dress ( 1 tier version) has a top layer of tulle and then a layer of satin and lace at the waist and between layers.

The cotton shirting we are looking at is probably about the same stiffness as the glittery tulle suggested in the pattern.

Any one have any thoughts?

Real Tree satin is  available only on line and is pretty expensive, so we are trying to avoid that.

You are right that the shirting fabric will not drape. Now if you put it over a single layer of tulle and then steam it after washing with a lot of fabric softener, it would loosen up some. It will still look very casual, and may not lay properly. However, it's entirely possible that she doesn't mind either.

How many yards do you need? The reason I ask is that there is a seller on Etsy that has bridal satin quality pink, hunting camo for $9.95 a yard. Since this is a short gown, 3 yards would only be $30.00 plus shipping. I didn't stop to figure up shipping. Way less than buying a prom gown, and possibly worth the investment to have a nice, flowing dress.

Faith

I was at our local Hancock Fabric store last week looking at prom fabric and patterns with my dd's friend.  We saw some satin camo!  I remember seeing it in pink, but I can't remember if they had it in green if that is what she is thinking.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Camouflage-Satin-Realtree-AP-Pink-Fabric_stcVVproductId156296391VVviewprod.htm

We don't have a Hancock here. 

It will take between 4 and 5 yards of fabric so buying it online is pretty expensive.

I did see some on Fabric.com, that I haven't seen before today. The order would be big enough that we would get free shipping.  I just like to touch the fabric KWIM?

I know she doens't want pink or the winter white ones, but I don't know which of the Real Tree she likes other than that.

But thanks for the help so far!  Any other ideas?

We don't have a Hancock here. 

It will take between 4 and 5 yards of fabric so buying it online is pretty expensive.

I did see some on Fabric.com, that I haven't seen before today. The order would be big enough that we would get free shipping.  I just like to touch the fabric KWIM?

I know she doens't want pink or the winter white ones, but I don't know which of the Real Tree she likes other than that.

But thanks for the help so far!  Any other ideas?

You can get samples of the fabric at fabric.com.  

Here Joann's has camo satin - do you have a Joann's near you?  Or maybe at that price you could just take a chance…..

I really appreciate your help!  Yes, we have JoAnn's and we have been haunting them trying to find what she wants.

That camo you linked is a military type of  camo, and she wants a hunting camo, specifically Real Tree copywrited print which is much harder to find.

http://wanelo.com/p/4603212/realtree-camo-prom-dress-store-realtree-com

I am pretty sure that I speak for everyone here when I say that if you do not post a picture when you finish, there will be consequences.  I bet it will be adorable and want to be sure we have a chance to admire it.

Thanks!  I think if we find the right fabric it will be adorable.  The hunt is on. Pun intended.

I am pretty sure that I speak for everyone here when I say that if you do not post a picture when you finish, there will be consequences.  I bet it will be adorable and want to be sure we have a chance to admire it.

I want to see it, too. :hurray:

Being a non-hunter, I would never have thought of the whole camo thing, but I think a teenage girl can get away with wearing pretty much anything she wants, so I think she should rock the camo if it's what she likes. :)

Very true Cat! Around here one of the fads is making prom dresses and suits out of duct tape. Last year one of the girls and her friends made one out of duct tape leaves. They worked for months and it was a really, really neat dress when they were done with it. But, what she didn't count on was how heavy it was, and the downside was she didn't stay at her prom very long because she was sooooo uncomfortable!

I'm all for the girls getting creative and not wearing cookie cutter gowns.

I really appreciate your help!  Yes, we have JoAnn's and we have been haunting them trying to find what she wants.

That camo you linked is a military type of  camo, and she wants a hunting camo, specifically Real Tree copywrited print which is much harder to find.

http://wanelo.com/p/4603212/realtree-camo-prom-dress-store-realtree-com

Oh sorry!  I didn't even notice the difference.

I would talk to Joann's to see whether they could get some for you.  The one near me can order just about anything - but it's their largest store so that might make a difference.

And YES you must post a picture when you finish!!  I think it's very cool that she doesn't want a typical dress but one that fits HER personality :)

Katie -

What if one of us who lives near a Hancock sent you a sample?  I totally get wanting to touch the fabric :D

It looks like hancock only carries the pink satin real tree and I don't think she wants the white or the pink.  I have found the white locally and I am going to check on them ordering a different color for me.  My concern is they might want me to buy the whole bolt.But at least I know that it is what we want if we can find a color she likes.

But thank you!

Here are some I found. Not sure what expensive is in  your budget but most of these are 60 inches wide on this first link

http://www.snydercreek.com/Formal-Fabric-page-2.html

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Satin-Dress-Fabrics?search=satin

Yes, I have seen those sites. Last weekend she was pretty adamant that it was "real tree" that she wanted and those websites are a different print/copywrite, but I am going to send her Mom those websites to look at today.  Until last night I was hopoing JoAnn's would be getting in more of a selection.   (their deliveries didn't come in on time last week, so we waited to see what came in this week.)

