Menu

Favorite Hot Cocoa Recipe?

kwg

We are having some kids over (co op day plus birthday party!) and it snowed here for the first time in like two years! So I was thinking of having some ready. Maybe.  If I get the cake done.  

So, for about 11-15 kids plus moms, what is your fav recipe? I see a bunch online but am hesitant to try any lol.  

I was thinking something in a crockpot would be easiest but I am open :-)

Thank you in advance!

Ibarra Mexican Chocolate. You might be able to find it in your local market.

If not, then yup, the recipe on the side of the Hershey's cocoa can. And then you can plop real whipped cream on the top of each mug, or marshmallows, because that will keep the skin from forming on the surface of the hot milk (mixes that use water instead of milk don't need the marshmallows, but it's such a tradition that people do it anyway.). And FTR, I don't serve hot chocolate with spoons, which some people do so they can scoop off the marshmallows. I'm just mean like that, lol.

The recipe on the box of the cocoa is great. (It's in their best interest to have a really good one!) 

I reduce the sugar by a lot, but you probably don't want to with a big gang that will be used to hot cocoa being very sweet. You can have marshmallows to put on top if you want.

I don't know that a crockpot is going to be a huge advantage over cooking it on the stove. You could cook it and leave it on warm if you don't want to make it on the spot.

I was going to suggest Mexican hot chocolate too. It's fairly easy to find in the US and there are several brands. All you have to do is melt a tablet in some milk (we use one tablet per liter of milk), then briefly blend it in small batches to make it frothy. You could easily do the warming in a crockpot, then blend individual portions if you and your guests wanted it frothy.

LOL i do not know why I did not think of cooking it and putting it on warm. duh! Does it matter what kind of milk you use (whole, skim, etc)?

We usually use swiss miss but I thought they come in packets, lol.  That would be a nightmare with a this group LOL.

Thank you!!!!

15 kids  is a lot!    You will need at least 16 cups of milk.... keep that in mind.

We love the Favorite Hot Cocoa on the back of the cocoa container....it's delicious.  You will need two big pots on the stove.  :)  Yum!

Honestly, I love just real milk and Nesquick.  :)  If you buy the big container at Sam's Club or Costco, it usually gives measurements for making it in bulk.  Put the milk in a crock pot…and go to town. :)  

But back when we were on WIC, I got canned/evaporated milk.  It made the best hot cocoa.  Here's the recipe we used.  http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Rich-Hot-Cocoa-Recipezaar?columns=3&position=1%2F45

Swiss Miss?

LOL  We once tried to make it homemade and my kids didn't care for it.  I admit that I didn't care for it either.  I believe we did follow a recipe on the back of a cocoa container.

My kids are this way too.  They prefer any store brand cocoa over my homemade.  

If the OP wants an easy solution, you could just heat up water in the crock pot, then mix the packets in.  That way the kids aren't individually opening packages, and making a mess.

My kids are this way too.  They prefer any store brand cocoa over my homemade.  

If the OP wants an easy solution, you could just heat up water in the crock pot, then mix the packets in.  That way the kids aren't individually opening packages, and making a mess.

Alas...the loss of a tasty event...making hot chocolate, with real milk, putting on the marshmallows or whipped cream...hot water and packets just isn't the same, lol.

A little vanilla extract helps the hot chocolate. :-)

I'll be honest...I am not a lover of hot cocoa, but recently a friend posted this recipe to her Facebook page claiming it was the BEST hot chocolate ever. The next time it turned cold I decided I'd make some for the kids. 

Well....it really IS the best hot chocolate ever. Even I liked it. My dh was like "Wow!" and took an entire thermos up to his office. It really tastes like a melted chocolate bar. You would probably want to double this for a group that big.

Best Hot Chocolate Ever

1 1/2 cups whipping cream

14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
6 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips (milk chocolate or semi-sweet) We used milk chocolate.

Stir together in a crockpot and cook on low for 2 hours stirring occasionally. Obviously you could do it on the stove top if you wanted.

Alas...the loss of a tasty event...making hot chocolate, with real milk, putting on the marshmallows or whipped cream...hot water and packets just isn't the same, lol.

A little vanilla extract helps the hot chocolate. :-)

I know!  I have all these visions of them coming in from the snow to steaming hot cups of delicious, homemade cocoa.   

Oh one thing we do when we have leftover candy corn is to turn the top into melted snow men.  Put a layer of whipped cream on top of the hot cocoa… and then use two mini chocolate chips (or mini M&Ms…or whatever) for eyes… a candy corn for the nose…and then a smile of chocolate chips.  Very fun. :)

Another thing is to offer both marshmallows and whipped cream…. maybe with sprinkles or something.  Live it up! :)