Menu

Recipe blogs

OnTheBrink

Am I the only one who's OVER this trend of taking a picture for every. single. step. in a recipe? I don't mind it if it's showing some easy trick, or if the picture is needed to clarify a step, but do we really need a picture showing someone spraying PAM on a cookie sheet? Have we gotten so stupid that we need a visual of how to put ingredients into a bowl? I like pictures of the ingredients, especially if the recipe calls for something unusual or something I've never bought and wouldn't know where to find. I like pictures of the end result. It's nice to know what I made looks the way it's supposed to. But I hate having to scroll through all these stupid pictures to get to the recipe! Bottom line, people. Just give me the bottom line! LOL

Agreed.  It's barely tolerable if they post the complete photo-less recipe somewhere, but it's awful to cook from a recipe that's strung out for miles.

I did do a series of recipes where I broke that rule, but it was more to record how and what I cooked in a certain place than to convince anyone to actually cook from the recipes.  Because no one would do that.

I like to see a picture of the finished product to see what I'm aiming for and pictures of complicated steps (such as with bread or pastries). Otherwise, I just want to see a standard recipe. My favorite recipe blog is Mel's Kitchen Cafe and she sticks to that pretty well. I unsubcribed from the Pioneer Woman long ago because I couldn't tolerate scrolling through so many extraneous pictures and descriptions.  :willy_nilly: It seems like a lot of bloggers try to copy her style, so I avoid them as well.

I agree.  It wouldn't bother me if the recipe was at the top of the page.  Up until last month, we had pretty slow DSL.  It would take so long for a photo-heavy blog to load, I would just give up.  Now, it doesn't bother me as much.  I do like to see a beautiful photo of the finished product.

Yes, that drives me crazy too, especially PWs blog, where it takes forever to load and I can't even scroll down to get to the recipe without it jumping back every time a picture loads.

I like Our Best Bites. They usually aren't too picture heavy unless it's a step-by-step tutorial where the pictures are useful :)

http://www.ourbestbites.com

I like to see a picture of the finished product to see what I'm aiming for and pictures of complicated steps (such as with bread or pastries). Otherwise, I just want to see a standard recipe. My favorite recipe blog is Mel's Kitchen Cafe and she sticks to that pretty well. I unsubcribed from the Pioneer Woman long ago because I couldn't tolerate scrolling through so many extraneous pictures and descriptions. :willy_nilly: It seems like a lot of bloggers try to copy her style, so I avoid them as well.

Mel's kitchen cafe is the only one I check frequently!

Thanks for letting me know ladies!

I've always taken pictures of all the steps because I thought that was how you were "supposed" to do a blog post about your recipe, but I will cease immediately!

Seriously....you've saved me a ton of time.  :hurray:

Thanks for letting me know ladies!

I've always taken pictures of all the steps because I thought that was how you were "supposed" to do a blog post about your recipe, but I will cease immediately!

Seriously....you've saved me a ton of time.  :hurray:

OK, I'm curious - how did you determine there was a specific way you were supposed to do it?   (If that sounds snarky, I don't mean it to!)

OK, I'm curious - how did you determine there was a specific way you were supposed to do it?   (If that sounds snarky, I don't mean it to!)

When I first started putting recipes on my blog, I looked at how some of the more popular blogs that i followed did it and that's what they did. Pioneer Woman being one of them.