I keep thinking about your dress, and now I'm thinking that you should go with a traditional cotton camo fabric, not satin...  it will be stiff, but that will make it more fifties / shirt-dress looking, and fun! With the tulle layer, it will be just adorable.  I think finding the "right" camo will be challenge enough... and maybe she needs a little orange in there, too!

I made a flight-suit dress for a party once.  It was made out of a flight suit - a basic heavy cotton in dark green.... and it turned out great, if I do day so myself!  It had a layer of tulle, and it was really fun to wear.  I think the opposites (heavy dark fabric with pink ribbon and fun tulle in party dress) is what made it cute.

Trying to link on my kindle -http://rapidlife.blogspot.com/2006/08/flightsuit-party.html

I keep thinking about your dress, and now I'm thinking that you should go with a traditional cotton camo fabric, not satin...  it will be stiff, but that will make it more fifties / shirt-dress looking, and fun! With the tulle layer, it will be just adorable.  I think finding the "right" camo will be challenge enough... and maybe she needs a little orange in there, too!

I made a flight-suit dress for a party once.  It was made out of a flight suit - a basic heavy cotton in dark green.... and it turned out great, if I do day so myself!  It had a layer of tulle, and it was really fun to wear.  I think the opposites (heavy dark fabric with pink ribbon and fun tulle in party dress) is what made it cute.

Trying to link on my kindle -http://rapidlife.blogspot.com/2006/08/flightsuit-party.html

I think this is a great idea.  Soft cottons will not be shiny, but the tulle will dress them up.  Also, since the RT camo is so expensive, what about using it as an accent (such as in place of the lace) and a coordinating solid satin for the body?

Can't wait to see it.

I think this is a great idea.  Soft cottons will not be shiny, but the tulle will dress them up.  Also, since the RT camo is so expensive, what about using it as an accent (such as in place of the lace) and a coordinating solid satin for the body?

Can't wait to see it.

I actually have been kicking that idea around for a week now, which is why I started this thread.  I keep thinking I should be able to use the cotton and make it happen, but since I am very self taught I just keep rethinking my thinking. THey think I am an expert.  Experienced yes.  Expert no!

BTW..she nixed the whoel tulle fabric layer from the beginning. She doesn't want all that shiny/glittery stuff..

If she's not wanting shiny, etc. then the cotton may be fine.  I used cotton to make a Barbie dress with the fitted bodice and full skirt and it was cute.  Small- but cute. ;)  I used ribbon to trim the top.  Maybe do a little mock up of a doll sized skirt to let her see how it will drape and you get a feel for working with it?  If the print makes the cotton stiff, you might try pre-washing a few times to loosen it up. 

ETA: I had a corset like bodice and skirt  made with cotton once and it was very cute.  I work a tulle type underskirt to make the topskirt flare more. 

If she's not wanting shiny, etc. then the cotton may be fine.  I used cotton to make a Barbie dress with the fitted bodice and full skirt and it was cute.  Small- but cute. ;)  I used ribbon to trim the top.  Maybe do a little mock up of a doll sized skirt to let her see how it will drape and you get a feel for working with it?  If the print makes the cotton stiff, you might try pre-washing a few times to loosen it up. 

ETA: I had a corset like bodice and skirt  made with cotton once and it was very cute.  I work a tulle type underskirt to make the topskirt flare more. 

I have thought about getting some of the fabric and trying a sample to see how it gathers. I like the idea of using the camo for the lace between layers.

I think most of you think this is going to be a short dress.  She wants the long 3 tiered version on the pattern.  Which means lots of gathers and lots of layers.  If the cotton doesn't drape nice, it will be stiff and ugly.  That's my concern.

I have thought about getting some of the fabric and trying a sample to see how it gathers. I like the idea of using the camo for the lace between layers.

I think most of you think this is going to be a short dress.  She wants the long 3 tiered version on the pattern.  Which means lots of gathers and lots of layers.  If the cotton doesn't drape nice, it will be stiff and ugly.  That's my concern.

I would use one of the views that doesn't gather the skirt to the waistband.  I think it will avoid bulk at the waist.  I'm not clear how long the "long" version of that view is, but you can always add length to the appropriate pieces if needed.  

That said, this is a *very* tricky dress to do well, and will probably look best on a pretty thin girl.  Just make sure her expectations are realistic.  Talk to her about what she likes about the dress, and consider doing some sketches to be sure you are on the same page and she understands how the dress will drape on her.  You might find that you can get her "essential elements" on a dress with simpler lines that is more suited to the fabric.