Menu

How Do You Get New Earrings In?

Jean in Newcastle

IMO, she removed them a bit too soon.  Also, at this early stage, the ears should not be without earrings, even overnight.  My youngest dd removed hers at 6 weeks post piercing, and I had a heckuva time getting the new ones in.  I did have to go through the back and felt that I was doing a slight repiercing.  There was even a bit of blood.  When I put the new ones in the front after pushing them through from the back to open up the hole well, I dipped them in antibiotic ointment so they would not stick.  Also, since I put those new ones in, I turn them daily.  All seems well, but I am not taking them out for a long time!

IMO, she removed them a bit too soon.  Also, at this early stage, the ears should not be without earrings, even overnight.  My youngest dd removed hers at 6 weeks post piercing, and I had a heckuva time getting the new ones in.  I did have to go through the back and felt that I was doing a slight repiercing.  There was even a bit of blood.  When I put the new ones in the front after pushing them through from the back to open up the hole well, I dipped them in antibiotic ointment so they would not stick.  Also, since I put those new ones in, I turn them daily.  All seems well, but I am not taking them out for a long time!

I was afraid of this.  I had to send her to church without anything in - we just didn't have any more time to mess with it.  But when she gets back I will put the old ones back in (as I Talk to Trees suggested) and I'll make her leave them in for awhile longer.  She'll be upset but. . . I'm not sure what else we can do about it.  And yes, there was some blood this morning.  

I was afraid of this.  I had to send her to church without anything in - we just didn't have any more time to mess with it.  But when she gets back I will put the old ones back in (as I Talk to Trees suggested) and I'll make her leave them in for awhile longer.  She'll be upset but. . . I'm not sure what else we can do about it.  And yes, there was some blood this morning.  

That is a good plan.  My dd cried a little.  I felt bad, but I didn't want the holes to close up and start again at square one.  My dd's were not infected - they just weren't entirely healed.  She badgered me constantly to take them out, and I wouldn't allow her to do it until the 6 weeks had passed...but we STILL had issues.  Now she does not badger me to take them out and put new ones in because she remembers what happened.

My mom used to put just a little bit of Vaseline on them to help them slip through, although I have heard it may not be the best thing to do because it can keep them from healing well because they stay to moist.  It never seemed to be a problem for me though.

I always have trouble getting DD's earrings in.  The angle just seems odd, so I taught her to do them herself.

I can't leave mine out for long and they've been pierced for 25+ years. I had a hard time getting a pair in after my first DD was born and they were out for about 24 hours after the surgery.

I agree with trying from the back. I hope you can get them in without too much trouble.

You have to get the angle right and push them through. I think you are supposed to wait at least 6 weeks. Now I would leave them for another month or 6 weeks. Many people have trouble the first while with earrings. They either take them out too early like your dd or they don't keep them clean and turn them or they put the backs on too tightly and don't clean them. The infections I've seen in schools and doctors offices are quite something!! Good luck to your dd. I know it's hard to wait but it's really worth it. (If you/she can't get them back in she'll have to wait for them to heal and get them repierced .)

Poor kid. :-(

Do have her leave them in for a good amount of time now that they need some re-healing.  My 10yos were in for almost 6 months, and my 11yos were in for more than a year b/c we couldn't get the piercing backings off and she was afraid to yank too hard.  Now they slide pairs in and out without even looking in the mirror.  Not that I'm saying they should be in that long, lol, but full healing really does make a difference.